Minecraft PE

Search This thread

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
Currently Minecraft PE does not support the SHIELD controls, so do not buy it as of right now.

Rant on Mojang
What really bugs me is when i tried to suggest to the Developers to add support I was told to "go elsewhere" or that "we don't accept suggestions"
I know I will never buy a game developed by Mojang again.

Wow, I knew it didn't work (I already own Minecraft PE) but I'm shocked they're so rude about it...

Reactions: glitchhawk
D

Deleted member 5103593

Currently Minecraft PE does not support the SHIELD controls, so do not buy it as of right now.

Rant on Mojang
What really bugs me is when i tried to suggest to the Developers to add support I was told to "go elsewhere" or that "we don't accept suggestions"

How unbelievably rude. The one game on the market that I would pay $6.99 for today and they go about treating one of their potential customers/new markets with crassness. :(

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012

Rant on Mojang

where did you ask this? Because I have never heard of mojang responding in that way, only the minecraft forums who are not representatives of mojang.

Minecraft PE supports the XPeria play controls and the touch controls only. No idea why its only the xperia which gets hardware control. There are apps for rooted devices to map hardware controls to touch, perhaps one of those may work with the shield and minecraft. There might even be some way of mapping shield buttons to the xperia buttons and fooling minecraft into using them, but that is something I am more doubtful of.

biothundernxt

Aug 11, 2013
where did you ask this? Because I have never heard of mojang responding in that way, only the minecraft forums who are not representatives of mojang.

Minecraft PE supports the XPeria play controls and the touch controls only. No idea why its only the xperia which gets hardware control. There are apps for rooted devices to map hardware controls to touch, perhaps one of those may work with the shield and minecraft. There might even be some way of mapping shield buttons to the xperia buttons and fooling minecraft into using them, but that is something I am more doubtful of.

Actually, yes to both of those. There is an app that I have confirmed works for the shield in such a way

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locnet.gamekeyboard&hl=en

It allows physical control to touchscreen emulation, or xperia play emulation, and various other forms of emulation.

THIS APP REQUIRES ROOT

If you need root, visit this link: (note: currently rooting on the nvidia shield requires unlocking the bootloader, and that voids your warranty.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2400029

I have tested this app to be working on final fantasy dimensions with the physical control to touch screen emulation, and it works great. The right stick drifts a bit though, and i believe that is a side effect of the right stick acting as a virtual mouse sometimes but I could be wrong.

Anyway. Hope this helps.

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
Actually, yes to both of those. There is an app that I have confirmed works for the shield in such a way

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locnet.gamekeyboard&hl=en

It allows physical control to touchscreen emulation, or xperia play emulation, and various other forms of emulation.

THIS APP REQUIRES ROOT

If you need root, visit this link: (note: currently rooting on the nvidia shield requires unlocking the bootloader, and that voids your warranty.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2400029

I have tested this app to be working on final fantasy dimensions with the physical control to touch screen emulation, and it works great. The right stick drifts a bit though, and i believe that is a side effect of the right stick acting as a virtual mouse sometimes but I could be wrong.

Anyway. Hope this helps.

This is why I normally avoid paid apps/games on play store like the plague...App A says "hardware controls supported" so person buys app a, and runs it to find out that, he needs to spend even more money on app b to use the hardware controls in app a.

added
PLus the fact that Minecraft PE is very misleading about cross platform play, and the devs have only been dicks to me about the problems.

biothundernxt

Aug 11, 2013
This is why I normally avoid paid apps/games on play store like the plague...App A says "hardware controls supported" so person buys app a, and runs it to find out that, he needs to spend even more money on app b to use the hardware controls in app a.

added
PLus the fact that Minecraft PE is very misleading about cross platform play, and the devs have only been dicks to me about the problems.

: / you know its that kind of attitude that I relieve is responsible for the lack of decent games on android. There are a few but most of them cost money. And if a game is good, I willing to put down few bucks. Those free games are never really free anyway. They are pay to win.

