Dosbox Turbo - Xplay update

Search This thread

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
I just released an update to DB Turbo (v1.3.4) with the following features:
  • NUMPAD now mappable to Xperia Play buttons
  • Improvements to Absolute Mouse tracking
  • Can now hold right click (ie. double-tap and hold + drag)
  • Editing of dosbox.conf in manual mode via system-wide editor.
  • Some optimizations resulting in small speed increase (hey every bit helps!! ;) )

The optional DosBox Manager got an update as well, so you can now add your own custom Dos covers. Here's a screenshot:
device20120417134340.png

maddog00

Jul 20, 2010
Woo hoo! NUMPAD controls!

Just to let you know, when selecting custom icons for the manager, I picked Quickpic to find the picture I wanted. Then Dos Manager force closed after I picked the picture I wanted. The Dos manager's file picker worked fine. Just letting you know.

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Woo hoo! NUMPAD controls!

Just to let you know, when selecting custom icons for the manager, I picked Quickpic to find the picture I wanted. Then Dos Manager force closed after I picked the picture I wanted. The Dos manager's file picker worked fine. Just letting you know.

Thanks for the feedback! Will be fixed in the next update. Have fun!

FTAiii

May 10, 2011
Singapore
Gene, if its not too much trouble, any chance to allow mapping of some of the minor keys like : ; , or the keyboard period (.) ?

AIMING: (NOTE: L=FIRE)

\ ! / = I O P
- L - =K L ;
/ ! \ = , . /

trying to map the above to xplay buttons for some oldschool Beyond Castle Wolfenstein action

Thanks for all your hard work in making the app so xperia play friendly, I hope it has improved sales and been financially rewarding for you.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Man so much to map now lol. I feel bad, Gene doesnt even have a Xperia and yet his whole app is going into it lol. Hey Gene, side thought.. maybe you should make the XP stuff be in the seperate DL package heh.

And Hitman... welcome to DOS.. We all go old school ways. HOWEVER I did have a convo with Gene. Sometime once things are stable, A open source dosshell may be added, Which would help people out to easily load dos games since its basically a UI for accessing things and loading the files from the folder.

Reactions: NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG

Sep 3, 2009
Upstate New York
I was looking and they have a dosshell for iPhone dos app ill have to have a look see if it can be used with this

Sent from my R800at using XDA Premium

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Gene, if its not too much trouble, any chance to allow mapping of some of the minor keys like : ; , or the keyboard period (.) ?

AIMING: (NOTE: L=FIRE)

\ ! / = I O P
- L - =K L ;
/ ! \ = , . /

trying to map the above to xplay buttons for some oldschool Beyond Castle Wolfenstein action.

Sure thing! I'll add those mappings to the next release.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Man so much to map now lol. I feel bad, Gene doesnt even have a Xperia and yet his whole app is going into it lol. Hey Gene, side thought.. maybe you should make the XP stuff be in the seperate DL package heh.

Lol. You are right, there is a lot to map now! :eek: I'm working on some improvements to the DosBox Manager for the next release, that will allow one to make a copy of an existing profile. That way, you won't have to re-do all your mappings for similar games (ie. Heretic, Doom, Hexen, etc.).. and I may very well have to roll the Xperia Touchpad support into a separate package... though I'm trying very hard to keep it all in one package.

Last edited:
Reactions: FTAiii

harlzden

May 3, 2011
Hey guys almost sold , on purchasing dosbox for my xplay

quick question does it have save/load state like all the other console/arcade emulators?
how do u guys resume on games?

cheers
harlzden

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
quick question does it have save/load state like all the other console/arcade emulators?
how do u guys resume on games?

No save/resume feature is baked into the emulator, because this is a function not supported by DosBox proper. Saving game state will be up to the individual DOS game; however, many (most?) PC DOS games have the save support you are asking about.

TheVicious

May 31, 2010
I know it's a silly question - but how can I make a d-pad and X as a joystick with fire ? I don't see any option i key assigment.

Setters 2 Gold, SWOS 97, Elite 2 Frontier, Colonization works good - playable, sometimes feels low fps but playable.

I still cannot open elite 3 Frontier: First Encounters - after game start some strange writings appers and emulator is dead (exit option doesnt work). I tried three diffrent version. Anybody tried open this game ? Anyone have solution for this problem ? Thanks in advance.

