Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

D_Rock899x

Aug 9, 2013
Columbus, OH
Screen protector likely wouldn't have helped.

Perhaps. Only time will tell just how fragile these screens are. I do find it a bit ridiculous it can't withstand a 1 foot drop.

Screen protectors helped in the test linked below. Further testing would obviously need to be done to really determine if they would help.

Drop Protection

"Finally, can a screen protector really help prevent cracks in the glass or, worse, shattering if you drop your phone? I’ve dropped phones in torture tests before, and it’s harder than it looks to crack the screen. So for this drop test, I haul out the ladder and climb up 15 feet to stand on my roof.

One iPhone has a screen protector on it and the other has no screen protector. Bombs away! Both phones land hard, screen down on a tile surface. The phone without a screen protector shatters on over half the screen. The glass on the phone with a screen protector is undamaged."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade...eally-need-a-screen-protector--232808534.html

seboj

Jan 21, 2010
Atlanta
Perhaps. Only time will tell just how fragile these screens are. I do find it a bit ridiculous it can't withstand a 1 foot drop.

Screen protectors helped in the test linked below. Further testing would obviously need to be done to really determine if they would help.

Drop Protection

"Finally, can a screen protector really help prevent cracks in the glass or, worse, shattering if you drop your phone? I’ve dropped phones in torture tests before, and it’s harder than it looks to crack the screen. So for this drop test, I haul out the ladder and climb up 15 feet to stand on my roof.

One iPhone has a screen protector on it and the other has no screen protector. Bombs away! Both phones land hard, screen down on a tile surface. The phone without a screen protector shatters on over half the screen. The glass on the phone with a screen protector is undamaged."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade...eally-need-a-screen-protector--232808534.html

Yeah, that's why I added the 'likely' to the statement. There's so much variability in how the phone will land, what it will land on, and what type of protection it has, that it's hard to make a solid overarching statement about screen protectors.

Protecting your phone is a bit like buying insurance. Sure, you can insure yourself for every possible outcome, but is it worth the opportunity cost? You can protect your phone against every possible danger in the world, but is it worth the reduction in aesthetics, usability, size, etc?

I, personally, use a case without a screen protector. I'm willing to give up the aesthetics of the phone and add a little bulk, in order to protect myself against what I consider the majority of dangerous falls. I'm not willing to stick something on top of the screen, which I consider the most important aspect of my smartphone. In all my years of owning smartphones, I've only had 1 screen scratch or break, and that was due to a corner drop.

Such a simple question as "Screen protector, yes or no?" has many levels to it. ;)

D_Rock899x

Aug 9, 2013
Columbus, OH
Yeah, that's why I added the 'likely' to the statement. There's so much variability in how the phone will land, what it will land on, and what type of protection it has, that it's hard to make a solid overarching statement about screen protectors.

Protecting your phone is a bit like buying insurance. Sure, you can insure yourself for every possible outcome, but is it worth the opportunity cost? You can protect your phone against every possible danger in the world, but is it worth the reduction in aesthetics, usability, size, etc?

I, personally, use a case without a screen protector. I'm willing to give up the aesthetics of the phone and add a little bulk, in order to protect myself against what I consider the majority of dangerous falls. I'm not willing to stick something on top of the screen, which I consider the most important aspect of my smartphone. In all my years of owning smartphones, I've only had 1 screen scratch or break, and that was due to a corner drop.

Such a simple question as "Screen protector, yes or no?" has many levels to it. ;)

I agree completely. I have never used a screen protector on any phone but I always use a case. With the introduction of glass screen protectors I'm going to give it a shot. I may hate it in which case I will remove it but I figure it's worth a shot. My G3 was not in a case when it cracked, the case was out for delivery as it happened. I do feel if it was in a case there would have been a good chance it would not have cracked. I have never had insurance on any phone but I got it on the G3 for whatever reason. There was a $200 deductible but at least I'm not stuck with a $580 paper weight.

seboj

Jan 21, 2010
Atlanta
I agree completely. I have never used a screen protector on any phone but I always use a case. With the introduction of glass screen protectors I'm going to give it a shot. I may hate it in which case I will remove it but I figure it's worth a shot. My G3 was not in a case when it cracked, the case was out for delivery as it happened. I do feel if it was in a case there would have been a good chance it would not have cracked. I have never had insurance on any phone but I got it on the G3 for whatever reason. There was a $200 deductible but at least I'm not stuck with a $580 paper weight.

Yeah, I make it a point to buy a case at the store at the same time I buy my phone. I then go on to Amazon or wherever, order the case I like, and return the store-bought one later. That way, my phone is always in a case, to avoid that type of situation.

I'm really tempted to give SquareTrade a try. That $75 deductible sure is tempting..

Alleskyjr

Jul 14, 2014
Yes. Got it with my ballistic case. Great case, but screen protector tends to scratch too easy

Sent from my KFSOWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

D_Rock899x

Aug 9, 2013
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I make it a point to buy a case at the store at the same time I buy my phone. I then go on to Amazon or wherever, order the case I like, and return the store-bought one later. That way, my phone is always in a case, to avoid that type of situation.

I'm really tempted to give SquareTrade a try. That $75 deductible sure is tempting..

The $75 deductible is very tempting. Be aware there is a 30 day exclusionary period from the day the coverage is purchased. I am thinking of switching to that over AT&T's once I get my replacement phone.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Grabbed some glass protectors from Xtremeguard. Using one now with a Spigen case.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
I got the SGP Nano but messed it up. So many dust underneath from trying to wipe them off. I knew I shouldn't of wiped off the sticky side. Lesson learned and ordered a new one. This time I'm going to a TMO store to ask a CS to do it for me.

galaxie500fb

Mar 19, 2011
pepperell
I used to a long time ago but now I think it takes away from the phone. The g3 feels good in my hand and I don't get the feeling like I may lose my grip like I did with my LG g pro.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium HD app

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
I got the SGP Nano but messed it up. So many dust underneath from trying to wipe them off. I knew I shouldn't of wiped off the sticky side. Lesson learned and ordered a new one. This time I'm going to a TMO store to ask a CS to do it for me.

Try using a wet-application protector like Skinomi or Zagg. You have to wait 12 hours for them to dry, but dust particles get caught in the liquid and get squeegeed out.

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia

I wouldn't say that the G3 screen is any more fragile than other phones. I had the same thing happen with my first S4. Had it less than a week, then it fell out of my back pocket from a foot off the ground and the screen completely shattered. I'm starting to think that manufacturers have simply moved away from trying to provide good drop resistance. The last few iterations of the iPhone, the Galaxy line since the S3, the Nexus 4, etc. None of them can hold up to a drop from any height well, if the device lands on the screen or side. Whereas my old HTC Eris and Droid Bionic stood up to drops and impacts like champs.

galaxie500fb

Mar 19, 2011
pepperell
I seem to think that manufacturers are giving in to the wants of consumers who desire thinner and lighter phones. Thinner components I would assume makes them less durable. To get the phone to be lighter than previously phones probably has thinner screen? Just my guess.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium HD app

PapaRhino

Dec 9, 2011
Buffalo
I just use a Dry Zagg screen protector and the bubbles went away after a little bit of playing with it and about 15 hours, feels a little bit you know, sticky, because it's a screen protector and not glass, but I'm happy with it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just ordered that Spigen Glass.tR Nano tempered glass protector. It's pricy and you only get one so I really hope I don't screw up the installation.
    if you manage align the screen protector you sould not worry just follow the step by step tutorial that is includded