[Q] Does this phone use a new/different MHL standard than previous HTC phones?

Search This thread

Cyber Akuma

May 28, 2008
I know that Saumsung phones have some kind of weird 11-pin MHL port instead of 5, but I don't know if that is just a Samsung thing or a newer standard.

The MHL adapter I have is the official one from HTC for the EVO 3D. I want to upgrade my phone to a M8, but what I want to know is if the EVO 3D adapter will still work, or if I need a new one. And if it does work, would it not support some of the video output features of the M8 since its a EVO 3D adapter, or are they all the same thing?

uh60james

Sep 29, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I know that Saumsung phones have some kind of weird 11-pin MHL port instead of 5, but I don't know if that is just a Samsung thing or a newer standard.

The MHL adapter I have is the official one from HTC for the EVO 3D. I want to upgrade my phone to a M8, but what I want to know is if the EVO 3D adapter will still work, or if I need a new one. And if it does work, would it not support some of the video output features of the M8 since its a EVO 3D adapter, or are they all the same thing?

That's just a Samsung thing, trying to nickel and dime consumers. Your adapter from the 3D should work just fine. Even if the M8 has MHL 3.0, it is backwards compatible with versions 1 and 2.