Razr HD & Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Search This thread

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
Again, It's not as simple as snapping on a back cover like the OG Razr. Motorola specifically engineered the HD to keep people from doing the conversion. Look at the pics in the OP. Notice how when you take it apart there's alot of diff compents attached to BOTH sides? You're gonna have a ton of soldering/modding to do and the chance of burning up/breaking a component are very high. Even if you are experienced, its a pretty tough job, and the potential money you lose (300-400) vs the potential gain (800 maH) in battery power. It really isnt that much of an upgrade....the Razr HD already has better battery power than the OG Razr Maxx. Thats why Moto also doubled the internal storage space to justify the price difference (which you wont be getting). And honestly, the Maxx HD isn't really worht the extra money if you ask me. I have a Maxx HD and the only reason I got it was b/c I got a great deal on it. Otherwise I'd still be rocking my Razr HD.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirceucorsetti

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
i've seen a net store selling this.But could i use only this piece for getting my conversion?

Maybe... does it include the NFC stuff? Are there other plastic bits missing that need to be 'welded' on? I'd need to see both sides of the piece before being confident it will work for a swap.

addendum to previous answer: non-maxx battery will work in maxx-back. (you can just shim the thinner battery with some cardstock to keep it secure). If you somehow manage to order that back cover, give it a try and see if you can make it work.

creondai

Jun 5, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Grant, we're speaking about getting a maxx HD from a simple HD device. I got mine yesterday, so gonna wait for getting tools, the battery and back plate. I noticed also, that for more energy we could use a HD battery cover, but were could we get one?

Sent from my XT925 using xda app-developers app

Jan 27, 2011
I read the thread, great work, i have two questions however. I get metal shavings in my ear piece speaker with relative frequency, it appears that you gained access to the ear piece speaker at step 5, Is that correct?

Also did any point in this tear-down void your warranty? As in, did you have to remove any stickers or break any tabs that would reveal to the factory that it had been tampered with?

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
Did you buy your phone second hand? Then your warranty is void anyway.

I honestly believe that the whole voided warranty thing is more a scare tactic. Unless you have done something to your phone that directly breaks it and then you go to Motorola or Verizon and demand they replace your phone cuz you screwed it up, then I wouldnt really worry about it. With the amount of phones Verizon nd Motorola deal with on a daily basis, I doubt they would sink the man-hours into tearing down each individual phone checking warranty stickers (and thats if they even have them) to bust a few people here and there to save money on replacing the phone. The money spent on the man-hours checking every single phone would far outweigh the money saved by not awarding customers their warranty.

Also keep in mind, that warranty and insurance are 2 separate coverages anyway. Warranty is free when you buy your phone and that is through Motorola. Insurance is through another company (Asurian) and you pay for that coverage. If something happens to your phone, dont volunteer the information that you did a teardown and you should be fine.

Im not saying it isnt possible to void your warranty, just that its unlikely they would find out unless it was something really obvious.

Last edited:

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
it appears that you gained access to the ear piece speaker at step 5, Is that correct?
I don't remember how accessible the ear speaker is from the inside. However, the motorola logo on the OUTSIDE of the speaker should simply snap off if you want to clean that area out.

Also did any point in this tear-down void your warranty? As in, did you have to remove any stickers or break any tabs that would reveal to the factory that it had been tampered with?
No stickers or seals were harmed during the teardown.

I agree with JJT211. Don't worry about your warranty, the worry is if you somehow mangle the water-damage stickers.

As you have seen, the inside of the phone is filled with fingerprints & handwriting from the factory. You'd have to be careless to leave obvious damage.

Reactions: captainlovesac
Jan 27, 2011
I don't remember how accessible the ear speaker is from the inside. However, the motorola logo on the OUTSIDE of the speaker should simply snap off if you want to clean that area out.

Can it be pried off from the front? or does it come off from the back after the phone is split? I've been searching around and can't find any explanation about it's removal.

No stickers or seals were harmed during the teardown.

I agree with JJT211. Don't worry about your warranty, the worry is if you somehow mangle the water-damage stickers.

As you have seen, the inside of the phone is filled with fingerprints & handwriting from the factory. You'd have to be careless to leave obvious damage.

Great info, Thank you so much.

creondai

Jun 5, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Did you buy your phone second hand? Then your warranty is void anyway.

