[Q] unrooting att s4 saferoot?

Search This thread

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
So I'm posting my question here because the retarded admins here at xda think I shouldn't post a question to the original poster at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758. Anyway I'm very frustrated want to update to kitkat but have to unroot first. In the link above the second post gives a limited description on how to unroot. I would like full explanation. As per how do I get to said add or emulator. If this is done on a pc how am I supposed to get it on my phone. Thanks peeps.

p.s. screw you admins your rules for new people are unreasonable and ultimately costing you more storage space on your site and muddying up the waters of the forums because this question should rightfully be asked at the link above and this thread would not have to exist, with that the answers would be in one place rather than two. Dee da dee.

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
Search the Google play store. The instructions there are all done from the phone. I've unrooted that way many times. Following those exact instructions. Search "Terminal Emulator" in play store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: duggerdude

azuziel

Nov 26, 2013
So I'm posting my question here because the retarded admins here at xda think I shouldn't post a question to the original poster at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758. Anyway I'm very frustrated want to update to kitkat but have to unroot first. In the link above the second post gives a limited description on how to unroot. I would like full explanation. As per how do I get to said add or emulator. If this is done on a pc how am I supposed to get it on my phone. Thanks peeps.

p.s. screw you admins your rules for new people are unreasonable and ultimately costing you more storage space on your site and muddying up the waters of the forums because this question should rightfully be asked at the link above and this thread would not have to exist, with that the answers would be in one place rather than two. Dee da dee.

Fastest and easiest way is to use Odin and flash back to official stock. Check Samsung-updates.com for your particular firmwares.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013

Wow you start asking for help by insulting XDA? You may want to rethink that one. I think for someone like you who lacks the experience and knowledge & won't take the time to read what has already been discussed & posted on this site, truly has just one option. Take your phone to the nearest Best Buy Samsung Experience Center. Let them flash you back to stock for free. You won't have to read a thing, or do anything. It's a perfect solution for you. Good luck. And please don't update your progress here unless you apologize to XDA first.

Reactions: CAG-man

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
Wow you start asking for help by insulting XDA? You may want to rethink that one. I think for someone like you who lacks the experience and knowledge & won't take the time to read what has already been discussed & posted on this site, truly has just one option. Take your phone to the nearest Best Buy Samsung Experience Center. Let them flash you back to stock for free. You won't have to read a thing, or do anything. It's a perfect solution for you. Good luck. And please don't update your progress here unless you apologize to XDA first.

I will apologize for being so crude but not for my point. I'm in fact looking for a specific answer on how to unroot this particular way and can't post my question in the correct forum. So yes I did do my research, but being blocked from asking the correct person about the correct answer simply because I'm a newer member is ridiculous and is in point of fact a watering down of the forums and there for more hurtful to xda then helpful. So I will apologize for this when they change the rule.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I will apologize for being so crude but not for my point. I'm in fact looking for a specific answer on how to unroot this particular way and can't post my question in the correct forum. So yes I did do my research, but being blocked from asking the correct person about the correct answer simply because I'm a newer member is ridiculous and is in point of fact a watering down of the forums and there for more hurtful to xda then helpful. So I will apologize for this when they change the rule.

Nevermind

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
appears to be errors

Search the Google play store. The instructions there are all done from the phone. I've unrooted that way many times. Following those exact instructions. Search "Terminal Emulator" in play store.

[/QUOTE=CAG-man;50747720]
OK CAG-man since you know what I'm getting at here I'm Askin you. I downloaded android terminal emulator and entered information from the thread, removing the * from the two lines then this is what I got.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-02-16-39-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-16-39-16.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-16-38-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-16-38-22.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-16-38-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-16-38-45.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 70

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
OK CAG-man since you know what I'm getting at here I'm Askin you. I downloaded android terminal emulator and entered information from the thread, removing the * from the two lines then this is what I got.

Don't delete the * enter everything exactly as displayed. Also in the one line it is a lower case L. Not an upper i. I had to copy and paste that line to change fonts to figure that out. THe line im talking about is: find /system/xbin -type l | xargs rm

Sent from my GT-P5210 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Reactions: duggerdude

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
ok finally worked.

So the issue was, first as CAG-man said, don't delete *s when copy and pasting but also do delete the first $ thats before su. the $ is already present in the emulator at start. So if anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same frustration as I have had do the following:

go to google play store search and download Android Terminal Emulator
then copy and paste the command below. if you choose to enter the command manually note that on line 5 after xbin -type is a lower case L not a capital i.

su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# rm -f /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh*
# rm -f /system/xbin/selinuxoff*
# find /system/xbin -type l | xargs rm
# rm /system/xbin/busybox
# mount -o remount,ro /system
# exit
$ exit

much thanks to CAG-man for all the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: CAG-man

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
ok finally worked.

So the issue was, first as CAG-man said, don't delete *s when copy and pasting but also do delete the first $ thats before su.

I did not even catch that myself. Now I see it in the screenshots. Yes, in Unix and Unix type systems such as Linux, which android sits on top of, the user does not need to enter the $ or #. $ is the prompt that the system is ready for standard user input. # is the prompt that the system is ready for master user "root" input.

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
screwed

Ok so unroot worked but didn't. Because the custom flag is still flown it is not allowing the ota kitkat update. Don't know what to do next here will flashing stock trip knox?

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
Strange. I've never seen that before with this unroot method. Strangely enough my 4.3 update came even though I was flagged custom. Usually it dissapears within a few minutes or several reboots. Of the unroot. If it doesn't dissapear, the only thing I could think of is to re root with that saferoot method in the first post of that thread then do the unroot again to make sure it does it completely. I'm guessing soemthing didn't go in the few times you might have tried. The SU binary is all that is really needed for the root itself. SO if that is not there then yes you are unrooted, but if something else lingers like busybox it would still trigger the custom flag. If this doesn't work. I would try odin. I have never used ODIN for the I337 before so I can't give you any pointers there.

I did have my 4.3 rooted with saferoot and unrooted to get the kit kat update if that gives you hope. :)

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
Strange. I've never seen that before with this unroot method. Strangely enough my 4.3 update came even though I was flagged custom. Usually it dissapears within a few minutes or several reboots. Of the unroot. If it doesn't dissapear, the only thing I could think of is to re root with that saferoot method in the first post of that thread then do the unroot again to make sure it does it completely. I'm guessing soemthing didn't go in the few times you might have tried. The SU binary is all that is really needed for the root itself. SO if that is not there then yes you are unrooted, but if something else lingers like busybox it would still trigger the custom flag. If this doesn't work. I would try odin. I have never used ODIN for the I337 before so I can't give you any pointers there.

I did have my 4.3 rooted with saferoot and unrooted to get the kit kat update if that gives you hope. :)

Well tomorrow I'll give it a shot I will video it and post the video if it doesn't work the second time around and maybe we can pinpoint where the problem is.

duggerdude

Sep 26, 2012
Did you get it to unroot successfully?

I haven't had time been busy but been talking with the saferoot creator and he says best bet flash to stock. So I'm just gonna do that he said the re root and re unroot might work and might take a few times but the flash is gonna be quick and painless and no knox trip no troubles. He also updated the saferoot unroot section with our more enlightening information.

Daijoki

Apr 21, 2014
I've tried this...

I haven't had time been busy but been talking with the saferoot creator and he says best bet flash to stock. So I'm just gonna do that he said the re root and re unroot might work and might take a few times but the flash is gonna be quick and painless and no knox trip no troubles. He also updated the saferoot unroot section with our more enlightening information.

...numerous times but still get the ODIN download screen when I re-boot. (Samsung S4 ATT, 4.3)

Any questions and/or advise welcome! I've all but resigned myself to having 4.3 for the life of this phone... :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Don't delete the * enter everything exactly as displayed. Also in the one line it is a lower case L. Not an upper i. I had to copy and paste that line to change fonts to figure that out. THe line im talking about is: find /system/xbin -type l | xargs rm

ok finally worked.

So the issue was, first as CAG-man said, don't delete *s when copy and pasting but also do delete the first $ thats before su. the $ is already present in the emulator at start. So if anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same frustration as I have had do the following:

go to google play store search and download Android Terminal Emulator
    then copy and paste the command below. if you choose to enter the command manually note that on line 5 after xbin -type is a lower case L not a capital i.

su
    # mount -o remount,rw /system
    # rm -f /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh*
    # rm -f /system/xbin/selinuxoff*
    # find /system/xbin -type l | xargs rm
    # rm /system/xbin/busybox
    # mount -o remount,ro /system
    # exit
    $ exit

much thanks to CAG-man for all the help!