[N2E][1.1] TouchNooter 2.1.31

Search This thread

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
    • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
    • Installs adbWireless
    • Installs Button Savior
    • Installs NookTouch Tools
    • Installs Amazon Marketplace
    • Installs su and Superuser.apk
    • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
    • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
    • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
    • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
  • System Files that get Modified:
    • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
    • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
    • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
  • Changes:
    • January 26, 2012 -
      • Tested Fix: ADW not installing - Caused by spaces in ADW's Filename in 2.1.26
      • Added: Amazon Marketplace, Opera Mini
    • January 26, 2012 -
      • Added: adbWireless, SuperManager (Root File Manager, APK Manager, other useful tools), Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Untested Fix: Market 1 Day wait
      • Updated: busybox, ButtonSavior.apk, su & SuperUser.apk
    • November 20, 2011 -
      • Removed: GoLauncher, LiveWallPaper Picker, maybe some other stuff.
      • Added: New Market, ADW with Black Minimalist Theme, NookTouchTools.
      • New: Rooting Image
    • June 24, 2011 -
      • Removed: Multitouch Permission
      • Added: Modified framework.jar
    • June 22, 2011 - Fixed: Script not running at boot.
    • June 20, 2011 - Initial Release
  • Before you begin:
    1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch
    2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
    3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
    4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
    5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
    1. Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-2-1-31.zip - Uploaded
    2. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-xx-xx-xx.img of=/dev/sdcard (where xx-xx-xx is the version number)
    3. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
    4. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
      • If you wish to use Underclocking follow these steps
        1. Download Underclock.zip from uploaded attachments
        2. Unzip it and place the data folder in /nooter/
        3. Check that the com.antutu.CpuMasterFree folder is in the /nooter/data/data folder
        4. Check that com.antutu.CpuMasterFree.apk is in /nooter/data/app
    5. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
    6. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
    7. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
    8. You should see the new TouchNooter boot screen, follow all instructions.
    9. That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.
    10. Upon boot unlock your screen.
    11. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
    12. Enable Location Services when given the option.
    13. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
    14. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
    15. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
    16. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
    17. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      • At this time Market fails and you must wait up to a day. Just check it every so often. Future updates should fix this.
    18. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
      • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

19. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
    20. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
    21. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
    • XorZone - NookTouchTools - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289894 - Sorry, been busy, credit where credits due.
    • Torimu.Joji - For the configurations for CPU Master Free that allows simple automated underclocking
    • xevious - Kick starting my brain to get this update out
    • mali100 - modified framework.jar for 1.1
    • eded333 - Repackaged Gapps, the idea that may fix 1 Day Market Issue.
    • ros87 - uRamdisk
    • nemith - helping me figure out getting it to run at boot.
    • JesusFreke - For getting root.
    • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
  • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: School

Attachments

• Underclock.zip
    414.6 KB · Views: 4,974
Last edited:

ZeAuReLiEn

Jan 28, 2004
Paris
Works great

Hi
It works great, thanks.

Beside the full GApps do you know if there's a way today to get the Market working on a firmware 1.1 with TouchNooter 1.11.11 ?

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Hi
It works great, thanks.

Beside the full GApps do you know if there's a way today to get the Market working on a firmware 1.1 with TouchNooter 1.11.11 ?

Go through all the steps manually with something like noogie. The reason TouchNooter can't do it is because to get the script to run requires the the system to boot, replacing the files while the system is active will cause the system to crash when you go to reboot it to complete the steps for Market. Because of this to install Gapps you have to use a method that doesn't require the system to be active like Noogie.

Another method which would allow us to add Gapps, is if someone completed a version of CWM for Nook Touch.

Last edited:

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
Dear Gabriel,
somehow i gained working market on my Nook with 1.1. I used the older touchnooter with subplanted framework.jar and uRamdisk (wifi one). Then i've done all steps as in guide. Market however didn't saw any applications. I removed youtube app, and it started working! Then updated market to that one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15084704&postcount=51 using adb.
"adb install -r Vending.apk"
And right now i'm cool.

I've done the root for 1.1 manually, and it was a bit of a pain, so everybody should be thanking Gabrial here for streamlining the process a bit and not having to hunt down all the elements necessary to make a rooted Nook useful. (It's not actually difficult, but nobody has centralized *all* of the info even if much of it can be found in the Knowledge Base thread, including e.g. that you need Busybox even for something as simple as the cp command.)

domi.nos-
Is the -r switch for reinstallations any different than removing the old Vending.apk and then installing the new one? I still have not got market 100%; search won't work. Is it working for you? It's not really that big a deal because I only need a few apps but all the same it'd be nice...

Reactions: afganaskerli

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
Is it necessary to revert to original Nook ROM (the backup I've made before rooting the Nook Touch)?