I honestly believe that the whole voided warranty thing is more a scare tactic. Unless you have done something to your phone that directly breaks it and then you go to Motorola or Verizon and demand they replace your phone cuz you screwed it up, then I wouldnt really worry about it. With the amount of phones Verizon nd Motorola deal with on a daily basis, I doubt they would sink the man-hours into tearing down each individual phone checking warranty stickers (and thats if they even have them) to bust a few people here and there to save money on replacing the phone. The money spent on the man-hours checking every single phone would far outweigh the money saved by not awarding customers their warranty.

Also keep in mind, that warranty and insurance are 2 separate coverages anyway. Warranty is free when you buy your phone and that is through Motorola. Insurance is through another company (Asurian) and you pay for that coverage. If something happens to your phone, dont volunteer the information that you did a teardown and you should be fine.

Im not saying it isnt possible to void your warranty, just that its unlikely they would find out unless it was something really obvious.

It still with the warranty. but for now, i'm gonna keep it as it is, looking for a case built in Battery.
But first, i need to get the itens for making it transformation

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
Can it be pried off from the front? or does it come off from the back after the phone is split? I've been searching around and can't find any explanation about it's removal.
I think i was mistaken, it appears it only comes off from the back (judging by it having tabs behind the screen). http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-motorola-droid-razr-hd-xt926-motorola-logo.html

Where can one buy the ev40? I cant find anywhere?
They just showed up for sale on this website. http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-motorola-droid-razr-hd-xt926-battery-thick-3200-mah.html

p.s. i'm not affiliated with etrade supply although i did buy an EV30 from them and it worked out fine.

creondai

Jun 5, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
I think i was mistaken, it appears it only comes off from the back (judging by it having tabs behind the screen). http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-motorola-droid-razr-hd-xt926-motorola-logo.html

They just showed up for sale on this website. http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-motorola-droid-razr-hd-xt926-battery-thick-3200-mah.html

p.s. i'm not affiliated with etrade supply although i did buy an EV30 from them and it worked out fine.

hmm, so we need just to get a deeper back housing? or is it the same?

baberswallet

Feb 28, 2011

$120 too much

Rathmon

May 1, 2013
Screen replacement

Thanks to the OP for the guide- just adding clarification as I just rebuilt one of these.

The digitizer and lcd are fused together. A silicone based adhesive adheres the assembly to the plastic bezel. A little heat and it's easy to separate the broken assembly. In the OP's pictures, he shows where the plastic is fused... but that is just for the metal shielding behind the lcd, so don't pry those off!

Reactions: creondai

GillRigged

Sep 21, 2012
Webster
Seems easy enough to me. I took mine apart just to know that I can and I found fricken cat hair inside of it. WTF :eek: Damn cats

Void_Owl

May 7, 2013
Tried this

I recently took the screen off my maxx hd and tried to put it back on. I was trying to get some crud out and inspect a bent body housing(stupid asurion), and when I re-attached the cables that connect the digitizer/screen, the touch screen no longer works. How could I have attached it wrong? How delicate of an operation is it?

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
I was not particularly kind to my cables. They shouldn't be the problem. Maybe you can pull them out, clean them with alcohol, and make sure they are re-inserted fully into their sockets.

Naunaud

Oct 29, 2012
Is this phone considered as good as a SGS2 ? I'd like to change the later for a new phone.

Thanks,

Dr.Gasmo

May 8, 2013
Awesome. Can you see what radio and/or wireless chipset is in these phones? or, at least pull some print for me so I can find out? I'm talkin xt926 specifically but I'm sure they're the same.

... I know. you just gave directions to figure it out myself. nononononono!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In case anyone feels like taking their RAZR HD apart, here are some instructions:

1. Get the following items together first:
    • Little dish, to hold screws & parts so they're not lost
    • "T-5" torx screwdriver
    • Plastic or thick wooden toothpicks, for gently prying connectors apart
    • A box to hold the screen/pcb/etc. so they won't get damaged

2. Use the torx screwdriver to remove the two screws on the bottom.
    st01.jpg

3. This little plastic trim is going to fly out of the phone, so point it at your dish on the next step so it doesn't land under your couch.
    st02.jpg

4. Hold the phone like you'd hold a newspaper, and slide the screen up. (Like it was a slider phone). It should move about 1/4"
    st03.jpg

5. The screen will now unfold from the back. It's attached with 2 ribbon cables. You remove the cables by pulling on them
    st04.jpg

