• AUO

Votes: 659 50.5%
  • Other

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

knobgoo

Jun 26, 2011
To me the AUO screen is slightly better than the Sharp in two areas. The AUO has a higher maximum brightness and is therefore better in direct sunlight. The AUO has a slightly better viewing angle.

In ever other way though the Sharp is better in my opinion. Colors are much more realistic, it is sharper/clearer, and most importantly there is none of the ridiculous flickering, tearing, or motion blur.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

Shaquiel Harris

Feb 9, 2009
Los Angeles
To me the AUO screen is slightly better than the Sharp in two areas. The AUO has a higher maximum brightness and is therefore better in direct sunlight. The AUO has a slightly better viewing angle.

In ever other way though the Sharp is better in my opinion. Colors are much more realistic, it is sharper/clearer, and most importantly there is none of the ridiculous flickering, tearing, or motion blur.

Exactly why I can't keep the auo. Just the colors don't look right to me. I'm used to my g2 colors even though the sensations are better and clearer. The auo just doesn't seem right in colors. Just going to send my phone to htc if I have problems. Probably going to send to them to replace the screen and if they are for it, to make sure its a sharp panel.

Yori-

Aug 13, 2009
Exactly why I can't keep the auo. Just the colors don't look right to me. I'm used to my g2 colors even though the sensations are better and clearer. The auo just doesn't seem right in colors. Just going to send my phone to htc if I have problems. Probably going to send to them to replace the screen and if they are for it, to make sure its a sharp panel.

you guys are on the money...

My first 2 were from Walmart. They were both Sharps/Made in Taiwan.
Ended up returning them due to the fact t-mobile had them for 550$ w/ Tax, therefore getting $50.00 back in return. The next 2 i had were AUO/Made in China.

Colors were more saturated and all. But could not stand the extreme flickering, motion blur and tearing. Its bad, its real bad. Try reading a couple articles while surfing the web, or watching some youtube videos. Its real bad to a point its almost unbearable. The sharps i had NEVER had these issues, and the accuracy to me seemed MUCH better. Then again i think its a mix of what panels you guys actually want.

Went to the store that had a new shipment of 50+ Sensations, all of them was Made in China, which pretty much means its AUO's. Earlier in the day he had a couple made in Taiwan's left, and i told them to hold it for me, but they did not.

Will be getting a call back when they receive some Made in Taiwan.

aNYthing24

May 25, 2011
NYC
I don't think it matters if they are made in Taiwan or China. My current unit was made in Taiwan and it has an AUO panel.

Yori-

Aug 13, 2009
I don't think it matters if they are made in Taiwan or China. My current unit was made in Taiwan and it has an AUO panel.

hmm, there might be a higher rate of Taiwan's being Sharps..

has it been confirmed here with anyone having Made in China units with Sharp displays?

really getting tired of this returning till i get a SOLID device where i can actually use it.

If my next one is not a decent one with NO FLICKERING what so ever, I'm done with the Sensation 4G. Probably just use a garbage phone for the time being and waiting on the Samsung Hercules. Too much wasted time cherry picking Sensations. Seems recently with much anticipated HTC Success, their Quality Assurance team has totally dropped the ball.

I've had squishy back covers, to power buttons leaning to 1 side (making it hard to press), to garbage quality flickering screens. My previous HTC HD2 WAS ROCK SOLID. Bought 1, and never had an issue with it. Used it for a little over a year and sold it, to buy the Sensation..

knobgoo

Jun 26, 2011
I think what annoys me the absolute most about the flickering and blurring of the AUO screen is that I makes the phone look and feel like its lagging when it's really not. I know this phone is no slower than my old one with the sharp screen, yet it often feels slow and laggy due to the flickering and blurring of the screen.

Decided I can't take the AUO screen any longer. I find it very distracting, thus ruining the overall experience of an otherwise great phone. I shouldn't be so aware of the screen, I should be able to just enjoy it without thinking about it. It's kind of like a bicycle saddle. If it's a good saddle you never think about it. If you're aware of it, then you and you're nuts have a problem.

4th exchange here I come, here's hoping for a Sharp.