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
No as a see it does not search. ;/ But in my opinion it is more important to find out why did my nook (any everyone elses' as i presume) disappear from pc market website.
But as i remember in the previous 1.01 software market couldn't do true way of searching, it was only showing most used searches.

dark_hawk

May 31, 2004
This may sound dump, but I don't have a lot of knowledge with android yet.
This root is without any google apps, Can I download the google apps apks and install them on my device?

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Dark_hawk,

From what I read from Gabrial, the only way to install Gapps if when nook is booting, and there is no safe way as from now. I'm still checking, though.
My experience so far? 1.1, touchnootered with 1.11.11, backup recovered with titanium backup pro (which worked quite well, I might add), and besides market, everything else is working?
I'm looking for info on how to install Gapps, or market at least, but no luck yet. Gabrial mentioned something about using noogie, but I don't even know where to look for Gapps version that may work on Nook STR>

Reactions: jamoosh

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: madmachinist

Orz-Orz

Dec 24, 2010
chicago
How can I install Side-loaded APK?

I think, its dumb NB question... but I can not figure out, how I can install side-loaded APKs... I copied APKs to Nook but just not find a way to install them on nook... Is this something simple ? or not that simple as I think?:eek:

madmachinist

May 17, 2010
Albuquerque
WORKS WITH 1.1.0 and gapps!

(Hard method)
First, install this:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19201466&postcount=352

Then try this, it should work:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:Manual_market_enable

and if search dosn't work, this:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15084704&postcount=51

(Easy method)
Follow this guide:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156539
Read post 7, it explains how to do it easily.

The Easy method above worked perfectly with my new nook running 1.1.0.

all I would add is that I got search working in the market by toggling "allow non market apps" in Nook Tools app, then installing the vending.apk file from my sd card with ES file explorer as an application. just select yes when it asks you to replace system app.

To get ES file explorer to begin with, I scrolled thru the whole list of top free apps, which took awhile.

Apps that I was able to install and work:
ES file explorer, Facebook, Google reader, Google voice, XDA app, Opera mobile, Opera mini, Google+, Quickpic and Paint easy.

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work that made it easy for a N00b like me to root and customize my NST!

Last edited:

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
I think, its dumb NB question... but I can not figure out, how I can install side-loaded APKs... I copied APKs to Nook but just not find a way to install them on nook... Is this something simple ? or not that simple as I think?:eek:

+1 It seems ES File Explorer is not installed!

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, I followed the recipe:
- Restored
- Resetted
- Updated to 1.1.0
- Touchnootered with 1.6.24 and framework and uramdisk for 1.1.0
- Three locked boots (at least 5 minutes each)
- When tried without SD, got back to regular nook!!!!
I did register, though, after reset. Would that make a difference???
Gotta try.

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
I've tried to install ESFile Explorer through browser but with no results. Besides, browser crashes when, for instance, I try to write something on google.

madmachinist

May 17, 2010
Albuquerque
One way to side-load apk's

The way I did it was to copy apk's to my SD card, then download a file explorer/manager app from the market (my personal favorite is ES file explorer), which allows you to view the contents of your SD card, and select apk's to install.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Well, I followed the recipe:
- Restored
- Resetted
- Updated to 1.1.0
- Touchnootered with 1.6.24 and framework and uramdisk for 1.1.0
- Three locked boots (at least 5 minutes each)
- When tried without SD, got back to regular nook!!!!
I did register, though, after reset. Would that make a difference???
Gotta try.

It sounds like you did it the exact same way I did. Just to make sure did you delete the old Framework and uramdisk files, then copy/rename their replacements to match the original files? i.e. framework.jar and uRamdisk

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I've tried to install ESFile Explorer through browser but with no results. Besides, browser crashes when, for instance, I try to write something on google.

I think the easiest way to get it would be from the market. if you haven't updated the vending.apk file to fix searching the market then you would have to use the category buttons at the top of the market to browse for it and install it.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Yes, I deleted the old version, installed uRamdisk usb 1.1 and framework 1.1.jar and renamed them properly (same name as erased files).
Did it all over again, no registering, and same result: after running for 3 times, went back to regular nook STR!!!

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Forget about the restart the process three times, do it like this:

1) Use nookRestore to restore /system.

2) Erase and Deregistered to wipe /data
(If it dosnt let you, force it shutting down your nook, then starting it up, and when the screen flickers press right and left bottom buttons, hold for 5+ seconds).

3) Register, or not, as you preffer.

4) Apply 1.1 firmware update.

5) Open the TouchNooter 1.6.24 image and inside the nooter folder, search and substitude the uRamdisk for this one http://www.multiupload.com/CJ981FWPJG
and framework.jar for this one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19201466&postcount=352.

6) Use the new TouchNooter 1.6.24 to root your device. Follow the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1132693
If it dosnt work, try again until it works.

7) Continue with registering: Youtube (401 error) --> GMail --> Market.

