Nyko Playpad Quick Review

Search This thread

bluejay2345

Dec 10, 2010
My Nyko Playpad came in from Amazon on Friday (earlier than the estimated ship date I might add...) and here are my quick thoughts.

Summary: Very disappointing. Build quality is questionable, it doesn't work with a lot of games and their 'app' is a broken mess.

Details:

1. The device is VERY small. I have small hands and it is difficult to press the L1, R1, L2 and R2 buttons because the thing is so small. Some one with slightly larger hands would probably have a really hard time using this device. This isn't a knock per se, because it is advertised as a 'portable' solution. You just probably don't want to plan to do any extended gaming on this.

2. The build quality feels light, cheap and 'plasticky'. I feel like I am going to break the L2 and R2 buttons every time I press them. This feels like a cheap $15 knock off controller, not a $40 controller in the same price range as an XBox controller.

3. The analog controls are stiff and imprecise. They are not covered in the same rubber texture that the body is covered in, and the raised 'bumps' that are there to provide grip are VERY raised. It feels like pressing your thumbs on tiny spikes and is not comfortable.

4. The free app that exists to allow you to map buttons (which would solve the game compatibility problem) does not work. The entry in the Google Play store warns the app 'is in beta'. 'Beta' is being generous. I could not get the app to sync the controller on either my HTC phone or my Asus Infinity. The sync process crashes at 50%.

Even more strange is the fact that the app doesn't use the 'App Mode' of the controller. When starting the app, a warning appears that 'In the current version, the app uses the HID/Game Pad mode'. The 'App Switch' at the top of the controller has to be in HID/Game pad mode to work (it still doesn't sync even when you use the right mode).

I am not the only one with this problem. There are numerous complaints and '1' ratings.

5. Unless your game supports this pad specifically or has built in remap functions, the controller is probably not going to work. In Snesoid for example, only one of the analog controllers and the 'Y' button work, and the rest just cause the 'Exit App' screen to appear.

6. The charging dongle that comes with the controller is an actual dongle. It is not a cable. This makes it very difficult to charge the device.

Conclusions. Right now this was a waste of my $40. When the app is fixed the pad might be usable, but it still will not be a product I would recommend to anyone.

Last edited:

radio five

Feb 12, 2011
I bought the Playpad Pro the other day from Gamestop and I would rate it 7/10. Overall, I'm very happy with the construction of the controller. I haven't held the regular Playpad, but I can tell you the Playpad Pro has a nice rubberized, non-slip finish to it and it feels surprisingly solid for what it is. It worked perfectly right out of the box with all of my favorite emulators (anything by yongzh, fpse, etc...). I'm disappointed to report that the triggers would not work with Max Payne Mobile. But, hey, not big deal as long as you don't need Bullet Time or the ability to shoot Max's guns! :/
Also, the app, as reported by bluejay2345 is indeed a desolate wasteland of perhaps 10 games, 3 of which you have maybe even heard of. One of these titles is Grand Theft Auto III, which admittedly worked amazingly well. The game controlled (and looked) even better than I remembered on the console versions. That being said, Nyko needs to show the app some serious TLC if this thing is ever going to catch on. They've got a really great concept going here, but it's in need of some immediate support.
But overall, I would highly recommend the Nyko Playpad Pro. Especially if your main goal is to relive classic games through emulation on your beastly tablet.

Sharpshooterrr

Jul 3, 2011
Do the analog sticks work with FPSE? I've read a review on Amazon where some guy can't make them work with FPSE.

radio five

Feb 12, 2011
I'm pleased to report that the left analog stick works fine. I couldn't get the right one to work, but I don't believe the ps1 had a right analog stick anyway.

Reactions: Sharpshooterrr

bluejay2345

Dec 10, 2010
I wish I had bought the Pro version instead of the portable version. It sounds like a much better deal, particularly given that they are the same price.

maxal

Jan 17, 2012
Southampton
I bought the Playpad Pro the other day from Gamestop and I would rate it 7/10. Overall, I'm very happy with the construction of the controller. I haven't held the regular Playpad, but I can tell you the Playpad Pro has a nice rubberized, non-slip finish to it and it feels surprisingly solid for what it is. It worked perfectly right out of the box with all of my favorite emulators (anything by yongzh, fpse, etc...). I'm disappointed to report that the triggers would not work with Max Payne Mobile. But, hey, not big deal as long as you don't need Bullet Time or the ability to shoot Max's guns! :/
Also, the app, as reported by bluejay2345 is indeed a desolate wasteland of perhaps 10 games, 3 of which you have maybe even heard of. One of these titles is Grand Theft Auto III, which admittedly worked amazingly well. The game controlled (and looked) even better than I remembered on the console versions. That being said, Nyko needs to show the app some serious TLC if this thing is ever going to catch on. They've got a really great concept going here, but it's in need of some immediate support.
But overall, I would highly recommend the Nyko Playpad Pro. Especially if your main goal is to relive classic games through emulation on your beastly tablet.

Hi, did you buy Playpad Pro on line. I live in the UK and I can't find any where to buy it.

dazdaz

Apr 30, 2010
What gamepad would you suggest for Android as an alternative to this device if you'd pay any price ?

radio five

Feb 12, 2011
Hi, did you buy Playpad Pro on line. I live in the UK and I can't find any where to buy it.

I bought mine from a brick and mortar Gamestop in my town.

(sorry for the late response)

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

What gamepad would you suggest for Android as an alternative to this device if you'd pay any price ?

That's the frustrating part of this whole thing. In my opinion, this is the best gamepad on the market. The build is solid and it feels like a nice, sturdy, ergonomic controller with all the necessary buttons. The problem we're faced with is the software. There is no other bluetooth gamepad out there that will do anything more than this will. Triggers are simply not recognized by any game unless it is already optimized for it, such as GTA III. Nyko's playground app is supposed to let you map any button to do what you like for any game out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't and the app is virtually worthless at this point. Once they finally come out with an update that enables the app to do what it's advertised to do, this will be the ultimate solution.

dazdaz

Apr 30, 2010
I bought mine from a brick and mortar Gamestop in my town.

(sorry for the late response)

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

That's the frustrating part of this whole thing. In my opinion, this is the best gamepad on the market. The build is solid and it feels like a nice, sturdy, ergonomic controller with all the necessary buttons. The problem we're faced with is the software. There is no other bluetooth gamepad out there that will do anything more than this will. Triggers are simply not recognized by any game unless it is already optimized for it, such as GTA III. Nyko's playground app is supposed to let you map any button to do what you like for any game out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't and the app is virtually worthless at this point. Once they finally come out with an update that enables the app to do what it's advertised to do, this will be the ultimate solution.

When are Nyko due to release an app update ? I finally ordered my gamepad and can't wait to have a few rounds of my favourite games on the Tablet.

Ready2Mosh

Jun 18, 2007
I think I am going to invest in the Moga, you put your phone in it or fold that part away and use it like a regular blue tooth gamepad for our tablets. It's $50 or $60 at best buy, I forgot.

TheHunterOfShadows

Aug 5, 2010
I think I am going to invest in the Moga, you put your phone in it or fold that part away and use it like a regular blue tooth gamepad for our tablets. It's $50 or $60 at best buy, I forgot.

Good luck. I heard the Moga is just as bad or worse. Great idea, but again poor execution. Wish I could a sixaxis without rooting. For my phone that's what I use, but for my tablet i want to keep stock (twc app, ect...)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dellenrules

Mar 22, 2011
I own the MOGA, Playpad and the Steelseries Free controller.
Out of the three, the Steelseries is my favorite. Its very comfortable... at least i feel it is.

The MOGA does not have native bluetooth IME support unless you use the universal driver app.
The Problem the MOGA has is that it isn't using android native drivers. Input starts out smooth but eventually lag... lag really, really bad.
If Power A figures out a way around the lag their app and drivers cause, then the controller would be amazing. Until they do, use the universal driver app.

The Nyko Playpad's Playground app is crappy and needs an update... bad. The thumb sticks/numbs are not as smooth as I was hoping, though it's about the same level of sensitivity as the MOGA.

The Steelseries Free just feels amazing. The Thumb Sticks are extremely smooth and every click just feels right. The only downside I have with the controller is the Price.
$80
You can get a PS3 controller for cheaper.