Sorry for the rant, but I felt that I needed to voice my opinion :p.
And in my experience, devs are pretty good at integrating features that people ask for, particularly controlled support.
And what do you mean about mojang being misleading about mine craft pocket edition being cross platform?... That's the first I've heard of that.:confused:

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
: / you know its that kind of attitude that I relieve is responsible for the lack of decent games on android. There are a few but most of them cost money. And if a game is good, I willing to put down few bucks. Those free games are never really free anyway. They are pay to win.

Sorry for the rant, but I felt that I needed to voice my opinion :p.
And in my experience, devs are pretty good at integrating features that people ask for, particularly controlled support.
And what do you mean about mojang being misleading about mine craft pocket edition being cross platform?... That's the first I've heard of that.:confused:

I would not mind paying for a game if the developer stood by their game and actually helped the people who buy it with problems.
My comment about free games is that if you get a free game you need to expect no support or bad support, but if you pay for a game you should get decent support. I have never once gotten decent support for paid games on Google play, I have always gotten better support from free games.

And for cross-platform play setup a minecraft server on your desktop and connect to that from minecraft pe on your android device.

about the pay to win games there are also plenty of free games that are not pay to win.

biothundernxt

Aug 11, 2013
I would not mind paying for a game if the developer stood by their game and actually helped the people who buy it with problems.
My comment about free games is that if you get a free game you need to expect no support or bad support, but if you pay for a game you should get decent support. I have never once gotten decent support for paid games on Google play, I have always gotten better support from free games.

And for cross-platform play setup a minecraft server on your desktop and connect to that from minecraft pe on your android device.

about the pay to win games there are also plenty of free games that are not pay to win.

I believe you are mistaken. You can, in no way shape or form, play cross platform from minecraft pocket edition to pc, you can play cross platform between android and ipod/ipad. but that's about it. It wouldn't work anyway, pocket edition is missing blocks from the pc version, and pocket edition has blocks that the pc version does not have (ex: nether reactors)

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
I believe you are mistaken. You can, in no way shape or form, play cross platform from minecraft pocket edition to pc, you can play cross platform between android and ipod/ipad. but that's about it. It wouldn't work anyway, pocket edition is missing blocks from the pc version, and pocket edition has blocks that the pc version does not have (ex: nether reactors)

My main reason for posting is that the game controls are not supported.
My frustration is that the support staff are being very very rude to me for trying to get the controls supported.
I can live with out cross-platform play, but they will not even accept it as a suggestion.
If i knew I would have to spend even more money to use the controls I would not have payed for minecraft pe in the first place. there were other game i could have spent the same 7$ on that would have actually worked correctly.

biothundernxt

Aug 11, 2013
My main reason for posting is that the game controls are not supported.
My frustration is that the support staff are being very very rude to me for trying to get the controls supported.
I can live with out cross-platform play, but they will not even accept it as a suggestion.
If i knew I would have to spend even more money to use the controls I would not have payed for minecraft pe in the first place. there were other game i could have spent the same 7$ on that would have actually worked correctly.

Dude, I think you were asking in the wrong place. And you have to think about it this way:
The shield just came out so of course alot of things wont support the controller.
Im sure you weren't the first person to ask for shield support, so they are likely getting annoyed at people asking all the time.
They dont take suggestions because if they did, they would have to consider thousands of requests a day. Minecraft is way more popular than any of the other android games.

Where were you talking to them?

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
Dude, I think you were asking in the wrong place. And you have to think about it this way:
The shield just came out so of course alot of things wont support the controller.
Im sure you weren't the first person to ask for shield support, so they are likely getting annoyed at people asking all the time.
They dont take suggestions because if they did, they would have to consider thousands of requests a day. Minecraft is way more popular than any of the other android games.

Where were you talking to them?
E-Mailing their support team.

If they just been polite about the controls not working, and not been rude about it. If they also put in writing on the play store page that they do not accept suggestions, then there would be less problems there.

biothundernxt

Aug 11, 2013
E-Mailing their support team.

If they just been polite about the controls not working, and not been rude about it. If they also put in writing on the play store page that they do not accept suggestions, then there would be less problems there.

