[Q] Generic vs Branded rom

Search This thread

Wizber

Mar 25, 2014
Hi guys this is my first post here so be gentle! I'm trying to get cyanogen mod on my Z1.

I have followed the guides on this forum, my appreciation to all involved here great job!

I downgraded to 4.2.2 from 4.3. I then rooted my the phone. I then unlocked the bootloader.

All went ok. I then downloaded C6903_14.2.A.0.290_1276-0875_Generic UK.ftf and flashed it. The phone then wouldn't turn back on.

So I downloaded C6903 14.1.G.1.534 EE UK 1276-2219_R9A (I'm on EE) and flashed that and I got the phone working again.

I then flashed DoomKernal to get CWM. DoomKernal went fine.

Somewhere along the line I think I got confused and thought DoomKernal would give me CWM and I flashed C6903_14.2.A.0.290_1276-0875_Generic UK.ftf again to upgrade back to 4.3.

Same problem...Phone wouldn't turn on so I repeated the EE branded 4.2.2 flash.

Now DoomKernal seems to be taken off. So my questions are as followed:

Do i need DoomKernal to get CWM?
Do i need to be on 4.4 before I install Cyanogen mod or can I do it straight from 4.2.2 with DoomKernal?

If I'm being a total noob I apologize!

Thanks.

Reactions: KWOKSFUNG

KWOKSFUNG

May 15, 2013
Hong Kong
Hi guys this is my first post here so be gentle! I'm trying to get cyanogen mod on my Z1.

I have followed the guides on this forum, my appreciation to all involved here great job!

I downgraded to 4.2.2 from 4.3. I then rooted my the phone. I then unlocked the bootloader.

All went ok. I then downloaded C6903_14.2.A.0.290_1276-0875_Generic UK.ftf and flashed it. The phone then wouldn't turn back on.

So I downloaded C6903 14.1.G.1.534 EE UK 1276-2219_R9A (I'm on EE) and flashed that and I got the phone working again.

Somewhere along the line I think I got confused and thought DoomKernal would give me CWM and I flashed C6903_14.2.A.0.290_1276-0875_Generic UK.ftf again to upgrade back to 4.3.

Do i need to be on 4.4 before I install Cyanogen mod or can I do it straight from 4.2.2 with DoomKernal?

Thanks.
Accidently gave you a thank lol
I actually don't know about branded phone, but I can tell you that your step has gone wrong. You will always lose root
if you flash a sock ftf file.
So you are saying you unlocked bootloader on the 534 rom? Your camera is probably dead now, check it if you can boot.
Unlocking bootloader before getting on 4.3 or 4.4 will result in disabling the camera. You did it now anyway, I can't help you. Maybe flash 4.4 now and see if your camera works again.
Flashing cyanogen is not about root but unlock bootloader, people would recommend you to root first becoz you will be able to do TA back up with root
(TA backup is a way to backup drm key, so you can restore it in the future and restore locked bootloader exclusive feature like X reality and better quality camera. Seems you don't know what I'm talking about and already unlocked the bootloader before you even ever heard about TA. Sorry can't help you to save this part, you may continue anyway)
So on 4.4, you may have to unlock the bootloader again since the bootloader itself maybe relocked itself when you flash a sock ftf file. ( doesn't mean you restored DRM key is back)
So maybe unlock it again and start to flash cm.

Personally I wouldnt recommend a newbie in Android to unlock bl so fast since it's too easy to mess up serious things up and it's not so easy for turning back. Well you started messing them up anyway, continue then:)

Reactions: Wizber

Wizber

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

I did do a TA back up before I unlocked the bootloader....If i restore from this will it get the camera working?

I have tried to flash Cyanogen mod but it fails error 7. It thinks my Z1 is a Togari (Z ultra) which it isnt cant find anything on this!

Ok so, i'll try and get on 4.4...

I have a UK Z1 C6903.

Can I flash to C6903 14.3.A.0.681 Global 1277-2880_R5C (this is 4.4 right?)

OR does it have to be a UK one I cant seem to find a uk 4.4?

Wizber

Mar 25, 2014
So after a bit of stress and the phone getting stuck in bootloop I have installed 4.4.2 using .681 commercial.

I hope it will be smooth sailing now to install cyanogen mod :)

Oh and the camera works again!

KWOKSFUNG

May 15, 2013
Hong Kong
Thanks for the reply.

I did do a TA back up before I unlocked the bootloader....If i restore from this will it get the camera working?

I have tried to flash Cyanogen mod but it fails error 7. It thinks my Z1 is a Togari (Z ultra) which it isnt cant find anything on this!

Ok so, i'll try and get on 4.4...

I have a UK Z1 C6903.

Can I flash to C6903 14.3.A.0.681 Global 1277-2880_R5C (this is 4.4 right?)

OR does it have to be a UK one I cant seem to find a uk 4.4?
happy to hear that u actually did TA backup
any 4.4 should be fine
after that install doomlord advanced stock kernel v2 i think

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.

Thanks.
    Accidently gave you a thank lol
    I actually don't know about branded phone, but I can tell you that your step has gone wrong. You will always lose root
    if you flash a sock ftf file.
    So you are saying you unlocked bootloader on the 534 rom? Your camera is probably dead now, check it if you can boot.
    Unlocking bootloader before getting on 4.3 or 4.4 will result in disabling the camera. You did it now anyway, I can't help you. Maybe flash 4.4 now and see if your camera works again.
    Flashing cyanogen is not about root but unlock bootloader, people would recommend you to root first becoz you will be able to do TA back up with root
    (TA backup is a way to backup drm key, so you can restore it in the future and restore locked bootloader exclusive feature like X reality and better quality camera. Seems you don't know what I'm talking about and already unlocked the bootloader before you even ever heard about TA. Sorry can't help you to save this part, you may continue anyway)
    So on 4.4, you may have to unlock the bootloader again since the bootloader itself maybe relocked itself when you flash a sock ftf file. ( doesn't mean you restored DRM key is back)
    So maybe unlock it again and start to flash cm.

Personally I wouldnt recommend a newbie in Android to unlock bl so fast since it's too easy to mess up serious things up and it's not so easy for turning back. Well you started messing them up anyway, continue then:)