Guide - Installing Firmware, CWM recovery & Rooting

Search This thread

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
This is the most common question asked on this forum how to install firmware using ODIN, I know there are many post in which this has been shown but I have decided to include this as a sticky thread so its up there for everyone to make use of.

Initially this will only show installing firmware using Odin, other things will be added

Post 1 - Introduction
Post 2 - Installing Firmware using ODIN
Post 4 - Rooting & Installing CWM

The process of Installing the Firmware is the same for all variants of Note i.e 8000, 8005, 8010, 8013, 8020 BUT MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT ROM FOR THE VERSION OF NOTE YOU HAVE

You can also flash Rom by copying the Rom on your device and using Mobile Odin Pro App
The same is a paid app and is available of play store
You need to be Rooted to use this app

Link to Mobile Odin - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5tb2JpbGVvZGluLnBybyJd

Last edited:

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
Odin

WARNING - When you downgrade from JB to ICS most probably you will get stuck at the Samsung Logo and your device will not boot, You will need to go into recovery and do a complete wipe & reset to boot
So always backup your data before flashing a Rom

You will need the following things before you install the firmware

Firmware - you can download either from Samfirmware or http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016792

Once you download the files you will need to extract, the extracted file should have the following extention .tar.md5 remember the path where you extract the file

Odin - you can download again from the above link

Note drivers - Should be installed with Kies (Make sure you exit kies before proceeding further)

notevolpow.jpg

Please enter Download mode on your tablet by pressing Power+Volume down button until you get the download mode screen as show below

howto_root_galaxynote101_3_690x361.jpg

Once you enter download mode this what you should see on the tablet please press volume up and ignore the warning

Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable
Make Sure your device is sufficiently charged
Make sure all drivers are install correctly
Exit Kies

Extract all the file in the Odin archive if they are zipped

Run_Odin.jpg

Run Odin by clicking on the exe file as show above

odin.jpg

If all drivers are correctly install it should be detected by Odin in ID Com

Click on PDA it will open file select menu and select the .tar.md5 file by going to the location from where you extracted it.

Once the file is loaded, press the start button.

Odin will start the process of flashing the firmware and will take around ten minutes to complete it once it is successful it will show a pass message and reboot the device.

You are done installing the new rom Congratulations !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
Rooting & Installing CWM Recovery

Rooting

Method 1

The easiest way of rooting is by downloading and installing the exynos from here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

Install the APK on your device

Run the APK

2013_01_04_00_37_03.jpg

Click on Root Device

Your device is Rooted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method Two

CWM for Note - Attached DO NOT EXTRACT(Have not tried this particular one on any other version except N8000)

Odin - Download for here http://androidfirms.in/tools.html

SuperSU - Attached
Copy SuperSU to SD Card (Internal or External)

Note drivers - Should be installed with Kies (Make sure you exit kies before proceeding further)

notevolpow.jpg

Please enter Download mode on your tablet by pressing Power+Volume down button until you get the download mode screen as show below

Once you enter download mode this what you should see on the tablet please press volume up and ignore the warning

Exit Kies

Run_Odin.jpg

odin.jpg

Click on PDA it will open file select menu and select the .tar file (CWM file attached should have extention .tar) by going to the location from where you saved it.

cwm.jpg

Make Sure you un-check Auto Reboot button in Odin

Once the process in completed it show PASS but device will not restart.

Do not restart the device in normal mode but in recovery Mode

Press Power+Volume UP button till you see the GT-N8000 logo then leave power button but do not release the volume up button until it boots into recovery mode thats CWM

Scroll down to Install zip from SDcard

Select SD card if supersu is stored on the internal SD card or external SD if supersu is stored on external card

Once you select it will give a warning message, select yes to proceed installing super su

Once you are done you can go back to main menu and reboot (It may give you message which will disable device from installing stock recovery after you reboot select yes)

Reboot device.

Run SuperSu from applications

Congratulations you have done installing CWM recovery and rooting your device!!!!!!

