UrukDroid (Android) - developers ONLY thread

Search This thread

Mavasilisk

Mar 12, 2012
As it seems there will be no updates from archos (firmware related). UD will stay the way it is, thanks for the great job $aur0n.

rplc790222

Dec 10, 2010
San Francisco del Rincón, Gto
This is how I confirmed it's the kernel. I applied the 1.6.4 update, reboot, verified the problem, then ran kd_flasher with the 1.6.2 zImage and the 1.6.4 initramfs, reboot. With that combination (1.6.4 + 1.6.2 zImage) the problem no longer occurs.

As a result, the issue is isolated to the kernel itself. Either the config is different, or a patch is not applying correctly / is broken.

Mmmmm.... I didn' t understad, how can I make the 1.6.4 +1.6.2 image can anyone expkain it to me please and what is kd_flasher

Sent from my A70S using XDA

amicomico

Jan 23, 2009
Mmmmm.... I didn' t understad, how can I make the 1.6.4 +1.6.2 image can anyone expkain it to me please and what is kd_flasher

Sent from my A70S using XDA

Just follow these steps:

- Download UD 1.6.2 update from http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/UrukDroid-1.6.2-update.tbz2 (post 2415)
- Enable sshd using UrukConfig
- Extract zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz from it and copy them on the /tmp/ of your Archos via SCP or SFTP (credentials: root/UrukDroid)
- ssh to your Archos and cd to /tmp
- kd_flasher -k /tmp/zImage -i /tmp/initramfs.cpio.gz
- restart your Archos

I guess that it should be OK to create an 1.6.2-4 update file just using kernel and initramfs from 1.6.2 and everything else from 1.6.4... I'll try next time I reinstall everything.

rplc790222

Dec 10, 2010
San Francisco del Rincón, Gto
Just follow these steps:

- Download UD 1.6.2 update from http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/UrukDroid-1.6.2-update.tbz2 (post 2415)
- Enable sshd using UrukConfig
- Extract zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz from it and copy them on the /tmp/ of your Archos via SCP or SFTP (credentials: root/UrukDroid)
- ssh to your Archos and cd to /tmp
- kd_flasher -k /tmp/zImage -i /tmp/initramfs.cpio.gz
- restart your Archos

I guess that it should be OK to create an 1.6.2-4 update file just using kernel and initramfs from 1.6.2 and everything else from 1.6.4... I'll try next time I reinstall everything.

mmmm ... I see .... I will try it tomorrow to see what happens and report bak later, thank you very much amicomico

Golomidov

Jul 15, 2007
Hi, all
I am trying to install UD on Acrhos 35 home connect, but I cannot navigate with voulme keys in menu - they are sensor in my device.
Does anybody know how can I add sensor keys support in kernel and installation script?

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
Hi, all
I am trying to install UD on Acrhos 35 home connect, but I cannot navigate with voulme keys in menu - they are sensor in my device.
Does anybody know how can I add sensor keys support in kernel and installation script?

I guess they can't (not unless without heavy modifications) - it would probably require using modules for screen digitizer - witch is not supported in Uruk (well and never will :/ ). I'm not 100% sure, but it's seems logic for me.

Golomidov

Jul 15, 2007
I guess they can't (not unless without heavy modifications) - it would probably require using modules for screen digitizer - witch is not supported in Uruk (well and never will :/ ). I'm not 100% sure, but it's seems logic for me.

$aur0n, they are not actually screen soft keys, they are hardware sensor keys - IDK how to explain - look at the picture:
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5682/Archos 35 home connect-1.jpg

Anyway, if it's impossible to add sensor keys support to the installation script - could you please add alternative way to navigate menu - power button double-click or power-button long click or powerbutton single click to navigate and long click to select for example? As far as I understand it is needed only to install, so it kind of pity beeing unable to install only because of this.
Thanks anyway!
EDIT: and, of course these buttons are ok in recovery and boot menus.

Last edited:

Golomidov

Jul 15, 2007
$aur0n, they are not actually screen soft keys, they are hardware sensor keys - IDK how to explain - look at the picture:
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5682/Archos 35 home connect-1.jpg

Anyway, if it's impossible to add sensor keys support to the installation script - could you please add alternative way to navigate menu - power button double-click or power-button long click or powerbutton single click to navigate and long click to select for example? As far as I understand it is needed only to install, so it kind of pity beeing unable to install only because of this.
Thanks anyway!
EDIT: and, of course these buttons are ok in recovery and boot menus.

For those who are interested.
the problem was that in the init scripts in UD installation framework for some reason A35DM specific initilisation settings were removed (video mode and soft keys settings). updating auibox and abcbox with copying settings from original recovery init scripts helped resolve this problem.
But as long as same problems are in firmware itself and its updates (why were they removed? :( :( ) I didn't finish the modification.
If anybody is interested I am ready to help and explain, welcome here or PM.