6. The screen is now detached. Put it in a box on a high shelf out of your way so it's not lost or stepped on.
    st05.jpg

7. There are 10 black screws to remove. Use your T-5 Torx screwdriver. Put all of them into your dish of safekeeping.
    st06.jpg

8. The metal camera clip (item 2) is now loose. Put it in your dish.
    9. Remove the clear plastic over the speaker connector (item 1). It is held on with medium adhesive, you can use a thin blade to pry it away from the plastic. Put it in your dish.
    10. Pry the button ribbon cable (item 3) off the PCB, it is held with a light adhesive. Then pull it out of the connector in the direction of the arrow (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    st08.jpg

11. Here is the button ribbon cable detached
    st10.jpg

12. The speaker cable plug is held in a "U" shaped channel. You detach it by pulling it towards you (away from the back of the phone). (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    13. (optional) You can remove the camera by pulling the ribbon cable up. Not recommended- they are kind of annoying to re-attach.
    st09.jpg

13. Remove the plastic cover over the battery ribbon cable. It is held on with light adhesive.
    14. Push/pull the battery cable down to detach it. (HINT: see maxx pictures) Remember to use plastic/wood to do this- when shorted, these batteries can literally melt metal instantly.
    st11.jpg

15. With the 2 ribbon cables + speaker cable disconnected, you can now remove the PCB
    st12.jpg

16. The battery is attached with double-sided tape. You have to pry it out by pulling on the sides. There are 2 "battery removal" stickers on the battery which suggest that is where you should pry. However, I found that I could most easily pull up the upper-left corner, which would let me put my fingers underneath to pull it off. Regardless of how you go about it, be gentle, as the battery is somewhat malleable (like clay) so you want to bend it as little as possible
    st13.jpg

17. The locations of the double-sided tape- a little on top, and a bigger one on the bottom
    st14.jpg

18. The speaker is held in place with a light adhesive.
    st15.jpg

Update:

The screen appears to be plastic-welded into its bezel in several spots. The speaker & LED are removable, but the screen is not:
    st16.jpg st17.jpg

Update:

Closer pictures of the back cover and chassis.
    Also a picture of the EV30 battery electronics, for those considering attaching an induction charger. The arrows are:
    Red: Where the battery leads are soldered. Clearly we can't attach charger there because it would bypass the safety electronics
    Yellow: Snugly plugs into a socket on the PCB- no place to attach charging
    Green: Where the plug is attached to electronics. Your best option.
    st18.jpg st19.jpg st23.jpg
    Convert RAZR HD -> RAZR HD MAXX

Are you interested in frankensteining your RAZR HD to have the MAXX battery? YES, it can be done! You don't even have to remove the battery or speaker.

Once you have remove the PCBs from both phones, the back panels are an identical layout.

ss01.jpg

The MAXX back is slightly taller
    ss02.jpgss03.jpg
    Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Are you nervous about taking apart your Razr HD MAXX? No worries, it's exactly the same as the regular version. Let's go to it!

Remove screws and slide up
    sm01.jpg sm02.jpg

Unfold the screen and detach
    sm03.jpg sm04.jpg sm05.jpg

Close-ups of the PCB
    sm06.jpg sm07.jpg

Prying up the speaker connector
    sm08.jpg

Prying up the button cable
    sm09.jpg

Pushing down the battery connector. Once it's pushed down this far, you can pry it up from underneath (where the arrow points).
    sm10.jpg

PCB removed, and close-ups of the battery sitting in the battery tray
    sm11.jpg sm12.jpg

The MAXX battery: model EV40 ... 3300mAh!
    sm13.jpg
    Grant2, did u so that little tutorial yourself?
    Yes the pictures + text are all mine. Have the higher-resolution pix but i downsized them all to 640x640 to fit on the forums.

Thanks for the compliments!
    Its 2460/2530 mAh. I wonder what does that mean.. does it mean its in between this?
    "2460/2530 mAh (min/typ)" ... i take that to mean:

2460 mAh = minimum (guaranteed by the manufacturing process and/or quality assurance testing)
    2530 mAh = typical (most batteries will have this amount)

What's interesting is the "9.3/10Wh (min/typ)", which has double the tolerance (7%) as the mAh (2.8%)

2460 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.3Wh
    2530 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.6Wh

So I suspect that the package, for whatever reason, overstates the "typical" Wh slightly.