Running Sloth

Dec 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
hmm, there might be a higher rate of Taiwan's being Sharps..

has it been confirmed here with anyone having Made in China units with Sharp displays?

really getting tired of this returning till i get a SOLID device where i can actually use it.

If my next one is not a decent one with NO FLICKERING what so ever, I'm done with the Sensation 4G. Probably just use a garbage phone for the time being and waiting on the Samsung Hercules. Too much wasted time cherry picking Sensations. Seems recently with much anticipated HTC Success, their Quality Assurance team has totally dropped the ball.

I've had squishy back covers, to power buttons leaning to 1 side (making it hard to press), to garbage quality flickering screens. My previous HTC HD2 WAS ROCK SOLID. Bought 1, and never had an issue with it. Used it for a little over a year and sold it, to buy the Sensation..

My sentiments exactly.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

Mase_Mase

May 6, 2008
AUO Panel from Taiwan

Okay peeps, I'm on my third panel:

1) The first panel was a Sharp made in Taiwan with a build date of 5/25. I was happy with it until a sloppy drunk slapped it out of my hand (pic attached).

2) The second phone came in through an Asurion insurance claim. It was an AUO panel made in China with a build date of mid June. This panel had a really bad pink hue when tilted to the side and a yellow tint when looked at straight on. Any blue objects on the screen would would have a greenish tint to it and any yellows on the screen were really yellow or almost orange. I called TMo and did a warranty exchange. I claimed a pink tint on the screen.

3) The third (and I hope final) screen is also an AUO, but it's made in Taiwan. Also, it's got a vibrant screen with no yellow when viewed straight on and a slight pink tint when tilted to the side. I'm VERY happy with this unit and I'll keep it out of sight of sloppy drunk girls.

As a side note, the glass is pretty scratch resistant. Since it was broken, I took my keys to the largest piece and went to town. No scratches! Very impressive!

Attachments

• Borked_small.jpg
    Borked_small.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 392

vvilliamm

Jun 15, 2011
well im hoping tmobile will come out with those value plans soon =/ i just want to save 80 dollars on my monthly bill. im happy that i switch my auo to get my current sharp screen.

my next phone will probably be a hd res amoled

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
All AUO screen issues are just software issues?
I was told my service center that I could pick up my phone. They said that
it is a software problem.
I will have a look at the phone to see whether that is really the case.

I think what annoys me the absolute most about the flickering and blurring of the AUO screen is that I makes the phone look and feel like its lagging when it's really not. I know this phone is no slower than my old one with the sharp screen, yet it often feels slow and laggy due to the flickering and blurring of the screen.

Decided I can't take the AUO screen any longer. I find it very distracting, thus ruining the overall experience of an otherwise great phone. I shouldn't be so aware of the screen, I should be able to just enjoy it without thinking about it. It's kind of like a bicycle saddle. If it's a good saddle you never think about it. If you're aware of it, then you and you're nuts have a problem.

4th exchange here I come, here's hoping for a Sharp.

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
just curious. you get free replace for your broken phone?
Okay peeps, I'm on my third panel:

1) The first panel was a Sharp made in Taiwan with a build date of 5/25. I was happy with it until a sloppy drunk slapped it out of my hand (pic attached).

2) The second phone came in through an Asurion insurance claim. It was an AUO panel made in China with a build date of mid June. This panel had a really bad pink hue when tilted to the side and a yellow tint when looked at straight on. Any blue objects on the screen would would have a greenish tint to it and any yellows on the screen were really yellow or almost orange. I called TMo and did a warranty exchange. I claimed a pink tint on the screen.

3) The third (and I hope final) screen is also an AUO, but it's made in Taiwan. Also, it's got a vibrant screen with no yellow when viewed straight on and a slight pink tint when tilted to the side. I'm VERY happy with this unit and I'll keep it out of sight of sloppy drunk girls.

As a side note, the glass is pretty scratch resistant. Since it was broken, I took my keys to the largest piece and went to town. No scratches! Very impressive!

Maximus999

Aug 9, 2010
London

Did you try the procedure located in the op?

Yeah, that's how I know it's a Sharp, I just wanted to know if there is a sure-fire way of telling the first and second version of the Sharp screens apart. I think I have the second type since the off angle viewing is pretty awesome compared to some of the pics I have seen in this thread.

knobgoo

Jun 26, 2011
Yeah, that's how I know it's a Sharp, I just wanted to know if there is a sure-fire way of telling the first and second version of the Sharp screens apart. I think I have the second type since the off angle viewing is pretty awesome compared to some of the pics I have seen in this thread.

