I had to get a nexus 5, and returned it after 8 hours

Search This thread

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
So here's the story.
Yesterday I dropped, my beloved, motox and broke the screen. So I scrambled on kijjiji to find a used one. I only managed to find 2,one guy was asking 260 and another guy was asking 340.
I decided to check my carrier to see if I was eligible for an upgrade. I was with an early upgrade fee (125), I thought this was great. So I clicked to search for a motox but Rogers doesn't sell it anymore. So I had to settle for a nexus 5 ($0 on 2 year renewal).
I've been playing with it for 2 hours and I already miss my motox, I can't wait to sell this thing and get the new motox (motox+1).

Pros of the nexus 5 over a motox:
Not much. I really have to struggle to put something here.
-Okay no carrier name in the notification shade.
-Timely updates.
-Grippy back.
-Lighter

Cons:
Everything.
-I miss touchless control (I miss being able to say 'OK Google now' from anywhere and it would respond)
-I miss touchless notifications
-I miss twist to launch camera (I didn't think I'd use this feature as much as I did). Its so handy to grab the phone and twist it and the camera is ready to shoot.
-I miss being able to press anywhere on the viewfinder to take a picture.
-camera controls are crap
-placement of power and volume buttons are to high up on the phone

Motox did so many things right

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vikramkhalsa

WannabeKula

Sep 22, 2009
I just had the same exact thing happen to me.

My wife dropped my Moto X and cracked the screen, i then bought a 32gb Nexus 5 from EBay and I don't like it !.

The Touchless controls and active notifications are the things I miss the most.

I find the camera also to suck on the Nexus 5.

So a friend yesterday sent me this article.

I can't post the link as I'm a new user so I will private message it to you.

If your Moto X is still under warranty and you used the moto maker, you can request RMA and send back to Motorola.

Motorola will let you recreate a new moto x for free !
Once you receive your new free replacement you are obligated to send back your broken moto x within 10 days otherwise they will charge full price for the new handset.

The Article has all the details.

If you have any questions, just hit me up !

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
Wannabekula, thanks for article I responded to the private message.

The motox should have sold better than the nexus5.

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I went from nexus 5 to moto x and while I am using more and more of the unique features such as touch less control (driving) and the camera hand twist, I will disagree with you that the moto x has the better camera. Camera and screen are where the nexus 5 have the advantage. My wife still has her nexus 5 her pictures of the same things we shoot come out on top more often than not. Mostly because of the OIS. Color accuracy is better on the n5 as well. Don't get me wrong, the moto x has definitely grown on me and touch less controls are becoming a MUST. If the moto x+1 can fix those few gripes I'll definitely stay in the moto family. oh and moto x on average gets better battery life than my n5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
I went from nexus 5 to moto x and while I am using more and more of the unique features such as touch less control (driving) and the camera hand twist, I will disagree with you that the moto x has the better camera. Camera and screen are where the nexus 5 have the advantage. My wife still has her nexus 5 her pictures of the same things we shoot come out on top more often than not. Mostly because of the OIS. Color accuracy is better on the n5 as well. Don't get me wrong, the moto x has definitely grown on me and touch less controls are becoming a MUST. If the moto x+1 can fix those few gripes I'll definitely stay in the moto family. oh and moto x on average gets better battery life than my n5.

I never implied the picture quality on the motox is better, I was simply saying the camera controls are better in the motox. For example if you want to flip to front camera the control is right there on the viewfinder I don't have to go into a menu to do it. Same applies for taking a video it's right there.
Motorola really made the motox functional. If they had priced it right, it would have sold like crazy.

Damn I thought Moto X had a great build quality! I am scared to buy it now!
It does have a great build. You won't be disappointed. Get it.

ericizzy1

Apr 28, 2006
moto x is the best phone i ever had to date. and im not looking to replace it because its so good

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I never implied the picture quality on the motox is better, I was simply saying the camera controls are better in the motox. For example if you want to flip to front camera the control is right there on the viewfinder I don't have to go into a menu to do it. Same applies for taking a video it's right there.
Motorola really made the motox functional. If they had priced it right, it would have sold like crazy.

It does have a great build. You won't be disappointed. Get it.

The camera part was more directed to the person who said the nexus 5 camera sucks. I do like most of the motox cameras features. I like that you don't pinch to zoom, you just swipe up or down and you can do burst mode by just holding down on the screen.

