[KERNEL][WIP] Classic Sense Kernel v1.5 [JUL 22 2012][GINGERBREAD][SENSE]

Search This thread

RascalDoc

Nov 9, 2011
So Florida
Is anyone else having the above problem, trying too figure it if singular circumstance or not

Assuming for now it's singular...
Did you clear cache and dalvik cache.. Also did the md5 match up with your download, have you tried reflashing? I know my wife's epic was doing this but was showing different states and such..I wiped caches, reflashed and it went away..

I couldn't flash the test kernel fast enough ...lol .... on MikG3.11. Everything seemed to be fine although I did not specifically check my gps. I flashed the sbc version of the two you have out now, checked google maps and it has my location perfect.

Battery life seems great so far also ..... it's been on since 6 AM and I'm still at 82% which for me is fine. Hope the info helps ...
edit: I wiped twice, dalvik-cache and cache- using amon-ra, before flashing ......

chas123

Oct 29, 2008
As a matter of fact I am, but it hasn't done this in a long time. I was previously using either the latest stock kernel or Lithid's kernel. If it's my Airrave what can I do?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Well, since you're at home you know where you are lol.

j/k

To test your gps, you could turn the airrave off. I also have an airrave. I believe the location it shows when you have wireless networks checked is where your isp's servers are located. Just a guess. Mine shows me about 45 minutes from where I am. Seems like if I uncheck use wireless networks and use gps only, my location is dead on. I guess you could get the spooks at google to geotag your wireless router.

On a side note this app is awesome for fine tuning gps. It will get my position sitting in my basement bathroom.

EyeAssureU

Apr 19, 2011
Omaha,Ne
BUMP

Sorry...just wanted to see if anyone wouldn't mind helping me with this. TIA

Im not having this issue. I travel constantly and have noticed the issue in the past but that was tracked down to specific tower issues, not my phone. I simply checked my settings for network and GPS locations then fixed permissions. Hope that helps.

cdadams1223

Oct 18, 2010
Well, since you're at home you know where you are lol.

j/k

To test your gps, you could turn the airrave off. I also have an airrave. I believe the location it shows when you have wireless networks checked is where your isp's servers are located. Just a guess. Mine shows me about 45 minutes from where I am. Seems like if I uncheck use wireless networks and use gps only, my location is dead on. I guess you could get the spooks at google to geotag your wireless router.

On a side note this app is awesome for fine tuning gps. It will get my position sitting in my basement bathroom.

How do you check out uncheck things for your Airrave...I mean how do you gain access to its "inner workings"? What's weird is I can open my Google Maps app and it will start off in the wrong city and then shift to my house where it should be.

PyreKing

Feb 3, 2012
jax,fl
Great job bro sbc in gb is awesome. Any chance you could put intellidemand govenor in this.

MicrosoftBug

Jun 2, 2006
Miami, FL
Is the SBC kernel supposed to have that 10% drop? It's only been one charge but I've been off the charger for 32 mins and it's at 96%.

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

cmonsterf50

Jan 26, 2011
Oregon
How do you check out uncheck things for your Airrave...I mean how do you gain access to its "inner workings"? What's weird is I can open my Google Maps app and it will start off in the wrong city and then shift to my house where it should be.

I have an airave as well. I haven't tested gps yet. As far as inner workings. These not much you can change with those.

Iced Tapatalk Cookies ... nuummm

MicrosoftBug

Jun 2, 2006
Miami, FL
Are you sure that you have sbc kernel on? It should not turn negative. My would go down to + 3 + 5. And stay that way. I mean after hitting 100 %

Sent from my lair.

Mine did that too, but I kept charging passed that point. Is it possible I fried the battery?

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Last edited:

KennyCap

Jun 8, 2011
Broketown MA
wait a sec this is gonna sound noobish but with SBC I can't put my phone on the charger and go to sleep? That can't be right can it

Sent from my Transformer using xda premium using cm9 with cornerstone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Classic Sense Kernel

This kernel started out of a request from tommytomatoe to have a stock kernel with sbc optional. So here I present a stock-"ish" kernel for gingerbread. Hopefully this will fill a niche where either the end user who likes the stock kernel, as well as the user who has issues getting custom kernels to run will both have something to flash that gives them that little bit extra without going overboard. There is no overclocking in this kernel, nor undervolting. This is for a stock experience with a few tweaks.

