New Nexus 7 in 2013...Possible specs & would you upgrade?

Search This thread

nicetaco

Mar 25, 2013
Highly unlikely. What I heard is just a slightly faster processor and a better screen (probably still tegra 3, just a higher ghz). And key lime pie will almost certainly come to the current nexus 7, so if you ask me, I'm not going to buy it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

fcng

Oct 24, 2010
Once the updates stop....

The 2013 version of the N7 would not be a big difference in hardware. The software we know will be upgraded to KLP which is the best part of owning a Nexus device. The 2014 version would be time for an upgrade since we might see octa core. In 2014 I don't think Google would give so upgrades to the original N7 so it is the best time to upgrade.:good:

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Tegra should be changed to Snapdragon with the next N7

Reasons?
1. Our T3 is nerfed down
2. Tegra is the most power-consuming CPU on the market (even with its "5th core for battery saving" feature)
3. The annoying NVidia Prism that makes the tablet go crazy on adjusting the brightness all the time unless it's turned off
4. Game developers often don't optimize the games for Tegra, which results in awful performance (take a look at NOVA 3)
5. Overheating - Tegra 3 just bumps up in high temperatures whenever there's a game launchedu

LurkSkywalker

Oct 5, 2010
So Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is out of Google's kitchen, and us sugar fiends will have to wait until summer 2013 for our next big rush, which leads me onto the replacement for the Nexus 7, which given the cut-throat competition is a certainty.

So here are my dream specs, which are based on upcoming technology and some common sense!, give me this Google and you've got my money.

1) Bigger screen, but same size chassis as Nexus 7, thin bezels are sexy:p

2) Tegra 4 quad-core & 2GB RAM. Tegra 3 might not have been the most powerful beast, but it has served us well, and Nvidia game support is always a plus.

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080 and Miracast. You just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

4) Faster I/O. Moving away from crappy eMMC to the newest µSSD SATA, which will result in two to three times the performance of current storage tech, as many N7 owners will tell you slow I/O really bottlenecks system performance.

5) With all this tasty hardware you need equally tasty software enter Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie.

So would these specs tempt you to buy or are you happy enough with the 'old' Nexus 7?

I would mess as little as possible with the N7 "formula": it is perfect as a handheld, pocketable email, newsfeed, and book reader (and more ---- but I DO use a 10.1-incher for magazines), battery life is solid++, and it's a Nexus (Google updates!).

The current N7 "just feels" like it has a LOT of usefulness still remaining in it.

Above that, I wouldn't mind trading (or more likely, re-purposing) and paying EXTRA for a model with more internal memory, SD, and a MicroSIM, as long as the current "formula" atributes are not compromised in any way. Most important: there should always be an "entry-level" spec'ed model to draw in ever more "adepts".

Last edited:

chrisnewton

Feb 5, 2012
The 2013 version of the N7 would not be a big difference in hardware. The software we know will be upgraded to KLP which is the best part of owning a Nexus device. The 2014 version would be time for an upgrade since we might see octa core. In 2014 I don't think Google would give so upgrades to the original N7 so it is the best time to upgrade.:good:

So you think the current nexus 7 will get klp?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

zekemo

Mar 27, 2012
I will not upgrade. Why should I? Because with all the power that Nexus 7 has it will for sure be updated for a long time. Seriously, quad core Tegra 3 is a lot of power.

You people who update their phone/tablet every 9 months are something I don't understand. What is wrong with Tegra? I've had no problems with it by now. If your tablet needs to be on the top of benchmark result... why? Exynos may get 100 points more, or it opens an application 0.2 seconds faster but I will never spend so much money on it.

Not to mention the social and environmental consequences of device upgrading. How about all the civil wars or environmental destruction that come from coltan mining in the Congo? I'll be running this device till its death. I feel bad enough for buying one in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: eksasol

BenBarker

Jun 1, 2011
San Francisco
Google Pixel 3
1) Improve build quality. Use gorilla glass. Fix the damn screen lift for real. Make them more able to handle a drop without cracking/breaking/etc.
2) Keep all the current features - don't take anything out (like the smart cover ability and currently-unused pogo pins).
3) External SD (yeah, I'm dreaming...)
4) Inductive charging would be awesome.

1)improve build quality?.. I don't need no stinking gorilla glass because I don't have 10 thumbs...
2)agreed
3)Ex sd?... I've got the 32 gb.. No need... My glass is not even half full
4) inductive charging? Agreed

Sent from my Nexus 7/32 using xda premium

vietkao

Mar 2, 2013
Aberdeen
Yes, If there is one thing to change then that would be the Tegra3. IT consumes like a hell lot of power and make my nexus 7 hot after a while of intense gaming (well, i have a lot of those "while").

Other than that, the nexus 7 now is like a boss. Best money spent ever.