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
After only only 8 hours with the nexus5 I've decided to return it. I can't deal with its shortcomings. Also it's got issues when streaming music over bluetooth, a lot of crackling, seems to be a common problem.
I'd rather have a broken (screen) motox than a new nexus5.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I have the Nexus 5 and I love it. I upgraded from Galaxy S3 and if the Moto X had launched in the UK before the N5 then I may have bought it. I say *may* because the screen is the same resolution as my old phone plus it was smaller. And the outdated processor did not impress me either.

Although I don't know how much I would actually use it I am pretty jealous of the 'always listening' feature of the Moto X though and I'm strongly considering getting the X+1, so long as Moto don't pull the same stunt they did with the X; 'Let's release it in the US but then wait six months before getting it to any other country'.

If they pull that again then it's highly likely I will be tempted by the Nexus 6 or Android Silver line (whichever actually happens) which, if history serves as a guide, will come out towards the end of the year.
Which would be a shame because I wouldn't mind swapping my Snapdragon 800/1080p/2GB RAM/32GB storage phone for one of the same specification soon - but there's no way I would do that next year, when Snapdragon 801 will have been superceded by 805, and pretty much every flagship is going to have 3GB RAM and QHD display by that time. That would just stick in my craw a bit too much.

Last edited:

Julianocas

Mar 29, 2012
I have the Nexus 5 and I love it. I upgraded from Galaxy S3 and if the Moto X had launched in the UK before the N5 then I may have bought it. I say *may* because the screen is the same resolution as my old phone plus it was smaller. And the outdated processor did not impress me either.

Although I don't know how much I would actually use it I am pretty jealous of the 'always listening' feature of the Moto X though and I'm strongly considering getting the X+1, so long as Moto don't pull the same stunt they did with the X; 'Let's release it in the US but then wait six months before getting it to any other country'.

If they pull that again then it's highly likely I will be tempted by the Nexus 6 or Android Silver line (whichever actually happens) which, if history serves as a guide, will come out towards the end of the year.
Which would be a shame because I wouldn't mind swapping my Snapdragon 800/1080p/2GB RAM/32GB storage phone for one of the same specification soon - but there's no way I would do that next year, when Snapdragon 801 will have been superceded by 805, and pretty much every flagship is going to have 3GB RAM and QHD display by that time. That would just stick in my craw a bit too much.

If higher numbers specs that much, you really need to follow it...

... but, for everyone who had read about it, knows that its not just higher numbers, not even the "outdate" (just because its a dual-core). Simply enough, architecture, the Android necessarily need quad or octa? 3gb of ram? 2k?

eda3u9aq.jpg

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008

Setspeed Trust me man, it's not about the number of processor or anything if the hardware is optimised to the software specs mean nothing. Use the motox and you'll see what I mean.

Motorola did make a few mistakes marketing this phone though. Not selling world wide on initial release, pricing too high and not marketing enough. Because the motox offers all the benefits of vanilla android with the added features of touchless control and active display.

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Had an N5 from launch to replace my n4 from launch (and other nexus beforehand). Both are great, beautiful phones. Came to the moto x for the touchless features and the essentially stock 4.4.2. I love it. It is beautifully designed, maybe a little underpowered, but very well executed. The x8 chip set is excellent, but could probably do better with a slight improvement in the main cores. I've had a few issues, some regular force closes, but nothing that takes the shine off.

Long story short? I loved my n5... I sold it only because I love the features that moto x has... I didn't expect to buy a feature smartphone, but it's a freak in the smartphone category... Long live the moto x (+1?)

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Free mobile app

setspeed

May 4, 2009
Yeah I'm aware that the user experience is great on Moto devices - a friend just bought the Moto G and it's unbelievably good for the price. Unfortunately the X was too little too late by the time it came to the UK.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
We'll see if Motorola learned their lesson with the release of the motox+1. Because if they market well, release world wide and price it aggressive the new phone will sell like hotcakes.

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Setspeed Trust me man, it's not about the number of processor or anything if the hardware is optimised to the software specs mean nothing. Use the motox and you'll see what I mean.

Motorola did make a few mistakes marketing this phone though. Not selling world wide on initial release, pricing too high and not marketing enough. Because the motox offers all the benefits of vanilla android with the added features of touchless control and active display.

I don't know when people will understand that really. I mean look at the sales, all the high specified phones are selling like hotcakes, and the Moto X, well nowhere near. God knows what people like in a highly spec'ed phone which runs like crap. The three devices I had were S4, Note 2, S2, and other than the S2 all of them are overpriced sh!t. Seriously. People call me crazy that I am thinking about getting the Moto X after owning the S4 :eek:

It's like they are buying a computer, higher you go, more performance you get, like they will play Watch Dogs on it. However I utterly hate iPhone and iOS but there's some point why that bloody thing sells well.

