Thats all Folks!

Search This thread

giveen

Jul 6, 2010
Caldwell, ID
And that is all folks! I hearby declare the Dell Streak 7 dead. Unable to boot KitKat for Dell Streak 7.

Due to our older kernel, GCC-4.7 results in a no boot after compile. I've switched to 4.6 but then KitKat fails to compile.

Montezuma10

May 27, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
And that is all folks! I hearby declare the Dell Streak 7 dead. Unable to boot KitKat for Dell Streak 7.

Due to our older kernel, GCC-4.7 results in a no boot after compile. I've switched to 4.6 but then KitKat fails to compile.

Hi Giveen,

very sorry to hear that, but to be honest I expected this somehow. It doesn't look like DerArtem will ever compile a newer kernel for us. That's what I read from your posts over the last months, and that's the part that made me expecting this. It's a real pity, because the Streak 7 itself isn't a bad piece of hardware, even today, I think. But it never was really suppported by Dell as it would have deserved it. And with Kitkat it might have been revived once again, as KK is optimized for low ram devices. (I also own a Galaxy S1 phone, where the wizards/devs of XDA refuse to let it die since years and this old phone becomes better and better with every new Android version. KK is in alpha status and is already doing quite well on this phone...). As you see, I love to see getting the best out of my old devices ;)

Saying all that, the higher I appreciate all the time and work (blood, sweat and tears) you and the other few devs and helpers here invested over the last years for our DS 7.

I personally moved on to a Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB. It's a good tablet and rigth now a quite good bang for the buck, as it's successor is on the market. My N7 now has more RAM, faster CPU, faster GPU, better screen, better battery lifetime, higher resolution etc. as the old DS 7. But it has also it's drawbacks, even compared with my old DS 7 (don't laugh!). e.g.I miss the SD-Slot, the 5 MP camera on the back, the stereo speakers. The DS 7 is heavier, ok, but on the other side it feels also a little more valuable than the N7 when I hold it in my hands. I know I could have bought some another device with all my missed whistles and bells. But money is an argument for me and the chance to get future developments and custom roms is another. So the N7 was quite a good compromise all in all. But as long as my DS 7 still works ok, I will continue using it too. It's still too good to throw it away, and nobody will buy it on ebay anyway. Maybe I'll give it someday to my little nephew as a gaming console.

Giveen, thank you so much for the past efforts you made! Without you the DS 7 would have been died already long ago.
One last question: Will you still continue your work on the CM 10.1 ROM or will you give up the DS 7 development completely?

Regards,
Michael

giveen

Jul 6, 2010
Caldwell, ID
Personally I am looking at a Dell Venue 7 or 8.

I may look at CM10.1 again and see if I can work out the kinks but I am really focused on my school and my security training.

giveen

Jul 6, 2010
Caldwell, ID
Price and it is using an Atom chip which is common with quite a few tablets so I would have something to work with.

BTW lover

Apr 27, 2010
Poor Streak will never feel the joy of a fully working os, as stock hc is as buggy as an anthill. Thx for the patience anyway, giveen and all other devs working on our poor man's tablet

javlada

Nov 21, 2009
In the end it seems that to buy this tablet was a very bad decision. The original HC ROM is terrible and the CM versions never worked completely (Many thanks to giveen and others for making the tablet work at least partially).

I'm thinking about trying the old official 2.x firmware. Does it work reliably? Does anybody have any experience with it?

biert87

Jul 7, 2013
Düsseldorf
In the end it seems that to buy this tablet was a very bad decision. The original HC ROM is terrible and the CM versions never worked completely (Many thanks to giveen and others for making the tablet work at least partially).

I'm thinking about trying the old official 2.x firmware. Does it work reliably? Does anybody have any experience with it?

I tried some 2.x recently and I thought it was also unusable since a lot of apps are not supported.

Too bad that everybody stopped caring for that little bugger. Thanks to giveeen and all the others that were working on a good rom, right now 4.2.2 from giveeen seems to work best on my Streak..

wolfgangt

Oct 1, 2013
4.2.2 by giveen

I tried some 2.x recently and I thought it was also unusable since a lot of apps are not supported.

Too bad that everybody stopped caring for that little bugger. Thanks to giveeen and all the others that were working on a good rom, right now 4.2.2 from giveeen seems to work best on my Streak..

Hi biert87. I use the streak 7 (European / 3G) as navigation device on 3.5. Device is rooted with cwm. I guess I have already downloaded everything necessary. I am though not really sure how to install 4.2.2. There are just too many posts on this topic. The more I read the more I get confused. Can you give me a clear and short hint? Thank you in advance !

biert87

Jul 7, 2013
Düsseldorf
Hi biert87. I use the streak 7 (European / 3G) as navigation device on 3.5. Device is rooted with cwm. I guess I have already downloaded everything necessary. I am though not really sure how to install 4.2.2. There are just too many posts on this topic. The more I read the more I get confused. Can you give me a clear and short hint? Thank you in advance !

Hi Wolfgangt,
inside giveeens latest 4.2.2 package there is a file called "Install Android 4.2.2.bat" - just open a command terminal in there and run it (if you are on windows).
Before running it you need to put your Streak into nvflash mode - when its turned off you need to press both vol plus and vol down and connect your usb cable. Streak will stay dark but your hardware keys will light up. This is when you can run that batch.

wolfgangt

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Wolfgangt,
inside giveeens latest 4.2.2 package there is a file called "Install Android 4.2.2.bat" - just open a command terminal in there and run it (if you are on windows).
Before running it you need to put your Streak into nvflash mode - when its turned off you need to press both vol plus and vol down and connect your usb cable. Streak will stay dark but your hardware keys will light up. This is when you can run that batch.

Thank you biert for your kind response. Seems I do not have the 4.2.2 package and I can´t find it on xda. Do you have a link ?? And is my cmw 6.... ok. for installing giveen´s package ? Thanks - Danke.

giveen

Jul 6, 2010
Caldwell, ID
Thanks, I managed to install. Some problems with the drivers. Needed several tries. A hint for other peeps who try to install: If the driver does not install on win, reset the dell and reboot the win before every new try.

Biert, have you tried this other development

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2413390

Does it make sense ?

Danke.

There is no difference. He was merely copying my work and made no significant changes, got rotation to work though the work was the same.

ccxxx

Mar 4, 2013

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi Wolfgangt,
    Thank you biert for your kind response. Seems I do not have the 4.2.2 package and I can´t find it on xda. Do you have a link ?? And is my cmw 6.... ok. for installing giveen´s package ? Thanks - Danke.

np,
    look over here - goo.im link looks up