New Nexus 7 in 2013...Possible specs & would you upgrade?

Search This thread

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
I think it will have a 1080p display. Snapdragon 400 or 600 processor .
2 GB ram.
A bit thinner bezels or a bit wider screen(I personally will prefer a bit wider screen).
A back camera maybe (cause note 8.0 and iPad mini have one).
Aluminium body maybe. Or poly carbonate. Everything else will get minor upgrades. And yes, 5.0 OS.

Saturny

Jun 11, 2012
Decatur, Ga
Wishlist.

My wishlist:

-1080p display.
-2GB of RAM.
-LED light.
-32GB of storage.
-Better processor.
-Wireless charging.

Anything extra is gravy.

jamit018

Jun 22, 2008
1. Better processor
2. 1080p display
3. More RAM
4. MHL to HDMI support, if no miniHDMI port.
5. OS, not relevant. We flash 3d party ROMs over stock.
6. Better peripherals support with hubs or docking.

swisstourist

Aug 10, 2012
I want the same for 99$

Oh come on this n7 is perfect.,,,what you want more?

Just a little bit faster to save 0.5 seconds when opening a page on the WWW?

Or 1 hour more battery ?

Or 2 millimiter thinner?

Or maybe the n7 make you free coffee?

It has everything you need now, except it could now be cheaper....

This is the evolution, tablet sub 150$....

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
It would take a lot for me to upgrade. The N7 hit every sweet spot for its price Vs features I wanted out of a daily driver tablet. To me the N7 is the Game Boy of Google. I think it will take a couple of successors before they find their 3DS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Or maybe the n7 make you free coffee?

Dude.. Don't even joke about that.. I would kick a puppy for such a feature.

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
I wonder how googles naming is going to work for next gen devices? Nexus 8 or nexus 7 II

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

It would take a lot for me to upgrade. The N7 hit every sweet spot for its price Vs features I wanted out of a daily driver tablet. To me the N7 is the Game Boy of Google. I think it will take a couple of successors before they find their 3DS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Dude.. Don't even joke about that.. I would kick a puppy for such a feature.

The 3DS didn't sell to well, the nexus 7 is more like googles kindle fire

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
He probably meant DS. Both the 3DS and Vita don't sell because, well because of what I'm holding now. The concept of a portable game system has officially been made obsolete.

genrl

Feb 17, 2013
North Augusta
Why yes, yes I would.

I'd like:
Higher resolution screen
LED notification
(Obviously a faster processor and 2GB of RAM will most definitely be in the next iteration)
32gb minimum storage

That's all.

TomNokoe

Jan 2, 2012
on the price of the device.. The Nexus 4 was $349 and £279 unlocked for 16GB, but its such a high end phone. So surely the next N7 can once again have a ridiculous price with great specs. The price of the S4 Pro *then* (late 2012) would have been sky-high and probably in line with the price of the Snapdragon 800 and T4 about *now* as it was industry leading, so who says he can't have the latest-and-greatest? The materials for the N4 would have been expensive (gorilla glass 2 all over) compared to the probable second-rate glass and rubberized back the Nexus 7 v2 will recieve, along with an 8mp rear snapper, and with the cellular radios, both which won't be present in the next gen Nexus 7 (3g/4g well that is another story). I don't see any reason why the N7 v2 can't have brilliant specs for a low price point, the N4 has set a precedent, especially with google devices.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
It's a must for the successor to have the same price tag. The only way to beat apple is with price, I mean they could have a tablet with 8 cores and 4 gigs of ram and price it same as the ipad mini, and yet the gp will pass it on by for the mini because the GP doesn't really care much about specs, but they know the ipad name.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
It's a must for the successor to have the same price tag. The only way to beat apple is with price, I mean they could have a tablet with 8 cores and 4 gigs of ram and price it same as the ipad mini, and yet the gp will pass it on by for the mini because the GP doesn't really care much about specs, but they know the ipad name.

Even if you make a 299$ tablet with a 2.5ghz 8 core chip 4 gigs of ram and a FHD 10 inch screen apple fanboys would still but the iPad 5 (or whatever model it is now)

Sent from my Nexus 4 @1.5 GHz on Stock 4.2.1

Jpcsilva

Jul 17, 2012
The only thin i am missing on nexus 7 is the miracast compatibility and/or mhl cable. I really enjoy the nexus 7. Still hope google let us use miracast on our nexus 7.

TomNokoe

Jan 2, 2012
Today nVidia announced the Tegra 4i, the "budget" version of the Tegra 4, with 60 GPU cores as opposed to 72...... I think this will be finding it's way into the next N7!

jfed

Sep 19, 2012
I always love the latest tech.... I dont always buy it but I love it. I had the first gen kindle fire rooted with all kinds of roms. I loved it being rooted it was so much faster than the stock kindle fire but I could see that it was limited with the cores and ram so I bought the nexus wifi 32gb, rooted with a prime rom and it is so fast I cant imagine faster. A faster boot would be nice but all the tweaking that i have done with this nexus 7 has made this machine a beast. Now I dont play a lot of games so I am sure that it is not the best tablet to run games but I do watch a ton of movies and with the tweaks and the rom that I currently have the battery life is great.