What's in this Stock-"ish" kernel

Stock Kernel 2.6.35.10
    Enabled Wireless N
    Powersave Governor enabled
    Perflock Disabled
    HDMI Fix
    GPS Fix
    3 Point Touch Check
    10 Point Touch
    Superior Battery Charging (SBC)
    Audio Boosted with On/Off Toggle (default setting is on)
    Fast USB Charge with On/Off Toggle (default setting is off)
    Reduced Wifi Voltage
    Front Facing Camera Fix (should work on all gingerbread sense)
    CIQ Disabled
    Fix for those having issue with hostpot
    Enabled EXT4 Support (applied performance patch)

Instructions

Apply with your preferred custom recovery and clear Dalvik Cache/Cache.

For SBC
    It seems to help if you wipe Dalvik Cache/Cache.
    And make sure the phone is fully booted before plugging it in.

For Audio Boost to turn on and off
    Code:
    Audio Boost On
    echo 1 > /sys/kernel/audio_boost/aboost
    Audio Boost Off
    echo 0 > /sys/kernel/audio_boost/aboost
    Query Audio Boost Status
    cat /sys/kernel/audio_boost/aboost
    For USB Fast Charge to turn on and off
    The below code will toggle it in the terminal, but a cool way to turn it on and off would be to support the original dev who put this mod together, chad0989 by purchasing his widget that controls this version of usb fast charge as well as the patch version. LINK TO WIDGET
    Code:
    USB Fast Charge On
    echo 1 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/fast_charge_usb
    USB Fast Charge Off
    echo 0 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/fast_charge_usb
    Query USB Fast Charge Status
    cat /sys/kernel/fast_charge/fast_charge_usb

File Descriptions

The Non-SBC Version of the Kernel
    classickernelv#.zip

The SBC Version of the Kernel
    classickernelv#-sbc.zip

Credits

I am grateful to all, from the developers, to the end users who
    provide the feedback and use what is created.

More specifically (in alphabetical order) I would like to credit
    the following developers for their work.

barnacles10
    cayniarb
    chad0989
    detcup4evr
    drellisdee
    faux123
    lithid
    ms79723
    netarchy
    paulmck
    TeamWin
    tiny4579
    toastcfh
    ziggy471

Also I would like to thank 2 alpha testers who kept me going

swagstr
    tommytomatoe

Also I would like to thank the tester for the ffc fix

buckhunter (test all 4 options I wanted to check)
    sclarktay4

Disclaimer

As with all things, not every variant can be accounted for. Please use at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damages/bricks/etc that may accompany use of this kernel.

Bug Reporting

Post a reply in this thread or pm me, and I will do my best to assist and/or correct bugs.

Update History

v1.5
    Enabled EXT4 Support (applied performance patch)

v1.4
    Changed Audio boost to on/off toggle
    USB Fast Charge and on/off toggle

v1.3
    CIQ Disabled
    Fix for Hotspot for some users

v1.2
    Front Facing Camera Fix
    Compiler Optimizations

v1.1
    Boosted Audio More
    Reduced Wifi Voltage

v1.0 - Initial Release.
    Stock Kernel 2.6.35.10
    Enabled Wireless N
    Powersave Governor enabled
    Perflock Disabled
    HDMI Fix
    GPS Fix
    3 Point Touch Check
    10 Point Touch
    Superior Battery Charging (SBC)

Links

classickernelv15.zip
    md5: c522f5d213069899528e3c5147e6271a
    classickernelv15-sbc.zip
    md5: 2de0f7b3c3df360a8f427266a27bdbde
    Old Links

classickernelv14.zip
    md5: 0d2ea9654c5ab89ab03f8bfc5a8a5f73
    classickernelv14-sbc.zip
    md5: 7a2358e5403328ae71197264cb51ce31

classickernelv13.zip
    md5: 64613e676fa14e39680ddd5fb5eaa2fb
    classickernelv13-sbc.zip
    md5: 854ab7405da435de27d59b791d9f73e7

classickernelv12.zip
    md5: 89fbe977334cbc01696cd5a799116b47
    classickernelv12-sbc.zip
    md5: 26b9fe8d017a900a8ea178a674ecff8f

classickernelv11.zip
    md5: 34a152540ff4816f564d304dbf5570dc
    classickernelv11-sbc.zip
    md5: eb2ebfb127e8de3dfeff44e2fe75b89f

classickernelv1.zip
    md5: 100206d020655c3b57b6c0e325efae6c
    classickernelv1-sbc.zip
    md5: c9358099b966c2b9ea330a52ebb082e9

Github
    SBC info

With most current development moving on to newer phones, I very much appreciate the folks that do still dev for our old Evo 4G's. I have one of the 003 hardware revisions that just get crappy battery life no matter what, but I've just learned to live with it (extended battery & chargers everywhere). I did notice long ago, back when Froyo was the shiznit, that SBC kernels helped more than would seem logical, and I'm very glad to see it available in a current, GB Sense kernel.

