[Q] Please help me with TWRP on 6.3.3

Search This thread

Aareon

Jul 5, 2014
Hi, I'm Aareon. I've read in multiple places that 6.3.3 can be downgraded to 6.3.2, but I've read elsewhere that 6.3.3 doesn't work with KFU (Kindle Fire Utility). From experience, I've noticed that KFU 0.9.6 doesn't work with the Boot Status of 6.3.3. It is imperative that Boot Status displays correctly in-order for the rest of the software to function appropriately.

I guess my ultimate question is; 'Am I wasting my time?'

Please, legitimate answers preferably with explanation, of some sort.

P.S. I've seen the 6.3.3 pre-rooted update, but that requires TWRP, which I've explained my plight above.
@sd_shadow

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi, I'm Aareon. I've read in multiple places that 6.3.3 can be downgraded to 6.3.2,
yes it can be downgraded but once connected to wifi, 6.3.3 will be downloaded, and an attempt to auto install will be made, at least once a day.
but I've read elsewhere that 6.3.3 doesn't work with KFU (Kindle Fire Utility). From experience, I've noticed that KFU 0.9.6 doesn't work with the Boot Status of 6.3.3. It is imperative that Boot Status displays correctly in-order for the rest of the software to function appropriately.
reported boot status is just for reference, and does not directly affect the options available, nor does it mean options will or will not work.
If 6.3.3 is installed and you do not have a fastboot cable, Yes you are wasting your time.

P.S. I've seen the 6.3.3 pre-rooted update, but that requires TWRP, which I've explained my plight above.
@sd_shadow
more details and my Video posted here [2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

I've requested that this be moved to Amazon Kindle Fire Q and A

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

moved: thanks @Naddict

Last edited:
Reactions: Naddict

Aareon

Jul 5, 2014
Fastoot

yes it can be downgraded but once connected to wifi, 6.3.3 will be downloaded, and an attempt to auto install will be made, at least once a day.
reported boot status is just for reference, and does not directly affect the options available, nor does it mean options will or will not work.
If 6.3.3 is installed and you do not have a fastboot cable, Yes you are wasting your time.
more details and my Video posted here [2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Yes, I do in-fact have a fastboot cable. It came with my mail delivery purchase of N2Aos. My next question is, I don't understand why, when I tell KFU to send my Kindle into Normal mode, it says 'waiting on device' forever. Also, if I try installing TWRP after I think I've gotten myself into fastboot, it says 'can't write to bp1, panic'. This goes for every time I've tried. Have I missed a step in your tutorial, or what?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I wouldn't use KFU, just the ade/fastboot.exe files from KFU
did you watch my video?
If using KFU, try power off kindle, connect fastboot cable, to both kindle/pc, wait a sec, start KFU, select install TWRP (not root)

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Yes, I do in-fact have a fastboot cable. It came with my mail delivery purchase of N2Aos. My next question is, I don't understand why, when I tell KFU to send my Kindle into Normal mode, it says 'waiting on device' forever. Also, if I try installing TWRP after I think I've gotten myself into fastboot, it says 'can't write to bp1, panic'. This goes for every time I've tried. Have I missed a step in your tutorial, or what?
Bp1, panic is because of how KFU is trying to set the boot,ode which is no longer possible on 6.3.3 if you are using your so called fastboot cable correctly it will work. I say so called because there are alot of fakes and knockoffs out there that simply do not work. In order to get a real fastboot cable to work power off the device hook one end to the pc 2.0 usb port only then plug to the device it will go straight to fastboot. If that fails shift plus right click on the tools folder in KFU and select open command window here. In terminal type
Code:
fastboot getvar product
then insert the cable to a powered off device. If again it fails then in the terminal type
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
and insert cable to powered off device. All these attempts and still nothing question the validity of your cable and get one that works from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392693 post#9.

Aareon

Jul 5, 2014
Fastboot

Bp1, panic is because of how KFU is trying to set the boot,ode which is no longer possible on 6.3.3 if you are using your so called fastboot cable correctly it will work. I say so called because there are alot of fakes and knockoffs out there that simply do not work. In order to get a real fastboot cable to work power off the device hook one end to the pc 2.0 usb port only then plug to the device it will go straight to fastboot. If that fails shift plus right click on the tools folder in KFU and select open command window here. In terminal type
Code:
fastboot getvar product
then insert the cable to a powered off device. If again it fails then in the terminal type
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
and insert cable to powered off device. All these attempts and still nothing question the validity of your cable and get one that works from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392693 post#9.

I got my fastboot cable from buying N2Aos off of Amazon. I know that it is legit because others have done the same and have had no problems.

I appreciate your help and will try these things. Thanks :)

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I got my fastboot cable from buying N2Aos off of Amazon. I know that it is legit because others have done the same and have had no problems.

I appreciate your help and will try these things. Thanks :)
If you say so doesn`t mean that it`s legit for your device so run through the steps I pointed out and test it.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

If your using KFU 0.9.6 that`s outdated as well http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192818 0.9.9 is actually more up to date.

Aareon

Jul 5, 2014
Fastboot

If you say so doesn`t mean that it`s legit for your device so run through the steps I pointed out and test it.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

If your using KFU 0.9.6 that`s outdated as well http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192818 0.9.9 is actually more up to date.

Is there a way to test, besides using the kindle, whether a fastboot cable works or not?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Is this what you bought? N2Aos(TM) - Convert your Kindle Fire into a Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Android Tablet (Includes USB Cable)
If so, that is not a Fastboot cable

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

just a standard usb data cable.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

if it is a Fastboot cable, when you power off, connect fastboot cable to Kindle then PC, Kindle will start to boot, and stop at Kindle Fire Boot Logo (except it actually fastboot mode). and stay there.
Drivers on the pc will not matter at this point, because it the power to 5th pin that causes it to boot to fastboot mode.

Reactions: Thepooch

Aareon

Jul 5, 2014
Is this what you bought? N2Aos(TM) - Convert your Kindle Fire into a Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Android Tablet (Includes USB Cable)

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

if it is a Fastboot cable, when you power off, connect fastboot cable to Kindle then PC, Kindle will start to boot, and stop at Kindle Fire Boot Logo (except it actually fastboot mode). and stay there.
Drivers on the pc will not matter at this point, because it the power to 5th pin that causes it to boot to fastboot mode.

How do you know it is a standard usb cable. On the package it said fastboot cable included.

Is this correct? Without USB plugged, during boot, my Kindle loads the 'kindle fire' splash. It then sticks there for about 2-3 seconds, then it dims. 2-3 seconds later, the screen flashes, and again 2-3 seconds later it flashes again. 2-3 seconds later the 'shine marquee' proceeds. About 60 seconds later the unlock screen shows up. For some reason, even after plugging in my 'fastboot cable' it does the same. But I noticed that the first time the screen flashes, some small white text pops-up quickly and then disappears on the right side of the screen.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Is this correct? Without USB plugged, during boot, my Kindle loads the 'kindle fire' splash. It then sticks there for about 2-3 seconds, then it dims. 2-3 seconds later, the screen flashes, and again 2-3 seconds later it flashes again. 2-3 seconds later the 'shine marquee' proceeds. About 60 seconds later the unlock screen shows up. For some reason, even after plugging in my 'fastboot cable' it does the same. But I noticed that the first time the screen flashes, some small white text pops-up quickly and then disappears on the right side of the screen.
No, that is not correct. If it is a fastboot cable, kindle will not boot to stock rom.

Reactions: Aareon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I'm Aareon. I've read in multiple places that 6.3.3 can be downgraded to 6.3.2,
    but I've read elsewhere that 6.3.3 doesn't work with KFU (Kindle Fire Utility). From experience, I've noticed that KFU 0.9.6 doesn't work with the Boot Status of 6.3.3. It is imperative that Boot Status displays correctly in-order for the rest of the software to function appropriately.

@sd_shadow

No, that is not correct. If it is a fastboot cable, kindle will not boot to stock rom.