[Q] charging drains my battery

Search This thread

ideohazard

Dec 1, 2010
I've been having a charging issue for a month or so, I'm not sure what to think about it.

Let me explain quickly, that I don't like to fill my pockets with micro usb cables or AC chargers whenever I go out. As such, I usually just acquire a few extra chargers or usb cables and just leave them where I am most likely to need them. I'm sure this is common.

Charger 1 : Samsung AC charger, came with phone. Lives by my bed.
Charger 2 : Blackberry AC charger, acquired from work. Lives in kitchen.
USB 1 : $1 cable from Amazon. Lives in the car, plugged into 12vDC lighter to USB adapter.
USB 2 : $1 cable from Amazon. Lives on my desk at home. Plugged into PC.
USB 3: Blackberry cable. Found at work. Lives at office.

On to the problem.
Somehow, Charger 1, USB 1, USB 2 seem to drain my phone. If I plug in to charge overnight and power is at 45%, when I wake up, I'm at 12% or some other number. Battery App indicates that it has been "charging" I could unplug and replug the charger a few times and then monitor the charge level, if it drops, I unplug and replug again, reboot phone perhaps, it may or may not fix the problem. Problem has gotten worse and these no longer seem to charge phone.
Charger 2 seems to have worked more consistently, but not always. Seems to have gotten worse.
USB 3 is the only cable that consistently charges without problem. It is a blackberry branded cable, much lower gauge wires (read: thicker) than the cheap $1 cables from Amazon or the Samsung OEM charger.

I've tried charging with phone off, does not seem to make a difference.

I'm running Doc Masters v6, problem was also present in v5. Since issue is same with power off, I don't believe this is a ROM issue and have not tried Odin to stock.

Is this sign of the USB port going out? Anyone tried to replace/repair microUSB or have similar experience?

FaultException

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2012
About the part about replacing a microUSB port, I had to do this because my connection was getting flaky, then I messed it up altogether. I sent my phone to MobileTechVideos and they sent it back to me with the port replaced.

Reactions: ideohazard

ideohazard

Dec 1, 2010
I may try sending it to repair. Sounds like a pretty reasonable price and quick turnaround. Dunno if I can take going back to my G1 for a week while I wait though.

Provided I don't misplace the only USB cable that will charge my phone, I should be ok for a while.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About the part about replacing a microUSB port, I had to do this because my connection was getting flaky, then I messed it up altogether. I sent my phone to MobileTechVideos and they sent it back to me with the port replaced.