NeWCuLTKiNG

Sep 3, 2009
Upstate New York
I'm getting nowhere with this I'm so confused how I find the games. I have elder scrolls in same folder as dosbox but its loading up c: :banghead:

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
I'm getting nowhere with this I'm so confused how I find the games. I have elder scrolls in same folder as dosbox but its loading up c: :banghead:

Generally, I recommend creating a directory called "DOS" on the root of your SD Card. You can do this by plugging your phone into your PC and mounting it.

After that, copy your DOS games into the folder you just created. For example, if you have the following games (Doom, heretic, frontier and elderscrolls arena), you might create a structure like the following at the c:> Prompt:
Code:
/dos/doom
/dos/frontier/
/dos/heretic/
/dos/arena/
And any other games you want to copy. Remember, DOS is limited to 8 character file and directory names.

Now once you have your games on your SD card folder, its just a matter of starting DB Turbo and accessing your games. By default, the c: drive will be mounted to your root sd card folder. So if you followed my instructions above, to access DOOM, you would type the following:
Code:
cd /dos/doom  <press enter key>
Then you would either run the game by typing doom.exe or you could setup the sound/controls by typing setup.exe.

More information can be found on the DosBox Wiki and on my FAQ page. Once you've mastered starting games via commandline, all that typing can get tedious very quickly, at which point you'll want to try the free (optional) DosBox Manager add-on.

Hope this very brief tutorial helps!

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------
Windows 95
For those of you who were trying to run Windows in DB Turbo, apparently, someone over at this RootWikiz thread managed to get Win95 up and running on his CM9 Beta powered HP Touchpad with full DX6.1. He also posted some pics of him running C&C and Office 95 in Windows!

I have no idea how he did it or what image/config he used, but he mentioned later on in the same thread about how he might post a video with instructions.

Last edited:

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
With dosbox, not usually needed to do a setup heh. Just load the games exe or bat file by typing its name, once you are in its directory.

Gene, As for Win95. I did manage only to get that working in safe mode atm. Tho I ran Windows 98 heh.

harlzden

May 3, 2011
hey gene_wildhart

i know it's a bit cheeky but i thought i'd ask, is there any way of implementing a macro in the dos manager profiles. to allow saving of the command to run games
without having to type
e.g.
cd dosprogs
dukenukem.exe

as an example

saves us typing it in, with the akward touchscreen keyboard every time we want to run a game?

FTAiii

May 10, 2011
Singapore
hey gene_wildhart

i know it's a bit cheeky but i thought i'd ask, is there any way of implementing a macro in the dos manager profiles. to allow saving of the command to run games
without having to type
e.g.
cd dosprogs
dukenukem.exe

as an example

saves us typing it in, with the akward touchscreen keyboard every time we want to run a game?
you can do that already by going into Edit Config / DosBox Settings / Autoexec <-- edit the auto exec.bat to be :

mount c: /sdcard/dos
c:
cd duke [or whatever folder]
duke [or whatever exe filename

Thanks for the latest update Gene, app works wonderfully and your support has been awsome

Reactions: harlzden

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Yea autoexec would work, and Gene DID make profiles for us now, which is very helpful. Soon once a dosshell is installed, that would help people out somewhat. Rem those new to dos.. brush up on some dos commands. =)
Here are some important ones you will use:

dir /w (This will list the files/folders in your current directory, VERY helpful to find the .exe or .bat file to run)

cd \ (Takes you back to the C:\ root directory which should be your root of SD card)

Reactions: harlzden

SHadowral

Apr 23, 2012
Is there any way to get the locked "Hard Keyboard Mappings" or "DPad & Xperia Play" options enabled?
I´m asking because I have a bluetooth keyboard and a ps3 controller for playing with my SGS2. The analog stick works but I´d like to use the arrow keys on the controller but can´t figure out how to use them -.-

And I use as I said a keyboard for input which makes it a lot easier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everybody,

I'm the author of DosBox Turbo. One of the members here kindly pointed out this thread to me today and suggested I drop by.

Wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for leaving out the "Enter" and "Space" mappings, it just slipped my mind! :eek: But, the good news is, I'm finishing up a quick bugfix release (v1.2.1) and some of the new Xperia Play specific features I already have completed include:

• Ability to map Enter & Space to an Xperia Button
    • Ability to see what current button mappings are w/o having to select each one.