I will wear this nexus out before I get another one

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Good luck with that, even if you root and add flash support, it'll never be better than a gigantic cell phone experience. The nexus 7 is world's ahead of my flyer but I still find myself grabbing laptop or heading upstairs to my desktop if I have to do more than casual browsing.

The Internet is still predominantly catered to desktops with x86 cpus and windowed operating systems, and more than often I just find things that break any mobile Web browser

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why cant we just be happy with the device we have now..
    Enjoy what you have now and not chase the future... You will never be able to be content with what you have other wise..

Come on Nexus 4 Erica Needs a new Phone... :eek:
    1. Decent camera on the back. I know (some) people don't see the use - but in small 7" devices, it could easily serve as a camera and analogue sharing device (showing the pictures you took, on a plane or whatever). If it had a camera, I would use it, and I would carry my N7 with me everywhere.

2. Built in kickstand. Surface has it. Make it happen and I <3 you.

3. Whatever is the fastest processor at the time of release. I don't care which chip. Use a Tegra, Exxnos, whatever. Don't care about the details. Fastest. period.

4. More storage space, but 16/32 is a good place at the moment. 32/64 would be more reasonable of course.

5. Move the power button away from the volume controls. I can't even count the number of times I've hit standby when I meant to hit VolUp. Maybe I need to pay more attention, but this could be easily relocated as well. Maybe bottom left or right, near the microUSB port?

6. The screen is fantastic as it stands. I'm not sure what can be improved while keeping this aspect ratio and screen size. It is plenty vibrant and bright enough (although the auto-brightness is too dark in most situations).

7. The back could be a bit grippy-er even. I like being able to hold it easily with one-hand while lying down. It is the best tablet-backing material I have ever felt, but it could be even better. Maybe a different texture could help /shrug.

8. Multi-color LED indicator light. Vibrator (whatever it is called) for haptic feedback.

9. Variable pressure stylus compatibility, pen sold separately to keep costs down.

10. Induction charging compatibility.

But lets get real - the Nexus 7 as it stands is an AMAZING device. I would not switch it for a slight upgrade (a la iPhone 4S to 5).
    So Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is out of Google's kitchen, and us sugar fiends will have to wait until summer 2013 for our next big rush, which leads me onto the replacement for the Nexus 7, which given the cut-throat competition is a certainty.

So here are my dream specs, which are based on upcoming technology and some common sense!, give me this Google and you've got my money.

1) Bigger screen, but same size chassis as Nexus 7, thin bezels are sexy:p

2) Tegra 4 quad-core & 2GB RAM. Tegra 3 might not have been the most powerful beast, but it has served us well, and Nvidia game support is always a plus.

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080 and Miracast. You just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

4) Faster I/O. Moving away from crappy eMMC to the newest µSSD SATA, which will result in two to three times the performance of current storage tech, as many N7 owners will tell you slow I/O really bottlenecks system performance.

5) With all this tasty hardware you need equally tasty software enter Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie.

So would these specs tempt you to buy or are you happy enough with the 'old' Nexus 7?
    People forget that the nexus 7 was possible due to Nvidia's Kai project and making the Tegra 3 available for very cheap.

Stop expecting future-gen specs out of a $200 tablet.

The S4 pro would be amazing for this price range. So really. Stop it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    So Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is out of Google's kitchen, and us sugar fiends will have to wait until summer 2013 for our next big rush, which leads me onto the replacement for the Nexus 7, which given the cut-throat competition is a certainty.

So here are my dream specs, which are based on upcoming technology and some common sense!, give me this Google and you've got my money.

1) Bigger screen, but same size chassis as Nexus 7, thin bezels are sexy:p

2) Tegra 4 quad-core & 2GB RAM. Tegra 3 might not have been the most powerful beast, but it has served us well, and Nvidia game support is always a plus.

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080, you just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

4) Faster I/O. Moving away from crappy eMMC to the newest µSSD SATA, which will result in two to three times the performance of current storage tech, as many N7 owners will tell you slow I/O really bottlenecks system performance.

5) With all this tasty hardware you need equally tasty software enter Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie.

So would these specs tempt you to buy or are you happy enough with the 'old' Nexus 7?
    1. No the bezel is functional. Functionality over visual. I.E the iPad minis non bezeld display is a pain in the ass to hold one handed.

2. FCK Nvidia. Would rather have an S4. Or S5.

3. Seriously 1080p screens I can dig it but not necessary honestly. Our nexus 7 is already a retina quality display. And retina is a fancy zinger for high quality display.

4.SSD would be neat you got me there :)

5. Unlikely I'm sure we won't see it until the end of 2013. I would expect 4.2.x updates like gingerbread.

If this did come out for a reasonable price id possibly buy it. Can't say I wouldn't want to but hey this is just dreaming. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus