HTC Fetch

Search This thread

Faxman

Oct 3, 2007
Florida
www.Line1.com
ive got one. its a nifty little gadget.

marctronixx, I think I recognize you from a few previous phone forums. :good:

This device sounds like it wold be an ideal 'Trusted Device' along the lines of the Moto-X implementation where the phone lowers its security barriers when paired with a specific Bluetooth device. I've even suggested as much to HTC.

I'm wondering... Have you tried it with any of the myriad of tasker-like apps out there to try to replicate the feature?

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
hey!

ive only used it as directed, but if you pose a scenario i can experiment with, perhaps i can help you answer your question?

Faxman

Oct 3, 2007
Florida
www.Line1.com
@marctronixx

Big apologies for long delay.

Here is a scenario... There is an app called Pebble Locker that although designed for a Pebble watch, allows any BT device to act as a trusted connection and automatically disables PIN lock. If no Pebble or other trusted device is conected, PIN lock returns. (Unfortunately it doesn't work with pattern lock or fingerprint scan). The idea is that if you have a separate device near the phone, it lowers the barrier. If you leave the device, the barrier rises again. I'm hoping the Fetch would work for that as it would almost always be in my pocket or nearby.

Of course, it would be better if it was something built in to HTC devices. Some time ago I stumbled across their SDK and it seems to be pretty powerful but I'm not a programmer so...

-Separate note: I've seen some discussions that the KitKat update on the HTC One's breaks Fetch. Not too many confirmations, but no denials either.

HelloBoy26

Aug 8, 2007
Hello! I have 2 Fetchs. One for the One Max and One for the One m7. My Fetch works great with One m7 on Kitkat.
Cannot find the discussions... I´m curious ;)

Faxman

Oct 3, 2007
Florida
www.Line1.com
Hello! I have 2 Fetchs. One for the One Max and One for the One m7. My Fetch works great with One m7 on Kitkat.
Cannot find the discussions... I´m curious ;)

Glad to hear it. I found a couple of places where two or three people reported problems.

http://androidandme.com/2014/02/news/sprint-htc-one-android-4-4-2-update-available-for-manual-pull/
http://htcsource.com/2014/02/sprint-releases-htc-one-android-4-4-2-update/

Just search 'fetch' within the threads. I found them today by Googling 'HTC Fetch KitKat not working'

Reactions: HelloBoy26

Faxman

Oct 3, 2007
Florida
www.Line1.com
I got my Fetch from BestBuy (see above) and it works as advertised. Only 75% battery charge out of the box.

It indeed showed up as a Bluetooth device in Pebble Locker (see farther above) so I am able to set the phone to remain unlocked while in range of the Fetch and PIN lock if not.

Now, for all you actual developers out there, here's a link to the SDK for the Fetch. Let the fun begin. :D

Faxman

Oct 3, 2007
Florida
www.Line1.com
I installed the Sprint OTA KitKat update yesterday and the fetch continues to work... sort of. I've found that if I turn the fetch off I have to go in and find it again and pair again.

I also noticed and downloaded the HTC Fetch app in the app store.

It has a nicer interface and apparently a couple of additional features (including the ability to connect to other BT 4 devices)

It apparently connects differently as you can run it without it being paired in regular BT settings and it doesn't retain the annoying Fetch icon in the notification area. BUT, since it no longer shows as a BT device, the Pebble Unlocker app that I use to simulate 'trusted device' doesn't see it and doesn't keep the phone unlocked.

I'm hoping there will be some interest in the developer community because I think there are some enhancements that can and should be made to either or both of the apps.

For one, I'd like to be able to disable change the tone or somehow further delay the alarms that go off when out of range. I do that far too often. However, when that feature is disabled, it also disconnects the BT connection and as above defeats the trusted device functionality mentioned above.

I mostly want to use it so my phone is secure if I'm not nearby and occasionally use the separation alarm feature if I am in a situation where one or the other might be left behind.

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
i have not noticed any issues with fetch after the sprint 4.x update. im stock non rooted.

thanks for the heads up on a fetch app. ill go smoke it over...

Top Liked Posts