Reactions: Admiral2145

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
It's coming up on a year and nothing touches the value out of this thing! HP has a nice looking budget tablet coming out but with a dual core, no gps, low res 1024x600 screen, and only $30 less. Can't see why anyone would buy it over the nexus 7!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Nbsss

Aug 11, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It's coming up on a year and nothing touches the value out of this thing! HP has a nice looking budget tablet coming out but with a dual core, no gps, low res 1024x600 screen, and only $30 less. Can't see why anyone would buy it over the nexus 7!

Lol my friend who owns an iPhone wanted an iPad mini but bought the nexus 7 coz it was $100 cheaper ;)

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009

Unfortunately the consumers don't understand the specs and the value of Nexus devices. Since they don't know the Nexus brand, but they recognize the HP brand so they might be more inclined toward it. But I don't think it'll be successful either since they recognize Asus and Samsung tablets (and iPad) more base on my observation. Google could use a bit more TV advertisement for their Nexus brand.
Yes, If there is one thing to change then that would be the Tegra3. IT consumes like a hell lot of power and make my nexus 7 hot after a while of intense gaming (well, i have a lot of those "while").

Other than that, the nexus 7 now is like a boss. Best money spent ever.
My Nexus 7 never get hot, but I don't game and the battery last the full day. It depends on your usage. And I don't overclock either.

Sent from XDA app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why cant we just be happy with the device we have now..
    Enjoy what you have now and not chase the future... You will never be able to be content with what you have other wise..

Come on Nexus 4 Erica Needs a new Phone... :eek:
    1. Decent camera on the back. I know (some) people don't see the use - but in small 7" devices, it could easily serve as a camera and analogue sharing device (showing the pictures you took, on a plane or whatever). If it had a camera, I would use it, and I would carry my N7 with me everywhere.

2. Built in kickstand. Surface has it. Make it happen and I <3 you.

3. Whatever is the fastest processor at the time of release. I don't care which chip. Use a Tegra, Exxnos, whatever. Don't care about the details. Fastest. period.

4. More storage space, but 16/32 is a good place at the moment. 32/64 would be more reasonable of course.

5. Move the power button away from the volume controls. I can't even count the number of times I've hit standby when I meant to hit VolUp. Maybe I need to pay more attention, but this could be easily relocated as well. Maybe bottom left or right, near the microUSB port?

6. The screen is fantastic as it stands. I'm not sure what can be improved while keeping this aspect ratio and screen size. It is plenty vibrant and bright enough (although the auto-brightness is too dark in most situations).

7. The back could be a bit grippy-er even. I like being able to hold it easily with one-hand while lying down. It is the best tablet-backing material I have ever felt, but it could be even better. Maybe a different texture could help /shrug.

8. Multi-color LED indicator light. Vibrator (whatever it is called) for haptic feedback.

9. Variable pressure stylus compatibility, pen sold separately to keep costs down.

10. Induction charging compatibility.

But lets get real - the Nexus 7 as it stands is an AMAZING device. I would not switch it for a slight upgrade (a la iPhone 4S to 5).
    So Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is out of Google's kitchen, and us sugar fiends will have to wait until summer 2013 for our next big rush, which leads me onto the replacement for the Nexus 7, which given the cut-throat competition is a certainty.

So here are my dream specs, which are based on upcoming technology and some common sense!, give me this Google and you've got my money.

2) Tegra 4 quad-core & 2GB RAM. Tegra 3 might not have been the most powerful beast, but it has served us well, and Nvidia game support is always a plus.

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080 and Miracast. You just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

4) Faster I/O. Moving away from crappy eMMC to the newest µSSD SATA, which will result in two to three times the performance of current storage tech, as many N7 owners will tell you slow I/O really bottlenecks system performance.

5) With all this tasty hardware you need equally tasty software enter Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie.

So would these specs tempt you to buy or are you happy enough with the 'old' Nexus 7?
    People forget that the nexus 7 was possible due to Nvidia's Kai project and making the Tegra 3 available for very cheap.

Stop expecting future-gen specs out of a $200 tablet.

The S4 pro would be amazing for this price range. So really. Stop it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080, you just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

1. No the bezel is functional. Functionality over visual. I.E the iPad minis non bezeld display is a pain in the ass to hold one handed.

2. FCK Nvidia. Would rather have an S4. Or S5.

3. Seriously 1080p screens I can dig it but not necessary honestly. Our nexus 7 is already a retina quality display. And retina is a fancy zinger for high quality display.

4.SSD would be neat you got me there :)

5. Unlikely I'm sure we won't see it until the end of 2013. I would expect 4.2.x updates like gingerbread.

If this did come out for a reasonable price id possibly buy it. Can't say I wouldn't want to but hey this is just dreaming. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus