[Q] Calendar notification sound reverts to default

Search This thread

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Just like the title says, I set a custom sound for calendar notifications, but it reverts back to default as soon as I leave the calenar app. I go back, and the sound for notifications is not the one I previously set. Is it just my phone or is it like that for everybody?

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Stock, never been rooted. I placed sounds in "notification" folder on the phone, not on SD card. I can see them when I set the sound for calendar, and I can hear them of course. But if I choose any of my own sounds, as soon as I leave the app and go back, it shows the default sound again.
I can, however, change to one of the Samsung sounds successfully.
My sounds are fine, they worked on my Rezound, and work on my Galaxy Tab.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Seems like irs a problem with your tones, or the storage location since you can use the stock tones. I would just use zedge from Google play and download a new tone and see if it works.

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
See, that's why I specifically said the tones are fine. They worked on Rezound, they work on my Tab now. I just specifically checked again, I can set them for text message notifications, alarms, ringtone, anything, but calendar. Same tones. It's a problem with the calendar app. Same tone set fot txt works like a charm. But not for calendar.

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Same issue here, it's the same thing with the timer in the clock app. Definitely a bug that has not been addressed. Pretty annoying.

Sent from my VZW GS3 running Synergy/Trinity/Dark Horse Rises

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
I knew they were good on your other phones, but maybe the s3 didn't like then. But if they can be used as other times that's not the case. I would really try zedge not sure were it saved then but mine stick just tested it.

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
I'd rather not install another app that that I don't really need. Maybe there's a fix to this problem some other way?

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
I'd rather not install another app that that I don't really need. Maybe there's a fix to this problem some other way?

I think the point is to test with an app that is known to work - for all we know, it might be a permissions issue with the files you copied, for example. Without direct knowledge of why the problem is happening, testing with a known quantity might help eliminate one set of possibilities and hone in on the problem-causing element.

The app can always be uninstalled, as well.

Another test might be to place your tones on a SD card (if you have one), which should have no access issues for any stock app.

- ooofest

Reactions: kintwofan

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
I think the point is to test with an app that is known to work - for all we know, it might be a permissions issue with the files you copied, for example. Without direct knowledge of why the problem is happening, testing with a known quantity might help eliminate one set of possibilities and hone in on the problem-causing element.

Another test might be to place your tones on a SD card (if you have one), which should have no access issues for any stock app.

- ooofest

That's actually my point, test the apps download. Then look at were they are saved and the permissions. Then simply put your files in there with the same permissions.

Reactions: ooofest

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
That's actually my point, test the apps download. Then look at were they are saved and the permissions. Then simply put your files in there with the same permissions.

Yeah, it does smack of a permissions issue on its face, doesn't it?

Could be a different bug in the app, but maybe the background process is having an access problem so reverts back to the default tone.

- ooofest

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Ok, I'll test them on SD card and report back. However, if I can set the same tone for txt, for example, it doesn't seem to me like a permission issue.

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
I just tested and checked permissions (which differ in a manner that shouldn't matter from the ICS notification files, I believe), among other things. I wasn't able to see where I could select a custom ringtone for the new event, though had copied them over to various directories, but did select a custom sound for all calendar events. It defaulted to the standard tone.

Then, I saw this thread that explains the issue and offers a potential workaround/fix:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ncluded-ringtones-anyone-using-their-own.html

- ooofest

Last edited:

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Ok, I knew it wasn't a permission or a tone issue. It's a glitch with this thing. Very annoying. I guess all we can do is deal with it, huh? Calendar like that is pretty useless. I never hear any reminders. :thumbdown: :banghead: :(

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Yes, yes, I've read that. But couldn't it just work like every other phone (I assume)? Paying for some tiny feature like this, because it's a stupid bug, just doesn't sound very nice.

On second thought, if there's an app that can do that without root permission, shouldn't we be able to accomplish the same without that app?

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
On second thought, if there's an app that can do that without root permission, shouldn't we be able to accomplish the same without that app?

Well, this whole thing is making me consider re-rooting my phone, so that I can copy the custom tones to the proper directory, update their permissions to match the other tone files and see if that makes a difference. Maybe the Calendar app is hardcoded to use tones in that subdirectory only, but the selection UI screen is coded differently, allowing any tones to be selected.

I feel that if I select a tone in Notifications or a similar location, the Calendar app goes back to its default of the "On Time" tone, that is a clue to where it might be looking for a tone file when an event goes off. Or not, we'll see.

- ooofest

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Well, sure it will work if you root it. But I still think we can make it work without root, if some app can get it done for unrooted phones.

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
I'm guessing that app hooks into calendar events, but that involves writing code.

This works for me:

1. Root your phone. The easiest way I've found is located here.

2. Using Root Explorer (or similar file management app that has been granted SuperUser privileges after rooting) Move or Copy your notification sound file(s) to:

/system/media/audio/notifications/

I changed the permissions to rw-r--r-- for the moved files, but it turns out their default permissions also worked fine.

3. Back in the Calendar app, select your moved/copied notification ringtone from the list.

4. Unroot your phone, if desired.

Doing the above allowed me to use custom tones for the Calendar notifications - I tested with .ogg files, but perhaps .mp3 or others may also work.

(At first, it seemed a side-effect caused loss of system sounds, but it turned out I somehow turned the System sound volume to 0 through some fumble fingering.)

So, no side-effects and I'm back to being stock, unrooted. Whole process took less than 10 minutes with testing.

- ooofest

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- ooofest

- ooofest

I use the On Time notification sound, which has been good for me. I have rather sensitive hearing, admittedly.

The link I offered explained that a paid app in Play can provide different ringtone options, repeating notifications, popups, etc. for the Calendar:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...Zvb2JhcnNvZnQuY2FsZW5kYXJldmVudHJlbWluZGVyIl0

- ooofest