What is the most stable radio/baseband for the Samsung Hercules (T-989) on TMOUS?

Search This thread

Nas Escobar

Dec 16, 2012
I'm having issues with a Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 where every time I place the phone on speaker, the call becomes choppy and blanks out completely at times, sounding as if I had no signal whatsoever. This started out with the stock rom so I decided to root it. I went from ICS to JB on Cyanogenmod. I flashed a newer radio because it would otherwise not let me flash anything. I tried flashing UVMC6 and it did not improve it. I then flashed UVMB1 (the 4G Blaze radio) and it still does the same thing. Call quality over the ear piece is good, but it all goes out the window when I use speakerphone.

I checked off the box on "Noise Suppression" and it doesn't do anything at all. The sound is still choppy over speakerphone. I've searched up on the forum, and so far the threads that come up are from 2012 or early 2013, but I assume that T-Mobile has made new radio/baseband settings since then.

My question is, what is the most stable radio/baseband to use on the T989 to get rid of the speakerphone problem, or is this problem a design flaw since the speaker is near the microphone?

All help is appreciated.

Last edited:

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Thread moved
Best "anything" is based on your own personal preference/phone/area/setup. I recommend you try each for a day and see what is best for your phone and area.

D

Darth

There are only 2 radios that work on jelly bean...the newest T-Mobile one and the telus one. That's it. ;)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Also, some custom ROMs could have noise issues. You have to read through their threads to see. Or post in their threads.

Stock jelly bean should be flawless if thats what you want. Or a 4.1.2 touch wiz based ROM.

Good luck!

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

Joetech3000

May 4, 2014
I'm using CM 10.2 stable (4.3 JB) on my T989 Koodo. Getting the same speakerphone choppiness, and the same when using a bluetooth device.

Any luck finding a good stable radio package?

D

Darth

I'm using CM 10.2 stable (4.3 JB) on my T989 Koodo. Getting the same speakerphone choppiness, and the same when using a bluetooth device.

Any luck finding a good stable radio package?

Again.. There are only 2 radios that work on anything jelly bean or higher. T-Mobile or telus's newest. No other options. So all you can do is try other ROMs. ;)

kaiserXDA

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles (Beverly Hills),Ca.
Again.. There are only 2 radios that work on anything jelly bean or higher. T-Mobile or telus's newest. No other options. So all you can do is try other ROMs. ;)
Thanks for your very short, almost arrogant, half of an answer. We are here to help each other and by doing so teaching us something that someone taught you at one time.
I se that you have said in two different posts that there are only two that will work in a build that new but, in both posts you have neglected to tell which two those are. You would think that if one was tryingto be helpful instead of posting to be an ass and belittle a person who doesn't know as much as you, that you would be kind enough to have those two versions listed in the two very informative posts you spent so much time writing.

D

Darth

Thanks for your very short, almost arrogant, half of an answer. We are here to help each other and by doing so teaching us something that someone taught you at one time.
I se that you have said in two different posts that there are only two that will work in a build that new but, in both posts you have neglected to tell which two those are. You would think that if one was tryingto be helpful instead of posting to be an ass and belittle a person who doesn't know as much as you, that you would be kind enough to have those two versions listed in the two very informative posts you spent so much time writing.

Here you go. I searched for you and/or anyone and found this.....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1895400

First 2 radios in the list in the opening post. Apparently the mirror links are the ones to use.

Without scolding people for not searching like many will do, or giving them attitude, I like to encourage people to search for things... without a big long lecture. I'm sorry if that didn't sit well with you.

I gave a quick and precise answer. Possibly assuming most know what the 2 radios are.... it's been a long time this way on 4.1.2 or anything above. My bad. :)

Take care.

Last edited:

kaiserXDA

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles (Beverly Hills),Ca.
I appreciate the response and the link and the apology. I wasn't looking for either of those from you though. I was merely reading different posts and replies and it amazes me how lazy or just not driven to learn and read most of the new, and not so new , members are about about searches to find what they are looking for. It does get to be time consuming for some searches and some don't even try.
On the other side of the coin,it does get old reading questions that are answered in stickies or that one sees two or three times a week being asked throughout the site.
But, as a member who isn't too far from still being a noob but, has enough time in to see both sides of the fence , there is and always has been an almost elitist, ego among members who do know more than most. It can be intimidating to ask for help because of the way they get replies. Some people k ow nothing about cell phones that come here looking for help and then get berrated for posting in the room, or not knowing what OS or kernel is installed on their device.
I just wanted to remind you that you were probably one of those guys for some time and that posting a quip that doesn't do anything to help or guide the OP to the right answer. It just adds to the stress he or she is under because their device is not working right and they don't to feel stupid for not k owing something. We all know that feeling and it sucks.
I hope he got the links and one of them works. Thanks for posting the links and what you said. We're allhere for one basic goal. To learn and teach. Let's keep to that course on the ship were sailing on XDA

D

Darth

I appreciate the response and the link and the apology. I wasn't looking for either of those from you though. I was merely reading different posts and replies and it amazes me how lazy or just not driven to learn and read most of the new, and not so new , members are about about searches to find what they are looking for. It does get to be time consuming for some searches and some don't even try.
On the other side of the coin,it does get old reading questions that are answered in stickies or that one sees two or three times a week being asked throughout the site.
But, as a member who isn't too far from still being a noob but, has enough time in to see both sides of the fence , there is and always has been an almost elitist, ego among members who do know more than most. It can be intimidating to ask for help because of the way they get replies. Some people k ow nothing about cell phones that come here looking for help and then get berrated for posting in the room, or not knowing what OS or kernel is installed on their device.
I just wanted to remind you that you were probably one of those guys for some time and that posting a quip that doesn't do anything to help or guide the OP to the right answer. It just adds to the stress he or she is under because their device is not working right and they don't to feel stupid for not k owing something. We all know that feeling and it sucks.
I hope he got the links and one of them works. Thanks for posting the links and what you said. We're allhere for one basic goal. To learn and teach. Let's keep to that course on the ship were sailing on XDA

You're entitled to your opinion. Many would have found my original reply more than good enough. As many have in the past. Some maybe not. Remember tho, I don't work for XDA, I'm not paid to help anyone. I'm entitled to say or not say whatever I'd like. (Within XDA rules of course) As are you.

I'm sorry my original reply didn't contain enough info for you personally.....

But some of your accusations are rather insulting.... You don't get a green name on XDA being the type of person you have accused me of being. Yes many around are exactly like you describe..... I am not.

And I'm not here to take part in arguments either.

So let's agree to disagree. And leave it at that.

And keep in mind, blasting people for not helping "enough" or in the way you hoped for will probably get even less help and just more arguments.

Anyway, take care. ;)

Last edited: