[Q]Google Voice hijacked my texts as well as my voicemail. How do I get it to stop?

Search This thread

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
I want Google talk to handle my voicemails, but after flashing End of Days last night (and subsequently, to restore to make it stop, MikFroyo), my google talk app handles all my incoming communications.

Here's the thing. I don't want it to. I like that it delivers my voicemails, but my set up on both mikfroyo and end of days both accommodate for messages. My Google Talk widget is on the far right screen on both.

What can I do to make it stop taking my texts but leave the voicemail?

Last edited:

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
I would uninstall it, reinstall it, but upon that, disable the text handling feature.

Is that part of the install process or is that something I can get to somewhere in settings?

I forgot to mention, when I uninstall it, I don't get any texts anyone sends me until I re-install it. My voicemails go to my text message inbox...so it's kind of a screwy circle.

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
Is that part of the install process or is that something I can get to somewhere in settings?

I forgot to mention, when I uninstall it, I don't get any texts anyone sends me until I re-install it. My voicemails go to my text message inbox...so it's kind of a screwy circle.

Well I haven't used talk yet.. [no one to try it with], but for google voice it is a parameter that can be enabled/disabled, and I think that may be overriding it.

Reactions: AbsolutZeroGI

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
Its all good, and no problem. Hope it helps. :)

I'm guessing you may have overlooked it with your 'touch-itis' as my mom calls it. :p

Figured it out.

It wasn't entirely my fault, as the check boxes are cleverly named.

Here's the process (for anyone viewing this who wanted to know the answer):

Open up google voice inbox

Hit menu>more>settings>notifications and sync

*Edit* Check the box called Notifications via Text Message. It'll say you'll receive double notifcations. Hit okay, we'll fix that problem in a second.

Then, under that, disable all inbox notifications for Google Voice. This will prevent double notifications.

This will send the messages BACK to the stock messaging app (and to your GV inbox as well, but since you turned off GV notifications, you won't get a double notification for a text). The only downside is GV will text you every time you get a voicemail (which is no big deal). Other than that, everything is back to normal.

Thank you Teh Roxxorz for putting up with my GV-noobness until I figured it out :D

Last edited:

alaman68

Nov 20, 2010
drinking under a bridge
so is this still the setup? or did you change anything else? I made the porting mistake today and the google voice texting is driving me crazy. almost as bad as 9016 texts

thanks

sekigah84

Jan 14, 2009
New York City
Just curious. I had this happen to me as well but I thought it was because I linked my Sprint number to GV and thought that it is now taking over everything. I personally deal with the fact that GV takes over my messages (doesn't work for Safereader on Vlingo) but I like that texts pop up on my computer due to the GV extension for Chrome.

Did you link your GV to your Sprint number as well? Or does everyone that installs GV now have it take over their texts?

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
Just curious. I had this happen to me as well but I thought it was because I linked my Sprint number to GV and thought that it is now taking over everything. I personally deal with the fact that GV takes over my messages (doesn't work for Safereader on Vlingo) but I like that texts pop up on my computer due to the GV extension for Chrome.

Did you link your GV to your Sprint number as well? Or does everyone that installs GV now have it take over their texts?

I linked my Sprint number to my GV and that's when it started sending texts to my GV instead of my regular messaging app. Before I linked it up, it only routed my voicemail to my GV inbox. It was very frustrating to me, as in the aosp rom and the sense roms I use I have my messaging apps set up where I like them and it's a pain in the ass to incorporate a GV widget into my set up ergonomically.

The process I outlined above works no matter what you're using (froyo, gingerbread with and without sense). I've used it on End of Days (which is a CM7 kang) and MikFroYo and it was the same process.

I haven't used it on my computer at all, so I don't know anything about that.

Last edited:

zmanfarlee

Jan 17, 2011
POsting here because it was first google result and I found an updated fix. Im on stock 4.4.4 Oneplus

Settings>Wireless&Networks>More>Voice+>click disable...

Slight change

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its all good, and no problem. Hope it helps. :)

I'm guessing you may have overlooked it with your 'touch-itis' as my mom calls it. :p

Figured it out.

Here's the process (for anyone viewing this who wanted to know the answer):

Open up google voice inbox

Hit menu>more>settings>notifications and sync

*Edit* Check the box called Notifications via Text Message. It'll say you'll receive double notifcations. Hit okay, we'll fix that problem in a second.

Then, under that, disable all inbox notifications for Google Voice. This will prevent double notifications.

This will send the messages BACK to the stock messaging app (and to your GV inbox as well, but since you turned off GV notifications, you won't get a double notification for a text). The only downside is GV will text you every time you get a voicemail (which is no big deal). Other than that, everything is back to normal.

Thank you Teh Roxxorz for putting up with my GV-noobness until I figured it out :D
    I would uninstall it, reinstall it, but upon that, disable the text handling feature.

Well I haven't used talk yet.. [no one to try it with], but for google voice it is a parameter that can be enabled/disabled, and I think that may be overriding it.
    Figured it out.

Well the box are fairly deceptive...decepticons I'm sure, but no noobyness, I actually learned something. :)