Will the ROM and Kernel sources be released?

Search This thread

nitrobg

Sep 3, 2011
Assuming that the phone would be loaded with the partially closed-source Cyanogen, are there any official news whether the kernel or the ROM itself would be released as sources so we can get proper open-sourced ROMs going?

xenix96

Dec 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Assuming that the phone would be loaded with the partially closed-source Cyanogen, are there any official news whether the kernel or the ROM itself would be released as sources so we can get proper open-sourced ROMs going?

Android is open source...
So you ever saw cm without source?

Even samsung htc and such have to release the sources cause of GPL.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: LeJolly

nitrobg

Sep 3, 2011
This is just a wishful thinking. Do you have any official information about that or you are just guessing?
OnePlus One uses a derivative of CM, not an official build.

xenix96

Dec 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
This is just a wishful thinking. Do you have any official information about that or you are just guessing?
OnePlus One uses a derivative of CM, not an official build.

I dont guess. If you know androids nature with Open GPL then you should know that. Try open general puplic licence = open gpl in google search engine then you will receive the detail what this exatly means.

The rom supplier has to release the source or atleast the git hub of its code. Otherewhise he violating the open geneal public licenses of android.

I think this helps you a bit more in understanding the android nature.

Cheers :)

KostasR

Dec 16, 2012
I dont guess. If you know androids nature with Open GPL then you should know that. Try open general puplic licence = open gpl in google search engine then you will receive the detail what this exatly means.

The rom supplier has to release the source or atleast the git hub of its code. Otherewhise he violating the open geneal public licenses of android.

I know its totally irrelevant but in your signature you write "Powerd by Google Jelly Bean 4.4.2 --->DOWNLOAD "

You probably mean kitkat :victory:

nitrobg

Sep 3, 2011

I know everything about Android's open source nature and its GPL licensing. I think that you are missing my point here.

Many small companies consider the GPL as voluntary rather than mandatory because there is no legal prosecutions for breaking the GPL license. The company might get frowned upon and some power users / developers would be upset, but generally the end user doesn't care, nor the company does because they won't have to go to the court for breaking the GPL.

This is what most Chinese companies do for their current phones. Samsung, Motorola, HTC also didn't provide full sources until the past 1-2 years. Only Sony and Google's Nexus line were the companies who provided full sources on time.

This being said, only the time will tell if OnePlus would comply the GPL license of its device or will follow the path to ignore the licenses.

Reactions: xenix96

xenix96

Dec 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I know its totally irrelevant but in your signature you write "Powerd by Google Jelly Bean 4.4.2 --->DOWNLOAD "

You probably mean kitkat :victory:

lol true i forgot to change that ^^ thanks man will do asap when fire up pc :)

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

I know everything about Android's open source nature and its GPL licensing. I think that you are missing my point here.

Many small companies consider the GPL as voluntary rather than mandatory because there is no legal prosecutions for breaking the GPL license. The company might get frowned upon and some power users / developers would be upset, but generally the end user doesn't care, nor the company does because they won't have to go to the court for breaking the GPL.

This is what most Chinese companies do for their current phones. Samsung, Motorola, HTC also didn't provide full sources until the past 1-2 years. Only Sony and Google's Nexus line were the companies who provided full sources on time.

This being said, only the time will tell if OnePlus would comply the GPL license of its device or will follow the path to ignore the licenses.

Okay i know now what you mean but the kernel they have all to release.
So if you got kernel you can compile from google source the vanilia rom for any device but only if got the knowelege to do that...i failed in this :)

Cheers

ccarr313

Dec 18, 2013
Elyria
www.facebook.com
The rom and kernel HAVE to be open source. Apps don't. End of story. If they do not release the source, google can sue the holy living hell out of them and make them wish they never stepped up.

Reactions: xenix96

nitrobg

Sep 3, 2011
The rom and kernel HAVE to be open source. Apps don't. End of story. If they do not release the source, google can sue the holy living hell out of them and make them wish they never stepped up.

How many lawsuits for breaking the Android's GPL have you seen?

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Wrong. Only the kernel and small parts of the firmware package have to be open source.

The majority of Android isn't GPL - it's Apache.

korg91

Jan 3, 2012
Entropy512 is right.

Guys, seriously, everything is explained even on Wikipedia:

The source code for Android is open source. Google publishes most of the code (including network and telephony stacks) under the non-copyleft Apache License version 2.0. which allows modification and redistribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Licensing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Therefore, the original question by nitrobg is interesting indeed.

Reactions: LiquidSolstice

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt

Cheers

Android is open source.
Touchwiz and sense are closed source for the same reasons why parts of the OnePlus firmware are closed source.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wrong. Only the kernel and small parts of the firmware package have to be open source.

The majority of Android isn't GPL - it's Apache.

Cheers

Android is open source.
    Touchwiz and sense are closed source for the same reasons why parts of the OnePlus firmware are closed source.

Cheers

IMHO Its probable that rom will be open source but camera app , gallery, messaging app and some others could be closed source just as google does.