Guide - Installing Firmware, CWM recovery & Rooting

Search This thread

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
Yes if the above said options are not there then you need to reinstall CWM as something is wrong also before doing that check you memory card is functional

By default CWM will store on internal memory unless you select external memory card

aaroncslusher

Oct 4, 2012
rooting 8013 on stock US JB 4.1.2

I would like to root my 8013 model running the OTA update of JB4.1,2. How do I do this? I tried the easy one you listed, but it failed. So I was going to try the cwm version via rom manager, but there isn't a CWM version for the 8013. Will the one for the 8010 or the 8000 work?
At this point I'm not certain I want to load a custom rom, I just want root! Help.

cq1723

Jan 11, 2013

Attachments

• odin.jpg
    odin.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

txtmikhail

Oct 5, 2010
Virginia,USA
I would like to root my 8013 model running the OTA update of JB4.1,2. How do I do this? I tried the easy one you listed, but it failed. So I was going to try the cwm version via rom manager, but there isn't a CWM version for the 8013. Will the one for the 8010 or the 8000 work?
At this point I'm not certain I want to load a custom rom, I just want root! Help.

This one seems to work...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33298782

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I'm hung up at this coming from a rooted stock 4.0.4 trying to update to 4.1.2 using the US n8013 firmware from your post here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016792

edit: it just failed. what do I do now?

Usually if it fails it means the file was corrupted.. try redownloading the file..

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium HD app

flippingout

Aug 27, 2010
Atlanta
plus.google.com
Yes if the above said options are not there then you need to reinstall CWM as something is wrong also before doing that check you memory card is functional

By default CWM will store on internal memory unless you select external memory card

The option is there just won't work. I will try flashing CWM again in Odin and see if it works after that.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Stoney60

Nov 30, 2007

Well. I've just decided to make the leap to CM10.1. (I really REALLY need multiuser) I've flashed Chainfire's auto root, installed Mobile ODIN pro, and SuperSU pro, Triangle Away, I'm in the process of downloading the stock 4.1.2 just in case. I have Titanium Backup Pro so I'm going to do a BU with that. Will the CM10.1 install using Mobile ODIN? I think I'm on the right track (I hope, I hope) Please tell me if I'm missing anything. Thanks for all your great work!

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
I am not familiar with mobile Odin is never used it but if it supports installation from a zip file then it should BTW Odin will not install CM and hence I do not think it will install using mobile Odin.

Also for CM rom you need to do a wipe before you can upgrade from your existing stock rom so all you apps will go.

I had installed it using cwm installed like a charm the multiuser feature is cool

Why dont you install CWM do a Nandroid back up clean wipe and then install CM

Also do not know what triangleaway will do it will not reset the count until you have the stock recovery and once you install CM the count will increase so you can either install it after you install CM or before you install the stock rom

Reactions: Stoney60

Stoney60

Nov 30, 2007
I am not familiar with mobile Odin is never used it but if it supports installation from a zip file then it should BTW Odin will not install CM and hence I do not think it will install using mobile Odin.

Also for CM rom you need to do a wipe before you can upgrade from your existing stock rom so all you apps will go.

I had installed it using cwm installed like a charm the multiuser feature is cool

Why dont you install CWM do a Nandroid back up clean wipe and then install CM

Also do not know what triangleaway will do it will not reset the count until you have the stock recovery and once you install CM the count will increase so you can either install it after you install CM or before you install the stock rom

You ARE quick!!! Guess I'll get with Chainfire to ask some of those questions. Thanks again for your help!

