Disabling Swipe to Call/Swipe to Message in Stock Messages App on Galaxy S5

Search This thread

megamanfre

Jul 29, 2012
Im trying to disable the swipe left to right to call, and swipe right to left to message feature thats in the stock Messages app on the Verizon Galaxy s5. I find myself accidentally calling people Im texting, and trying to explain why I called. I like swipe functions, but this particular one can be quite annoying, especially since the option to turn it off isnt exactly the most obvious to me.

Ive tried going into settings in the stock messages app, and theres nothing there about swipe commands. I even went into the settings and tried the motions and gestures option, nothing. Language and input, nothing. I even tried to edit the settings in the phone app, and you can only disable swipe to call when youre in the phone app, but nowhere else, which seems a little counter intuitive to be able to turn it off in the phone app, and not in the messages app.

Is there something Im missing? It really isnt making much sense to me that it cant be turned off. The Messages app Im talking about is the one that looks like a white envelope, with a yellow sheet of lined paper coming out of the top, not the Message+ that comes with the Verizon bloatware.

If anyone can help Id really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

OdieHD

May 22, 2014
Cannot just disable the message portion you have to disable the complete swipe action. To do this, open dialer then select menu ->settings -> Contacts -> uncheck "Swipe to call or send message."

endoracing

Nov 16, 2007
I know this is older but I am trying to disable the same feature. Un-checking that box only effects contacts, not the action from within messenger. Is there a way to disable it in messenger also or is the only option to not use the Samsung one?

I do hate when crappy "features" are not optional.

megamanfre

Jul 29, 2012
I ended up ditching the stock app and going with a paid version of chompsms. Works great and doesn't have this feature. To delete or call a contact from the conversation screen its actually a long hold action, which is a bit safer from accidental deletions.

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
I know this is older but I am trying to disable the same feature. Un-checking that box only effects contacts, not the action from within messenger. Is there a way to disable it in messenger also or is the only option to not use the Samsung one?

I do hate when crappy "features" are not optional.

Same problem on the Galaxy S6 :-/

totally agree with you re unwanted "features", did you by chance find a work-around?