Warning - Installing CWM will increase your binary count (Next tutorial will teach you how to reset it)

Method 3

Download CF Autroot from the following links

N8000 - http://download.chainfire.eu/236/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-p4noterf-p4noterfxx-gtn8000.zip
N8010 - http://download.chainfire.eu/247/CF...to-Root-p4notewifiww-p4notewifixx-gtn8010.zip

Extract the files
Run ODIN
Put your device in download mode
Load the .tar.md5 in PDF
and follow the rest of the process you would follow for installing a rom

Attachments

• CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip
    658.9 KB · Views: 2,769
  • recovery-cwm-touch-6.0.1.9-n8000.tar
    5.8 MB · Views: 4,122
Last edited:

Lewiswatson99

Dec 16, 2012
Hampshire
What do umean by if I have the rom ?
I dont understand because I havent rooted yet and this is the stock rom which came with it

Sent from my GT-N8010 using xda premium

txtmikhail

Oct 5, 2010
Virginia,USA
Custom Rom Flashing Guide... (Not Stock)

1. Download the odin, Samsung drivers, root files and cmw files from above

2. Install the odin and samsungs drivers.

3. Plug your tablet into the computer and place the root zip on to your memory card..

4. Also found the Rom u want to install that works with your device and save it to your memory card

5. Once finished unplug your tablet from the computer and open odin on the computer

6. Power down your tablet.. Now Power it back on by Holding Power+Volume down button until you get the download mode screen

7. Plug your tablet back up to the computer (odin should see your tablet)

8. Using odin uncheck auto reboot and place the cwm tar in to the PDA box

9. Hit start button and let the process run

10. Once it finished Restart your tablet by Holding Power+Volume up button until you get the Recovery mode screen

11. Now install zip from sd card..

12a. Install su zip if u only want to Root your device

12b. Install Rom than su zip if u want a New Rom

13. Reboot device

Last edited:
Reactions: badgmc31

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
what i ment was if you have firmware downloaded for 8010 the you can flash it on your device as to flash a rom you need a rom first which will work with you device

Hope this clears what i ment

That steps shown above are for custom roms and will not work with stock roms so please be aware of the same

Reactions: Mocabee

Lewiswatson99

Dec 16, 2012
Hampshire
Ok here is my question:
How to root sgn n8010 which is on stock jelly bean (UK) ?
Which method can I use ?
Thanks in advance
Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Last edited:

txtmikhail

Oct 5, 2010
Virginia,USA
Ok here is my question:
How to root sgn n8010 which is on stock jelly bean (UK) ?
Which method can I use ?
Thanks in advance
Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

If you just want to root use the ExynosAbuse guide.. Just install the app and follow the instructions

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35512626&postcount=1

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Please do not missguide them please tell me how can you flash a stock firmware using CWM recovery.

IF YOU ARE FLASH STOCK FIRMWARE WHICH IS UNTOUCHED IT CAN ONLY BE FLASHED USING ODIN OR MOBILE ODIN CANNOT AND I REPEAT CANNOT BE FLASHED USING CWM

Im sorry if that's what it seems like I doing but I not.. Im just trying to tell them how to install CWM get Root and flash Roms.. Earlier this person ask me about fixing lag and i told him about flash a Custom Rom could Fix that.. I was assuming he was having trouble with that process. If its a problem i was delete my simple guide...

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
No issues was just clarifying bec there are many who are not expert and will try to do that.

If you flash using ODIN you do not need to root

I agree the best method to root is using the exynos exploit patch

flippingout

Aug 27, 2010
Atlanta
plus.google.com
First, thank you for this thread. Made the whole process easy.

One thing I've noticed is I cannot mount my external SD in CWM which is a pain with a 16 Gb device. Any ideas why this would be?

Thank you.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
Why do you want to mount the ext SD card if you want to do it to take a back up there is an option in the backup and restore which will allow the back to be done on the ext SD card

flippingout

Aug 27, 2010
Atlanta
plus.google.com
Why do you want to mount the ext SD card if you want to do it to take a back up there is an option in the backup and restore which will allow the back to be done on the ext SD card

The problem is I can't get to the SD card in CWM. Right now my only option is to back up to my internal. When I select the option you mention it says it failed to mount.

As well when I flash a ROM it has to be saved in internal for CWM to see it. Since I have such limited memory (16 GB) using the external SD for CWM would be a huge help.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

txtmikhail

Oct 5, 2010
Virginia,USA
The problem is I can't get to the SD card in CWM. Right now my only option is to back up to my internal. When I select the option you mention it says it failed to mount.

As well when I flash a ROM it has to be saved in internal for CWM to see it. Since I have such limited memory (16 GB) using the external SD for CWM would be a huge help.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

In recovery for Backups.. by clicking backup and restore the (top options are for the internal sd card) and using the (Bottom options are for the external sd card)..