Now to share some of the SBC wisdom that was shared with me by the kernel devs of that time period:

1. When using an SBC kernel, any and all forms of battery calibration are now moot. The trickle charging of an SBC kernel does that better over one night than is possible using any normal calibration method.

2. Everyone suggested installing Battery Monitor Widget, which I have been doing for over a year. I leave the bottom and top values at default (current battery charge % & current mA charge), but remove the battery image in the middle and have that displaying the current battery voltage (mV).

Note: if you have an extended, higher capacity battery (1700 - 3500 mAh), be sure to go into the settings for the Battery Monitor Widget and change the battery capacity from the default 1500mAh to the value of your battery.

3. Charge the battery until it has been showing a consistent charge rate ranging from 2mA - 6mA. Now, leaving the phone plugged in, reboot into recovery and wipe the battery stats. Boot the phone back up, let it charge until it's at the same rate as before, and you're done.

None of this information is new, secret, or of my own creation. I just hoped to create a simple post that would provide usable info about using SBC kernels. There are a couple of possible or at least theoretical caveats to using an SBC kernel so I'll share those as well.

1. There are L-Ion battery experts that say that doing this will shorten the life of the battery. This may be true, but based on the increase in daily, usable battery life I saw using these kernels, if it killed my battery every 6-months I'd still use them. However, the fact is that I'm still using the same extended battery that I purchased as soon as they were available, so I've not experience any dramatic shortening of battery life.

2. Some of these same battery experts say that using SBC kernels can be a safety hazard, and that they can make the batteries catch fire or explode. I might have bought into this were it not for the fact that every L-Ion battery has a protective circuit built into it to prevent this from occurring. Also, in all of these claims I've as yet to ever see a name of someone that this occurred to, nor seen a single post by someone that had this occur.

There were a few instances long ago of android phone batteries exploding; in one case the user was actually killed. However, in each of the cases that I read about, there were three things in common. First, all of these phones were from the same manufacturer. Second, the users were using the phone while plugged into the chargers. Third, and pay close attention here...none of these folks were using SBC kernels. SBC kernels didn't even exist yet.

If anyone has any additional and/or corrective related information, I welcome it. The more accurate the information we all have is the better off we all are.

Thank you for your time.
    reserved.

random commentary

My fiirst time posting a kernel or anything of this type, please let me know if i messed up the updaterscript, (spelling errors, upload doesnt match my md5, etc)... thank to all who tested.
    updated OP. New version Classic V1.2

Includes the front facing camera fix.
    also includes compiler optimizations.
    Ok I have a fix attempt for the Front facing camera... I had tried the code changes before, but I would get Media force closes and camera force closes.. But then I thought to myself, perhaps the fcs are from the data residing on from the apps and they would need to be cleared...

So this is what I did, flashed a brand new install of a 4.67 rom (i used boot manager slot so I didn't have to clean out the phone rom), cleared system/data/cache and flahed the rom and flashed the kernel right after without booting first, loaded up the rom and no force closes...

Now if someone is willing to test out this kernel (I used classic since its the least modified from source, so its a more stable testing base) to see if when using google hangout and 4.67 ota based rom if the receiver sees the you flipped/mirrored as well as your own display, please PM me... I'm only looking for a couple people to test it out...

I also want to test how to get it to run without force closes on an already installed rom.. I'm thinking maybe clearing data on camera app and media app, rebooting to recovery immediately, clearing cache and dalvik cache, flash the modified kernel, clear cache and dalvik cache again to be sure, then reboot.

Finally if both those work and get hashed out, then I want to see if someone with can do the two above procedures with a 4.54 ota based rom and see if it gets a flipped camera/video, or does it work for both 4.54 and 4.67 (i want to find out if I need to provide 2 seperate variations of each kernel for different otas or not)

So in essence I'm looking for testers to do 3-4 things... one is to see if the kernel modification works to begin with on a clean install and if that works, then I want to see how we can get it to work so someone doesn't have to do a clean install... and to see if it borks on 4.54.

Please only pm if you are willing to test it out... if it is successful, no worries I will release an update for Classic Sense and Underworld Sense.

Thank you again to all who have shown interest in the kernels I have been compiling, and thank you to the testers and those who leave comments letting me know how its running (for both this kernel and underworld)