Golomidov

Jul 15, 2007
And again.
I couldn't wait for somebody adapt urukDroid to Archos 35 Home Connect :)
So I made it by myself. I have merged all updates upto 1.6.4 in one install file, updated needed binaries to support latest devices including A35DM (35 Home Connect) and voila :)
UD has been installed and works like a charm!
If anybody is interested - I can post a link to my files.

besho82

Aug 4, 2009
i need the firmware for a35

And again.
So I made it by myself. I have merged all updates upto 1.6.4 in one install file, updated needed binaries to support latest devices including A35DM (35 Home Connect) and voila :)

Hi,

I have the home connect, I cannot tether it to my iphone 5. although tethering to anything other phone hotspot works, and the iphone hotspot can run any other device ... only the a35 is not connecting! it connects, gets an ip ... but cannot browse or use any internet app.

I thought a custom firmware can solve the problem.

could you please share your firmware with the steps to install it ... I am new to this device and its not like other tablets with easy recovery mode ... etc.

thank you and waiting for your reply.

bloodgnome

May 28, 2011
And again.

Uhm, if your still around: Please post the files, i would love to install this.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is 1.6RC1

This package will also update kernel/initramfs and reboot. It will update apps in /system/app (so if you removed some of them - you may need to do it again). It may show startup configuration wizard - but only to confirm existing configuration.

http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/UrukDroid-1.6RC1-update.tbz2

After update - device will reboot itself.

ps. So far UrukDroid 1.5 installation package was downloaded 32593 times :)
    picture.php

This thread is created for developers and developing of UrukDroid ONLY.
    UrukDroid is alternative Android distribution, based on original Archos OS for Archos GEN8 tablets.

Please do not write here questions about installing UrukDroid on tablet - you can do it in default post - here.

All post violating above rule will be deleted.

This thread is created for:
    • manage people and dividing work
    • plan new releases
    • plan new features
    • help between developers
    • gain knowledge, materials
    • feature proposals by users

Things we are currently working on:
    • Sauron: memory I/O tuning
    • cheefy: backup script
    • Sauron: upgrade/install scripts
    • chulri: dvb support

What informations are we looking for:
    • How to prevent Android from going sleep on system level?
    • Format of bootlogo and initlogo.rle on Gen8 (we are aware of rgb2565 converter etc., but with no luck on Archos yet - I've tried different bit settings 4/8/16/24 and resolutions 200x480, 800x480 - Sauron)

Repository for binary and source releases is currently available here.
    UrukDroid 1.5B2

Hi,

Uruk 1.5 beta 2
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.5/UrukDroid-1.5B2-upgrade.tbz2
    130MB f5fc62f433324f3baf51e000f4b187e2 UrukDroid-1.5B2-upgrade.tbz2

Upgrade (so will erase probably some settings - just like before)
    - recompiled all modules (missing in beta1) for 3g/ethernet tethering and dvb drivers (but I will abandon all non standard dvb cards - too much work )
    - added (again) adhoc wifi support
    - moved libc to 2.13 (and all binaries)
    - configuration and services fixes, changes etc - fixed cifs modules loading

I've added message during upgrade process if it fails (so perhaps we will know why it failed to erase file on your devices - read messages during process)
    Early Uruk 1.5beta1

Here is early 1.5 (beta1) - please don't use it if you are not confident in your skills (reverting back to 1.1/1.0 is possible - but annoying).
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.5/UrukDroid-1.5B1-upgrade.tbz2

It will work as an upgrade of Uruk 1.0, but it's recommended to do it on 1.1 (because you can do full backup in RescueMenu).
    Please copy upgrade file to /data/UrukUpdate and read messages (Uruk 1.1) - device should reboot itself.

It should upgrade like every Uruk but it's NOT tested (upgrade process) so I advice to do rootfs backup (Uruk 1.1 ResceuMenu). Kernel from 1.5 WON'T work with any previous release - so after upgrade it won't be able to boot 1.1.
    This release has probably not working dvb/3g support - but it may work (simply not tested) - it's quite important for me to report what else is missing.

If you want revert back to 1.1 you should flash (from Archos BootMenu) 1.1 kernel/initramfs (http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/) and do rootfs restore from Uruk RescuMenu.

That's probably it :) Good Luck

btw. If you had Uruk market installed, after upgrade it will be gone (there will be icons left) - I recommend to use Arctool to install market (it has newer one and with it's certificates there is no wifi location problem).
    UrukDroid 1.1RC2

1.1RC2 with 2.3.81 changes, some kernel module changes (will see if it still do "soft reboot")
    If anyone knows sure method to trigger "soft reboot" - please let me know...
    First update kernel (/data/UrukUpdate)
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/UrukDroid-1.1RC2-kernel.tbz2
    Then update file
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/UrukDroid-1.1RC2-update-rc.tbz2

With some new changes in rescue menu I've added software way to disable SDCard Uruk boot: You can dissable boot from SDCard by naming any of it's partition "noboot" ('root@urukdroid:/root# e2label /dev/block/mmcblk2p1 noboot')
    It's usefull if you have Uruk on both sdcard and internal, and you don't want to remove card every time you want to boot internal (I use sdcard as live backup only now)