There is not a confirmed V1 and V2 of the Sharp screen. It may very well just be quality inconsistencies as seen with the AUO screens.

Thought I should report this. Today I returned my S due to it rebooting 5x a day for no reason and dust under the screen. It had an AUO screen and it was replaced with another AUO screen phone. Both phones made in China with the exact same date 6/17. My first as I have reported before had amazing colors, very white whites and was super sharp.

Upon startup of the second brand new phone I noticed that the HTC logo wasn't as sharp...:confused: I was thinking no way, it's gotta be me. It wasn't me though, as soon as the phone booted it was clear that the screen wasn't as sharp as my last. Incidentally it also had dust under the screen but when the vibration stopped working enough was enough.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the My Touch 4g I'm sure you MT4G users will remember the good screen/bad screen issue. Where one lcd panel was made by sony, and the other was made by sharp. The Sharp lcd screen would wash out more on an angle than the sony. I have read some people speculate that the sensation might have the same "issue"

It has been confirmed that the Sensation has two different LCD panels. One made by Acer (AUO) and one made by sharp. The sensation does not have a good screen bad screen issue. Some people prefer the acer screen and others prefer the sharp. I have had both and they both are really beautiful displays. You can only really tell the difference if they are side by side.

To find out which panel you have:
    Use terminal emulator (free from the market) and run the command dmesg (root is not needed obviously)

it will output a bunch of stuff.. look for this line and report it: (if you can't find it you can long press on the output in terminal emulator copy all and then paste it into an email and send it to yourself)
    just look for the line (the numbers might not be the same) [ 9178.895111] Panel Type = PANEL_ID_PYD_??????

Mine is sharp so my line is Panel Type = PANEL_ID_PYD_SHARP

If you have searched and can't find reboot and try again.

Pics I took of the two side by side:
    AUO on left/top Sharp on right/bottom:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113479...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPTX9bjj3NDrbQ&feat=directlink
    Is there anyway you can do a side by side comparison of the two? Why are you returning the unbranded one? I too have an unbranded asian version which has been working great.

I'm really curious to see the two screens side by side. As I said mine is a Sharp, and it doesnt seem bad at all. It doesnt seem to wash out as much as the sharp screen in the MT4G

Because the unbranded one isn't 4g? Though what was odd, is that I could only seem to get edge with the unbranded phone. It's probably more of an APN issue, but I was impatient and ran out into town and found a local 4g one to try. I live in a HSPA+ capable area, so I wanted the maximum speeds. I plan to play around more with the apn settings and do some speed comparisons.

As far as the screens, I'll try and post some photos. In interior lighting, I think the Acer screen's whites look more true, and then in outdoors, the Acer looks a little reddish.

I can now see what a previous poster said about the Sharp being more smooth, and the acer more grainy. I didn't notice it before he said it though. In the whites, you can kind of discern horizontal rows of pixels, whereas the sharp is more smoothed out. But the sharp is also less saturated, maybe a little washed out looking as well.

I think they both look good on their own, and both have their pros/cons.

Here's my image:
    larger.jpg

ETA: Left is AUO, Right is SHARP
    I'd you don't mind , could you please post a pic of them both side by side at an angle ? I wanted to see the wash out effect.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App
    angle.jpg

side-side.jpg

side-side-small.jpg

Here's an angle (I think the Acer looses by a smidge on the angle wash-out). Then I took a couple more side by sides. I think on the last one, you can really see the line effect on the Acer screen vs. the Sharp.
    is there a way, other than installing a terminal emulator, to distinguish between the two displays?:confused:

because i'm about to buy another one, but in the shop I can't ask to install my sim, set up the gmail account and install the terminal emulator:(

:)

Don't worry about it. When you go to the store, if you like the display then who cares? No one here is going to ever see your phone, and odds are you're not going to have two sensations with you at all times to compare screens with. Unbox it, turn it on, and just enjoy whatever screen you get.
    my sensation got this : PANEL_ID_PYD_AUO_NT