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I don't know when people will understand that really. I mean look at the sales, all the high specified phones are selling like hotcakes, and the Moto X, well nowhere near. God knows what people like in a highly spec'ed phone which runs like crap. The three devices I had were S4, Note 2, S2, and other than the S2 all of them are overpriced sh!t. Seriously. People call me crazy that I am thinking about getting the Moto X after owning the S4 :eek:

It's like they are buying a computer, higher you go, more performance you get, like they will play Watch Dogs on it. However I utterly hate iPhone and iOS but there's some point why that bloody thing sells well.

I see what you're saying when it comes to Samsung, but not the Nexus - it performs better than any other Android phone because it's the highest specced stock software phone. I guarantee you that it's quicker and smoother than the Moto X, because of better hardware. If I could get the always listening touchless controls on my N5 then I wouldn't even be hanging around this forum sniffing about for X+1 news! But I can't, so here I am :laugh:

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
After only only 8 hours with the nexus5 I've decided to return it. I can't deal with its shortcomings. Also it's got issues when streaming music over bluetooth, a lot of crackling, seems to be a common problem.
I'd rather have a broken (screen) motox than a new nexus5.

Good decision my man!

You've just saved yourself from dealing with a load of issues by returning the N5!

I've come from the N5 to my Moto X and haven't looked back seriously.

I had so many issues with the N5 that I got Google to send me 11 replacements (YES ELEVEN REPLACEMENTS!!!) and in the end Google decided it wasn't the phone for me and gave me a full refund.

My issues experienced:
-Extremely poor call quality where the person on the other end can hardly hear you and you always have to shout to be heard
-Noise cancellation broken/faulty (looks like a hardware issue)
-Poor build quality as I kept getting dead pixels on 3 of the handsets
-Speaker volume very very low compared to the Moto X
-SIM card tray never used to sit flush with the body on quite a few of the models
-Bluetooth streaming issues

The main issue for me was the fact that I couldn't make phone calls properly. I loved the vanilla experience but I still get that with my Moto X.

setspeed

May 4, 2009
Good decision my man!

You've just saved yourself from dealing with a load of issues by returning the N5!

I've come from the N5 to my Moto X and haven't looked back seriously.

I had so many issues with the N5 that I got Google to send me 11 replacements (YES ELEVEN REPLACEMENTS!!!) and in the end Google decided it wasn't the phone for me and gave me a full refund.

My issues experienced:
-Extremely poor call quality where the person on the other end can hardly hear you and you always have to shout to be heard
-Noise cancellation broken/faulty (looks like a hardware issue)
-Poor build quality as I kept getting dead pixels on 3 of the handsets
-Speaker volume very very low compared to the Moto X
-SIM card tray never used to sit flush with the body on quite a few of the models
-Bluetooth streaming issues

The main issue for me was the fact that I couldn't make phone calls properly. I loved the vanilla experience but I still get that with my Moto X.
Wow that's got to be some kind of record, for a person to receive ELEVEN faulty handsets in a row...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here's the story.
    Yesterday I dropped, my beloved, motox and broke the screen. So I scrambled on kijjiji to find a used one. I only managed to find 2,one guy was asking 260 and another guy was asking 340.
    I decided to check my carrier to see if I was eligible for an upgrade. I was with an early upgrade fee (125), I thought this was great. So I clicked to search for a motox but Rogers doesn't sell it anymore. So I had to settle for a nexus 5 ($0 on 2 year renewal).
    I've been playing with it for 2 hours and I already miss my motox, I can't wait to sell this thing and get the new motox (motox+1).

Pros of the nexus 5 over a motox:
    Not much. I really have to struggle to put something here.
    -Okay no carrier name in the notification shade.
    -Timely updates.
    -Grippy back.
    -Lighter

Cons:
    Everything.
    -I miss touchless control (I miss being able to say 'OK Google now' from anywhere and it would respond)
    -I miss touchless notifications
    -I miss twist to launch camera (I didn't think I'd use this feature as much as I did). Its so handy to grab the phone and twist it and the camera is ready to shoot.
    -I miss being able to press anywhere on the viewfinder to take a picture.
    -camera controls are crap
    -placement of power and volume buttons are to high up on the phone

Motox did so many things right