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I seem to be having some difficulties flashing any FW to my N8000, running ZCBLL5. I have tried 3 different FW and they all fail, seemingly right at the last step(Radio). I have tried XXCMA1, XXCLL3, and XXBLK2. My main goal is to enable Google apps on the device, as the chinese FW doesn't seem to come with it. Anybody have any idea why this keeps happening? Does odin output any error log? Would i be better off to try heimdall in linux, or does the chinese FW block the install of other? Any help is appreciated

Aflatoxin

Jan 20, 2013
noob on jb update

Ok im kinda new with manual updates. 'm currently downloading the jb german update... weird thing is, it's huge! 1.1gig. But everybody says the update is only 400mb... I hope I'm downloading the correct file... if something goes wrong (heaven forbid), what do I do?

NadMaj

Oct 23, 2011
Caloocan
www.3minit.com
Ok im kinda new with manual updates. 'm currently downloading the jb german update... weird thing is, it's huge! 1.1gig. But everybody says the update is only 400mb... I hope I'm downloading the correct file... if something goes wrong (heaven forbid), what do I do?

dude your downloading the whole german firmware so it's really huge.. and don't think about the update so you don't get confused..

let's take it a step at a time..

1st download the necessary files which are odin and the firmware that you like.. then get back to us so we can help you.. :)

Aflatoxin

Jan 20, 2013
firmware

dude your downloading the whole german firmware so it's really huge.. d don't think about the update so you don't get confused..

let's take it a step at a time..

1st download the necessary files which are odin and the firmware that you like.. then get back to us so we can help you.. :)

Errr... sorry bout this... but all links seem to direct at the German 1.1gig firmware... or I'm downloading the wrong link/file... :eek:

divyesh_070

Dec 11, 2012
Pls tell me how to root Xperia u st25i having android 4.0.4. And can android 4.2 be replaced to 4.0.4 , if yes than tell me the steps. Thanks in advance

Sent from my ST25i using xda premium

NadMaj

Oct 23, 2011
Caloocan
www.3minit.com
Errr... sorry bout this... but all links seem to direct at the German 1.1gig firmware... or I'm downloading the wrong link/file... :eek:

your downloading the right one.. note 10.1 firmwares are always about 900mb - 1.1gig.. so your on the right track..

that's why i told you not to think about the updates so you can avoid more confusion..

we're both filipinos here so i'll help you out.. :laugh:

Aflatoxin

Jan 20, 2013
your downloading the right one.. note 10.1 firmwares are always about 900mb - 1.1gig.. so your on the right track..

that's why i told you not to think about the updates so you can avoid more confusion..

we're both filipinos here so i'll help you out.. :laugh:

Thanks nad! still dooownlooadddiiingg............

Tirozz

Jul 9, 2011
Haha ye probably my first time will be as well! Just wondering one final thing; is it possible to receive OTA's once you've flashed the German ROM with Odin? Currently have the Stock ROM running, bought in The Netherlands (Vodafone),

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting & Installing CWM Recovery

Rooting

Method 1

The easiest way of rooting is by downloading and installing the exynos from here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

Install the APK on your device

Run the APK

2013_01_04_00_37_03.jpg

Click on Root Device

Your device is Rooted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method Two

You will need the following things before you install the firmware

CWM for Note - Attached DO NOT EXTRACT(Have not tried this particular one on any other version except N8000)

Odin - Download for here http://androidfirms.in/tools.html

SuperSU - Attached
    Copy SuperSU to SD Card (Internal or External)

Note drivers - Should be installed with Kies (Make sure you exit kies before proceeding further)

notevolpow.jpg

Please enter Download mode on your tablet by pressing Power+Volume down button until you get the download mode screen as show below

howto_root_galaxynote101_3_690x361.jpg

Once you enter download mode this what you should see on the tablet please press volume up and ignore the warning

Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable
    Make Sure your device is sufficiently charged
    Make sure all drivers are install correctly
    Exit Kies

Extract all the file in the Odin archive if they are zipped

Run_Odin.jpg

Run Odin by clicking on the exe file as show above

odin.jpg

If all drivers are correctly install it should be detected by Odin in ID Com

Click on PDA it will open file select menu and select the .tar file (CWM file attached should have extention .tar) by going to the location from where you saved it.

cwm.jpg

Make Sure you un-check Auto Reboot button in Odin

Once the file is loaded, press the start button.

