Xperia T won't charge when switched off

Search This thread

dskoric

Mar 21, 2009
I have Xperia T on official 7.0.A.3.195 firmware.
It is not rooted and boot loader is locked.
Problem is the phone won't charge when it is switched off and I guess that is not good because none of my previous Sony/Ericsson phones behaved like that.
I have read somewhere that this behavior is specific for some versions of CWM, but obviously that is not the issue with my phone.
Also I have found that problem could be related with chargemod file in phone/system/bin, which should be changed, so if someone can send me that file I can try to solve it that way.

Anyone else with xperia T experiencing this issue?
Any other idea how it can be solved (I have already tried factory reset)?
Thanks.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Problem is the phone won't charge when it is switched off and I guess that is not good because none of my previous Sony/Ericsson phones behaved like that.
I have read somewhere that this behavior is specific for some versions of CWM, but obviously that is not the issue with my phone.
Also I have found that problem could be related with chargemod file in phone/system/bin, which should be changed, so if someone can send me that file I can try to solve it that way.

Thanks.

If you have not tampered with the phone I would be unhappy with it and take it back to the shop for a replacement.
Or you could repair in pccompanion.

Reactions: AndroidHoneyComb

Torres77an

Jul 8, 2011
Burnaby BC
Mine wouldn't charge properly when it was on and I just got it tonight and then when it was off charging was on and off like it was getting unplugged and plugged in again I pressed the power button and now I think it's charging but it didn't turn on I hadn't brotherd to press the power button again just yet

Sent from my LT18a using xda app-developers app

dskoric

Mar 21, 2009
Mine wouldn't charge properly when it was on and I just got it tonight and then when it was off charging was on and off like it was getting unplugged and plugged in again I pressed the power button and now I think it's charging but it didn't turn on I hadn't brotherd to press the power button again just yet

Sent from my LT18a using xda app-developers app

Charging on and off loop happened to me as well at first, then I unplugged and plugged the charger again, but nothing was happening.
After I switched the phone on it started to charge. Now it charges normally when phone is on, but still noting when phone is switched off.

I have also tried firmware repair in PCC and it didn't help, so I think I will return it to the shop and ask for replacement.

lacsylle

Dec 3, 2012
Charging on and off loop happened to me as well at first, then I unplugged and plugged the charger again, but nothing was happening.
After I switched the phone on it started to charge. Now it charges normally when phone is on, but still noting when phone is switched off.

I have also tried firmware repair in PCC and it didn't help, so I think I will return it to the shop and ask for replacement.

I had exactly the same problem. I got mine on 3rd Oct, and after about 7 days of use, I discharged the battery to 0% and it automatically turned off. Since then it refused to charge when power off, and as I have 0% battery, it cannot be turned on, making the phone totally unusable!
I finally managed to get it work again, here's the steps if you also find your phone dead.

1. When 0% battery and auto power off, if you press the power button, the LED light should flash quickly a few times and off.
  2. Now press and hold the power button and when LED is still flashing, plug in the charger (use wall charger not USB on PC). You should remain holding the power button, otherwise the LED will turn off and no charging again.
  3. After about 5 min, it will be charged to a minimum amount required to boot and the screen will be turned on. Now press the volume up key while still holding power button to reset the phone.

I saved my phone just like this, but even now it still cannot charge when power off. Searched this forum and some say it can be fixed by changing the chargemon file? It would be much appreciated if someone can share it.

Last edited:

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
Thread moved. Please ensure you post in the correct sections in future as all questions belong here in Q&A.

Thanks

AvRS

dskoric

Mar 21, 2009
Just to inform you that in the end I have sent my phone to the service center and thay had to open it, remove battery and connect it again.
After that it was possible to charge the phone when switched off. I got it back now and it still works OK. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Reactions: crazymister

mirzargar

Feb 21, 2009
Shame on you SONY

Thanks.

I bought my XPERIA TX today, I have the same problem.the most issue is when your phone is off then it will not charge at all and LED charging will not work.
You have to switch on the phone and then it starts charging.
This is a big fault of SONY and now I understood why SONY is loosing reputation in mobile market.
I have the latest firmware of 7.0.A.3.220

rudiev

Aug 15, 2010
Like 2 weeks ago my xperia t wouldnt charge too. Fix it then like they said here with a hard reset, volume up and reset. But yesterday i had the problem back. The charger was like on and off cause my notification was busy saying "unplug from socket to save energy". I unplugged the charger from my phone and like 3 seconds later it was BOOM, with a nice flash and my charger died taking out a fuse too. Luckely i just took out the charger, dont wanna know what could have happened if my phone was still on the charger when it short-circuited.

So if you have the same problems.. watch out! :)

gothman

Aug 5, 2010
AW: Xperia T won't charge when switched off

Hi, i had the same issue with my Xperia T.
Disassembleing the case and disconnect the
battery for a few minutes solved the Problem
in my case.

Sent from my LT30p using xda premium

inteltecra1700

Dec 25, 2010
How to open the TL?

I have been looking for a way to open my TL can have you any clue as how to so that? I need to remover the battery like you said to get the phone to start charging again.

gpgon

Feb 14, 2011
Get It Replaced!

If your phone is doing this either call Sony +1-877-7XPERIA (1-877-797-3742) and explain what is going on. You're going to need the info from the pull-out tab found in the SIM/SD bay. It will take a few weeks and some Shipping money. OR your provider will probably replace it for free if you can get it to fail infront of them. (PROTIP: Let it die while using it and do not plug it in for a while)

Your phone will very likely get worse until it fails completely. My experience is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43383759#post43383759

Your phone SHOULD charge like every-other phone. If it is acting funny get it replaced ASAP

Mol

Apr 4, 2005
I keep coming back to these threads whenever my Experia T is acting up again. I finally bit the bullet and went the hardware way as described in other posts in this thread and also in a comment on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWox7kCygRE

"In the end I fixed this problem by removing the back cover (one screw in where the SIM card goes) and detaching the battery supply from the phone. After a minute or two I reattached the battery supply (its a little yellow tab beside where you plug in the charger) and put the cover back on, plugged into charger and it started charging as normal."

It's surprisingly simple, to be honest.

Reactions: neosnake991

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.

If you have not tampered with the phone I would be unhappy with it and take it back to the shop for a replacement.
    Or you could repair in pccompanion.
    Just to inform you that in the end I have sent my phone to the service center and thay had to open it, remove battery and connect it again.
    After that it was possible to charge the phone when switched off. I got it back now and it still works OK. Hopefully it will stay like that.
    I keep coming back to these threads whenever my Experia T is acting up again. I finally bit the bullet and went the hardware way as described in other posts in this thread and also in a comment on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWox7kCygRE

"In the end I fixed this problem by removing the back cover (one screw in where the SIM card goes) and detaching the battery supply from the phone. After a minute or two I reattached the battery supply (its a little yellow tab beside where you plug in the charger) and put the cover back on, plugged into charger and it started charging as normal."

It's surprisingly simple, to be honest.