Proximity Sensor Fix after Screen Replacement

Search This thread

Sp_Ark

Feb 19, 2011
Athens
Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement. :good:

Last edited:

12V

Mar 3, 2014
Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement. :good:

This worked for me too, thank you very much for the tip! I would never come up with this solution by myself, really tried everything without success before finding your post! :good:

Reactions: dumber89 and Sp_Ark

pticouic

Jul 11, 2013

only one thing : 1.000.000 Thanks. It worked for me too .... I spent so many hours to fix that shi#&*.. with no success and your tip is WORKING in less than 5 secondes ... !!!
you made my day.... good job ...

Reactions: Sp_Ark

keithsipa

Feb 8, 2010
East
I just wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP of this thread.
I just did a mass purchase of screens from HK to fix 4 phones.
3 Nexus 4's and 1 Optimus G lcd / digitizer / frames replaced and the proximity sensor would not work on any of them. After much assembly and disassemble I found this thread.
The quick fix of turning the rubber gasket to the wrong holes on the sensor fixed them all! I dont know why it works, but it does work!
They all now work perfectly.
I used: Proximity Sensor Finder for troubleshooting while trying to find a fix and verify the fix.

Last edited:

keithsipa

Feb 8, 2010
East
i have this problem too can please someone post some photos?

This is the video I followed, it shows it pretty clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4#t=522

That would be correct, if you follow the steps on that video with regards to the proximity sensor, it would be installed correctly and the holes would line up perfectly between the gasket and sensors. However, that doesnt seem to work, you want to now install with the tab facing the other way, you will now see that the holes do not line up correctly and the gasket is partially covering the sensors, dont panic, that is what you want it to look like. Now put it back together, download a proximity app and make sure it works.

Reactions: Sp_Ark

MajinJoko

Sep 12, 2011
Hi guys,

sorry to OT in this thread, but seems related.
After changing the position of the rubber thing, the proximity sensor works fine, but the light sensor reports values between 0 and 80lux, and I think it's wrong since it goes up to 10000lux.
Is this a problem of -again- the rubber part, or maybe it's just my screen that comes with a faulty light sensor?

Thanks!

Sp_Ark

Feb 19, 2011
Athens
Hi guys,

sorry to OT in this thread, but seems related.
After changing the position of the rubber thing, the proximity sensor works fine, but the light sensor reports values between 0 and 80lux, and I think it's wrong since it goes up to 10000lux.
Is this a problem of -again- the rubber part, or maybe it's just my screen that comes with a faulty light sensor?

Thanks!

Probably it's the rubber part. Just try without it to see what values you get. If it works then you might have to try make the hole a bit wider. My light sensor worked ok after this fix, but wasn't as sensitive as it should, played a bit with lux and auto brightness settings (any custom rom have such settings - there are some apps as well or xposed framework + gravity box) solved everything.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
same issue

can someone please tell me where to buy this rubber part because it's missing on my n4, probably lost during screen replacement, i looked on line for supplier i couldn't find one, even on ebay. thanks.

MajinJoko

Sep 12, 2011
Probably it's the rubber part. Just try without it to see what values you get. If it works then you might have to try make the hole a bit wider. My light sensor worked ok after this fix, but wasn't as sensitive as it should, played a bit with lux and auto brightness settings (any custom rom have such settings - there are some apps as well or xposed framework + gravity box) solved everything.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the idea, man. As soon I will have some spare time I will try..

can someone please tell me where to buy this rubber part because it's missing on my n4, probably lost during screen replacement, i looked on line for supplier i couldn't find one, even on ebay. thanks.

The only suggestion pops up in my mind is to buy a "very broken" nexus 4 on ebay, but it could cost you so much money that I am not sure it worth it..

Sp_Ark

Feb 19, 2011
Athens
To find only the rubber part as a listed product is impossible. You should search for n4 proximity sensor as a spare part and ask the seller if he can send only this rubber thing. If you plan to buy a proximity sensor you should double check that this rubber is included, cause usually is not, but iv seen listings that already have it at their photos.

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
To find only the rubber part as a listed product is impossible. You should search for n4 proximity sensor as a spare part and ask the seller if he can send only this rubber thing. If you plan to buy a proximity sensor you should double check that this rubber is included, cause usually is not, but iv seen listings that already have it at their photos.

Yeah I found out it cannot be bought anywhere. Right now I'm using proximity screen off app until I can do something about it.

Sp_Ark

Feb 19, 2011
Athens
Have you ever used xposed before? You have to enable the module via xposed settings and then reboot. Then the app should start.

Reactions: mene82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This worked for me too, thank you very much for the tip! I would never come up with this solution by myself, really tried everything without success before finding your post! :good:
    I just wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP of this thread.
    I just did a mass purchase of screens from HK to fix 4 phones.
    3 Nexus 4's and 1 Optimus G lcd / digitizer / frames replaced and the proximity sensor would not work on any of them. After much assembly and disassemble I found this thread.
    The quick fix of turning the rubber gasket to the wrong holes on the sensor fixed them all! I dont know why it works, but it does work!
    They all now work perfectly.
    I used: Proximity Sensor Finder for troubleshooting while trying to find a fix and verify the fix.
    Worked for me too. Thanks OP!
    I know this is an old thread but I just changed the screen on an N4 and could not get the proximity sensor to work either. Once a call connects, the screen goes black and even pressing the power button doesn't bring up the screen. I was just about to order a new sensor when I came across this solution. Reversing the rubber boot worked! Thanks.