In recovery for zip files on sd card... by clicking install zip from sdcard the (Top option choose zip from sdcard is for Internal) and the (bottom option choose zip from external sdcard is for the one you put into the tablet)

If this doesn't work something my be wrong with your external sdcard or try installing another version of cwm because mines work.. Im using CWM v6.0.2.3-touch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting & Installing CWM Recovery

Rooting

Method 1

The easiest way of rooting is by downloading and installing the exynos from here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

Install the APK on your device

Run the APK

2013_01_04_00_37_03.jpg

Click on Root Device

Your device is Rooted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method Two

CWM for Note - Attached DO NOT EXTRACT(Have not tried this particular one on any other version except N8000)

Odin - Download for here http://androidfirms.in/tools.html

SuperSU - Attached
    Copy SuperSU to SD Card (Internal or External)

notevolpow.jpg

Exit Kies

Run_Odin.jpg

odin.jpg

Click on PDA it will open file select menu and select the .tar file (CWM file attached should have extention .tar) by going to the location from where you saved it.

cwm.jpg

Make Sure you un-check Auto Reboot button in Odin

Once the process in completed it show PASS but device will not restart.

Do not restart the device in normal mode but in recovery Mode

Press Power+Volume UP button till you see the GT-N8000 logo then leave power button but do not release the volume up button until it boots into recovery mode thats CWM

Scroll down to Install zip from SDcard

Select SD card if supersu is stored on the internal SD card or external SD if supersu is stored on external card

Once you select it will give a warning message, select yes to proceed installing super su

Once you are done you can go back to main menu and reboot (It may give you message which will disable device from installing stock recovery after you reboot select yes)

Reboot device.

Run SuperSu from applications

Congratulations you have done installing CWM recovery and rooting your device!!!!!!

Warning - Installing CWM will increase your binary count (Next tutorial will teach you how to reset it)

Method 3

Download CF Autroot from the following links

N8000 - http://download.chainfire.eu/236/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-p4noterf-p4noterfxx-gtn8000.zip
    N8010 - http://download.chainfire.eu/247/CF...to-Root-p4notewifiww-p4notewifixx-gtn8010.zip

Extract the files
    Run ODIN
    Put your device in download mode
    Load the .tar.md5 in PDF
    and follow the rest of the process you would follow for installing a rom
    Odin

WARNING - When you downgrade from JB to ICS most probably you will get stuck at the Samsung Logo and your device will not boot, You will need to go into recovery and do a complete wipe & reset to boot
    So always backup your data before flashing a Rom

Firmware - you can download either from Samfirmware or http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016792

Once you download the files you will need to extract, the extracted file should have the following extention .tar.md5 remember the path where you extract the file

Odin - you can download again from the above link

notevolpow.jpg

Exit Kies

Run_Odin.jpg

odin.jpg

Click on PDA it will open file select menu and select the .tar.md5 file by going to the location from where you extracted it.

Odin will start the process of flashing the firmware and will take around ten minutes to complete it once it is successful it will show a pass message and reboot the device.

You are done installing the new rom Congratulations !!!!!!!!
    This is the most common question asked on this forum how to install firmware using ODIN, I know there are many post in which this has been shown but I have decided to include this as a sticky thread so its up there for everyone to make use of.

Initially this will only show installing firmware using Odin, other things will be added

Post 1 - Introduction
    Post 2 - Installing Firmware using ODIN
    Post 4 - Rooting & Installing CWM

The process of Installing the Firmware is the same for all variants of Note i.e 8000, 8005, 8010, 8013, 8020 BUT MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT ROM FOR THE VERSION OF NOTE YOU HAVE

You can also flash Rom by copying the Rom on your device and using Mobile Odin Pro App
    The same is a paid app and is available of play store
    You need to be Rooted to use this app

Link to Mobile Odin - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5tb2JpbGVvZGluLnBybyJd
    Everything except Method 1
    Please do not missguide them please tell me how can you flash a stock firmware using CWM recovery.

IF YOU ARE FLASH STOCK FIRMWARE WHICH IS UNTOUCHED IT CAN ONLY BE FLASHED USING ODIN OR MOBILE ODIN CANNOT AND I REPEAT CANNOT BE FLASHED USING CWM