Last edited:

evilwise

Jun 6, 2005
I just spent a couple hours playing FPSE with the Playpad and I'm satisfied although the L2 and R2 buttons do not work in HID mode. I can live without dual analog support until Nyko gets their Playground app straightened out (or someone straightens it out for them, or suggests a good alternative) but I am a bit concerned about the L2 and R2 buttons, which were the main reason I chose this pad over an iControlpad (that only has two "shoulder" buttons). I also have not yet attempted to use the Playground app and probably won't until I have a game to play that really forces me to.

As far as the size goes, I was actually hoping it would be just a bit smaller. It is light but it seems fairly durable. Gamestop promised me a 30 day no questions asked warranty so I intend to do my best to break it in the next 30 days, I already dropped it right on its shoulder buttons before I ever even turned it on for the first time and it was none the worse for wear. It's also as mash-proof as I was hoping it would be. I'm slightly concerned that the L2 and R2 buttons may break in my pocket not from mashing but from catching up under their lips and pulling/levering but I guess we'll see. Unfortunately I may not realize it if they are since as I said they don't function in HID mode. I will make a point of testing them as I near my cut-off date if I'm still not using them for games.

If the SteelSeries wasn't twice the price, I might have considered it since it is definitely smaller and I'm not surprised to hear that it has a nice feel since it looked like it had a nice build quality but the Playpad is acceptable in this department and it is the only mobile gamepad that has four shoulder buttons.

Blazeburna

Aug 27, 2008
Houston
Xbox 360 wireless controller

I just use my xbox 360 controller with the wireless usb adapter, which you could get from amazon for under $20 and the usb/bt joycenter app (paid) with touch server. The controller navigates the tablet out of the box, but needs the app to play emulators and touch games like modern combat and nova. I get to use my wireless xbox 360 controller on my pc as well with the adapter which I already had. The only thing I had to buy was the app which I think was like 6 dollars. Works fine for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Nyko Playpad came in from Amazon on Friday (earlier than the estimated ship date I might add...) and here are my quick thoughts.

Summary: Very disappointing. Build quality is questionable, it doesn't work with a lot of games and their 'app' is a broken mess.

Details:

1. The device is VERY small. I have small hands and it is difficult to press the L1, R1, L2 and R2 buttons because the thing is so small. Some one with slightly larger hands would probably have a really hard time using this device. This isn't a knock per se, because it is advertised as a 'portable' solution. You just probably don't want to plan to do any extended gaming on this.

2. The build quality feels light, cheap and 'plasticky'. I feel like I am going to break the L2 and R2 buttons every time I press them. This feels like a cheap $15 knock off controller, not a $40 controller in the same price range as an XBox controller.

3. The analog controls are stiff and imprecise. They are not covered in the same rubber texture that the body is covered in, and the raised 'bumps' that are there to provide grip are VERY raised. It feels like pressing your thumbs on tiny spikes and is not comfortable.

4. The free app that exists to allow you to map buttons (which would solve the game compatibility problem) does not work. The entry in the Google Play store warns the app 'is in beta'. 'Beta' is being generous. I could not get the app to sync the controller on either my HTC phone or my Asus Infinity. The sync process crashes at 50%.

Even more strange is the fact that the app doesn't use the 'App Mode' of the controller. When starting the app, a warning appears that 'In the current version, the app uses the HID/Game Pad mode'. The 'App Switch' at the top of the controller has to be in HID/Game pad mode to work (it still doesn't sync even when you use the right mode).

I am not the only one with this problem. There are numerous complaints and '1' ratings.

5. Unless your game supports this pad specifically or has built in remap functions, the controller is probably not going to work. In Snesoid for example, only one of the analog controllers and the 'Y' button work, and the rest just cause the 'Exit App' screen to appear.

6. The charging dongle that comes with the controller is an actual dongle. It is not a cable. This makes it very difficult to charge the device.

Conclusions. Right now this was a waste of my $40. When the app is fixed the pad might be usable, but it still will not be a product I would recommend to anyone.
    I'm pleased to report that the left analog stick works fine. I couldn't get the right one to work, but I don't believe the ps1 had a right analog stick anyway.