Once the process in completed it show PASS but device will not restart.

Do not restart the device in normal mode but in recovery Mode

Press Power+Volume UP button till you see the GT-N8000 logo then leave power button but do not release the volume up button until it boots into recovery mode thats CWM

Scroll down to Install zip from SDcard

Select SD card if supersu is stored on the internal SD card or external SD if supersu is stored on external card

Once you select it will give a warning message, select yes to proceed installing super su

Once you are done you can go back to main menu and reboot (It may give you message which will disable device from installing stock recovery after you reboot select yes)

Reboot device.

Run SuperSu from applications

Congratulations you have done installing CWM recovery and rooting your device!!!!!!

Warning - Installing CWM will increase your binary count (Next tutorial will teach you how to reset it)

Method 3

Download CF Autroot from the following links

N8000 - http://download.chainfire.eu/236/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-p4noterf-p4noterfxx-gtn8000.zip
    N8010 - http://download.chainfire.eu/247/CF...to-Root-p4notewifiww-p4notewifixx-gtn8010.zip

Extract the files
    Run ODIN
    Put your device in download mode
    Load the .tar.md5 in PDF
    and follow the rest of the process you would follow for installing a rom
    Odin

WARNING - When you downgrade from JB to ICS most probably you will get stuck at the Samsung Logo and your device will not boot, You will need to go into recovery and do a complete wipe & reset to boot
    So always backup your data before flashing a Rom

You will need the following things before you install the firmware

Firmware - you can download either from Samfirmware or http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016792

Once you download the files you will need to extract, the extracted file should have the following extention .tar.md5 remember the path where you extract the file

Odin - you can download again from the above link

Note drivers - Should be installed with Kies (Make sure you exit kies before proceeding further)

notevolpow.jpg

Please enter Download mode on your tablet by pressing Power+Volume down button until you get the download mode screen as show below

howto_root_galaxynote101_3_690x361.jpg

Once you enter download mode this what you should see on the tablet please press volume up and ignore the warning

Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable
    Make Sure your device is sufficiently charged
    Make sure all drivers are install correctly
    Exit Kies

Extract all the file in the Odin archive if they are zipped

Run_Odin.jpg

Run Odin by clicking on the exe file as show above

odin.jpg

If all drivers are correctly install it should be detected by Odin in ID Com

Click on PDA it will open file select menu and select the .tar.md5 file by going to the location from where you extracted it.

Once the file is loaded, press the start button.

Odin will start the process of flashing the firmware and will take around ten minutes to complete it once it is successful it will show a pass message and reboot the device.

You are done installing the new rom Congratulations !!!!!!!!
    This is the most common question asked on this forum how to install firmware using ODIN, I know there are many post in which this has been shown but I have decided to include this as a sticky thread so its up there for everyone to make use of.

Initially this will only show installing firmware using Odin, other things will be added

Post 1 - Introduction
    Post 2 - Installing Firmware using ODIN
    Post 4 - Rooting & Installing CWM

The process of Installing the Firmware is the same for all variants of Note i.e 8000, 8005, 8010, 8013, 8020 BUT MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT ROM FOR THE VERSION OF NOTE YOU HAVE

You can also flash Rom by copying the Rom on your device and using Mobile Odin Pro App
    The same is a paid app and is available of play store
    You need to be Rooted to use this app

Link to Mobile Odin - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5tb2JpbGVvZGluLnBybyJd
    Everything except Method 1
    Please do not missguide them please tell me how can you flash a stock firmware using CWM recovery.

IF YOU ARE FLASH STOCK FIRMWARE WHICH IS UNTOUCHED IT CAN ONLY BE FLASHED USING ODIN OR MOBILE ODIN CANNOT AND I REPEAT CANNOT BE FLASHED USING CWM