Once I'm finished testing this release, I'll push it out to the Android Market (sometime on Mon or Tue).

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback/suggestions for new features, as I do not have an Xperia Play, so I'm just coding this stuff up without really having a chance to test it. Some of the new features I have planned for the very near future include being able to use the Analog touchpad on the Xperia Play as a true analog joystick, as well as supporting saving button/configuration profiles.

Cheers,
    Gene
    Dosbox Turbo was just updated to allow Xperia Play button mapping / screenshot of the new mapping page attached
    Has anyone tried to run this great app with games in iso files?

I have "Novastorm", a cool dos game, but it's on iso.

I manage to run it on Windows with D-Fend, but i'm with difficulties on android.

Takes in advance.

Sure, ISO images can be mounted in DosBox.
    An example of mounting an ISO image in DosBox Turbo would be:
    Code:
    imgmount d "/sdcard/MyISO.iso" -t iso
    Which would mount the iso image as a new drive letter d:

Click on the link above for additional information (ie. bin/cue images, etc).

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Hey Guys,

can anyone explain me how to run Dungeon Keeper on DosBox Turbo?

I´m getting stuck on the Screen with the CD and the question mark :/

I have the version from gog.com and on my PC it´s all fine, but i have no idea how to run it on my SGSII

Wish I could help you here, but I've no idea how GOG packages their games. I can tell you this, on the non-GOG version of Dungeon Keeper, you need to have both the installation directory and the final game directory on your Android phone. I generally like to perform the install on Android instead of the PC, as just copying over the final installed directory from the PC is not enough and results in the CD question mark screen.

My suggestion would be to try to perform the install within DosBox Turbo and see if that resolves the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Hi. Brilliant app... I just have one small issue :(

On the Galaxy S III I'm running UFO : Enemy Unknown with absolute mouse positioning and the mouse cursor doesn't *quite* reach the top or bottom of the screen (in landscape mode), which means you can't scroll up or down in the tactical missions. So frustrating because it's so close to being perfect! I've been waiting for the chance to play UFO on a phone for a LONG time :D

I've been using relative mouse mode as a workaround of course but it works much better in absolute mode :)

I know it's an experimental feature but would there be any chance you could take a look?

For technical reasons, when reaching the edge of the screen (top or bottom edge) with your finger and due to the way the touchscreen works, you may (or may not) get that final edge pixel coordinate before your finger moves off the touchscreen. The way to solve this is to use the "Screen Scaling Factor" at set it to something like 95%. You'll want to create just a little 'buffer zone' around the screen where your finger can move and still register. Make sure you tell DosBox Turbo to keep the screen centered as well. Hope this helps!
    I just released an update to DB Turbo (v1.3.4) with the following features:
    • NUMPAD now mappable to Xperia Play buttons
    • Improvements to Absolute Mouse tracking
    • Can now hold right click (ie. double-tap and hold + drag)
    • Editing of dosbox.conf in manual mode via system-wide editor.
    • Some optimizations resulting in small speed increase (hey every bit helps!! ;) )

The optional DosBox Manager got an update as well, so you can now add your own custom Dos covers. Here's a screenshot:
    device20120417134340.png
    Gene.. Question, Can one do a Ctrl+Alt+Del? Also later down the road, a "windows" key could be good.

Been fiddling with this booting of Windows 95 lol. Another thing that could be nice is a "reset dosbox" option in menu vs "exit" and reloading.

As far as I'm aware, DosBox proper doesn't support a reset function or CTRL-ALT-DEL (correct me if I'm wrong). I did a bit of research on this, and it seems to be somewhat difficult to implement (reference this thread over in the DosBox forums) for various reasons. On Android, it would be possible to kill the app and restart it via a button, but it wouldn't be much different than hitting exit and starting over. I'll look into a way of cleanly implementing such a feature in a future version if you guys feel it would be beneficial.

By the way, there is a thread over on the ASUS transformer forums with some people having success running Windows 95/98. I also recorded a video of an old version of DosBox Turbo running Windows 95. I apologize in advance for the poor video quality and lack of sound (I was using an old camera phone to record it).

Edit: I forgot to answer your Q. about the windows key. I'll add the windows key for you extreme users running Windows. =)