Hmm...
That is odd.
Usually they are pretty nice to people.
Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience.
I'm sure that in one way or another minecraft pocket edition will eventually get shield support.

In the mean time, It is likely that another app like the one i posted will become available for free.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Minecraft pocket edition has very little in common with minecraft on PC at the end of the day.

Pocket edition primarily consists of a C library. They then use a wrapper to expose the libraries features on android, iOS and raspbian independently. The raspbian version has even further modifications.
Minecraft on PC is java.

Ultimately pocket edition is just a glorified minecraft clone from the same developers. Shares no similarities code wise. Highly unlikely that it could ever link between the original java version, the PE version or the xbox version. They never claim anywhere that it can do that either.

They do claim that the hardware controls are for Xperia Play, they make no claim that it is compatible with any other gamepad.
The Shield controls and of course external gamepads are exposed to android as Human Interface Devices and you can use the standard android library to interface with them. The Xperia Play controls are not exposed as an HID for some reason, some of the regular buttons can be treated as an HID (with really weird mappings actually, think circle is mapped to Alt Key plus the android back button or something bizarre) but the thumb"sticks" cant and sony give an actual android lib which covers the regular buttons too, most developers just use that, including mojang for some reason.

Honestly, I think they need to get their fingers out of their asses and add HID input with proper assignments and joystick support. There are quite a few android devices out there with hardware keyboards etc,. Hell, sisters netbook came dual booted with android but has no touchscreen, that would be even more unplayable than the Shield for minecraft without 3rd party apps (and no, cant just switch over to windows and play MC there, without the optifine mod it gets 2 fps, with it gets 3, unplayable, increase java priority and the system cant keep up and you get input lag anyway, all drivers are updated)

D

Deleted member 5103593

Minecraft pocket edition has very little in common with minecraft on PC at the end of the day.

Pocket edition primarily consists of a C library. They then use a wrapper to expose the libraries features on android, iOS and raspbian independently. The raspbian version has even further modifications.
Minecraft on PC is java.

Ultimately pocket edition is just a glorified minecraft clone from the same developers. Shares no similarities code wise. Highly unlikely that it could ever link between the original java version, the PE version or the xbox version. They never claim anywhere that it can do that either.

They do claim that the hardware controls are for Xperia Play, they make no claim that it is compatible with any other gamepad.
The Shield controls and of course external gamepads are exposed to android as Human Interface Devices and you can use the standard android library to interface with them. The Xperia Play controls are not exposed as an HID for some reason, some of the regular buttons can be treated as an HID (with really weird mappings actually, think circle is mapped to Alt Key plus the android back button or something bizarre) but the thumb"sticks" cant and sony give an actual android lib which covers the regular buttons too, most developers just use that, including mojang for some reason.

Honestly, I think they need to get their fingers out of their asses and add HID input with proper assignments and joystick support. There are quite a few android devices out there with hardware keyboards etc,. Hell, sisters netbook came dual booted with android but has no touchscreen, that would be even more unplayable than the Shield for minecraft without 3rd party apps (and no, cant just switch over to windows and play MC there, without the optifine mod it gets 2 fps, with it gets 3, unplayable, increase java priority and the system cant keep up and you get input lag anyway, all drivers are updated)

In addition, C is much more ideal for games in general over Java. On a mobile device you need C so the OS can manage the memory better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Failrunner

Aug 19, 2012
I emailed mohjang about this and he emailed a pic of him taking a piss on the shield lifting two birds at the camera. He's awesome! ^_^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I finally have a believable answer from them.
    Unfortunately there are no plans to make Minecraft compatible with the Shield controls for the time being,

Rant on Mojang

Wow, I knew it didn't work (I already own Minecraft PE) but I'm shocked they're so rude about it...
    I emailed mohjang about this and he emailed a pic of him taking a piss on the shield lifting two birds at the camera. He's awesome! ^_^

If that is true how come you have not sold the photo to the press....If you had it would be major news....I call TROLL BS.