8) Download adb, and unzip it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1124160&page=6
download this vending apk:
and sqlite3:
http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3070900.zip
copy the apk and sqlite3 tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools , open cmd and then:

cd tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools
adb connect yournooktouchip

Now we are going to enable non market apps use my method, or what madmachinist said:

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';"
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb reboot

now when NST reboots:
adb install Vending.apk
adb reboot

You are done, everything should work now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs NookTouch Tools
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • January 26, 2012 -
        • Tested Fix: ADW not installing - Caused by spaces in ADW's Filename in 2.1.26
        • Added: Amazon Marketplace, Opera Mini
      • January 26, 2012 -
        • Added: adbWireless, SuperManager (Root File Manager, APK Manager, other useful tools), Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
        • Untested Fix: Market 1 Day wait
        • Updated: busybox, ButtonSavior.apk, su & SuperUser.apk
      • November 20, 2011 -
        • Removed: GoLauncher, LiveWallPaper Picker, maybe some other stuff.
        • Added: New Market, ADW with Black Minimalist Theme, NookTouchTools.
        • New: Rooting Image
      • June 24, 2011 -
        • Removed: Multitouch Permission
        • Added: Modified framework.jar
      • June 22, 2011 - Fixed: Script not running at boot.
      • June 20, 2011 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-2-1-31.zip - Uploaded
      2. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-xx-xx-xx.img of=/dev/sdcard (where xx-xx-xx is the version number)
      3. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      4. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
        • If you wish to use Underclocking follow these steps
          1. Download Underclock.zip from uploaded attachments
          2. Unzip it and place the data folder in /nooter/
          3. Check that the com.antutu.CpuMasterFree folder is in the /nooter/data/data folder
          4. Check that com.antutu.CpuMasterFree.apk is in /nooter/data/app
      5. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      6. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      7. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      8. You should see the new TouchNooter boot screen, follow all instructions.
      9. That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.
      10. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      11. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      12. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      13. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      14. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      15. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      16. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      17. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
        • At this time Market fails and you must wait up to a day. Just check it every so often. Future updates should fix this.
      18. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

19. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      20. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      21. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • XorZone - NookTouchTools - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289894 - Sorry, been busy, credit where credits due.
      • Torimu.Joji - For the configurations for CPU Master Free that allows simple automated underclocking
      • xevious - Kick starting my brain to get this update out
      • mali100 - modified framework.jar for 1.1
      • eded333 - Repackaged Gapps, the idea that may fix 1 Day Market Issue.
      • ros87 - uRamdisk
      • nemith - helping me figure out getting it to run at boot.
      • JesusFreke - For getting root.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: School
    I just tried to root my daughter's new Nook Simple Touch (1.2 firmware) with the touchnooter-2-1-31 image written to a microSD card but it just hangs at the Touchnooter instruction screen forever. If I remove the SD card and try to reboot it hangs at the "Your Nook is starting up..." screen. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks

It says, this is for 1.1, not for 1.2. So mayby read about what you are doing?

Press power for 2 secs, wait 1 sec, press it for 15 secs, wait 2 secs, and start over, and over, for 8 times. Then, if you want to have root, use any compatible rooter.

It does not matter if you use a Glowlight version, it should work for 99%
    This thread is deprecated, however you should be able to use GlowNooter on the normal TouchNooter (based on how B&N does their updates it should work for both). If anyone can confirm this I'll change the front post to properly link to the current update.

Despite the fact this thread is deprecated, this rom is the best for having a really good screen contrast on our NST.

I leave this instructions for those who need help to downgrade their NST to install TouchNooter.
    Forget about the restart the process three times, do it like this:

1) Use nookRestore to restore /system.

2) Erase and Deregistered to wipe /data
    (If it dosnt let you, force it shutting down your nook, then starting it up, and when the screen flickers press right and left bottom buttons, hold for 5+ seconds).

3) Register, or not, as you preffer.

4) Apply 1.1 firmware update.

5) Open the TouchNooter 1.6.24 image and inside the nooter folder, search and substitude the uRamdisk for this one http://www.multiupload.com/CJ981FWPJG
    and framework.jar for this one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19201466&postcount=352.

6) Use the new TouchNooter 1.6.24 to root your device. Follow the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1132693
    If it dosnt work, try again until it works.

7) Continue with registering: Youtube (401 error) --> GMail --> Market.

8) Download adb, and unzip it:
    download this vending apk:
    and sqlite3:
    http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3070900.zip
    copy the apk and sqlite3 tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools , open cmd and then:

Now we are going to enable non market apps use my method, or what madmachinist said:

adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';"
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

now when NST reboots:
    adb install Vending.apk
    adb reboot

You are done, everything should work now.
    No it will not revert to stock. But if you go to my website you can download an mSd card Image that will restore everything back to the original factory firmware image. nook Root (Just click on the "nook Touch" link on the nav bar)

Uhm?

Please stop redistributing an old and obsolete version of my restore image!
    It's also common to give proper credits when redistributing stuff like you do..

The right way to do this would be to link to the actual thread in this forum, so people can get the latest version and updated instructions.

Links you should add instead of redistributing copies that are or will be obsolete:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289233
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1351719
    http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Thank you