[Discuss] Which are you more excited about, TW 4.3 or AOSP 4.4?

Search This thread

32BitWhore

Aug 31, 2011
So with the probability that we'll be getting OTA 4.3 soon and the official 4.4 nightlies bound to start anytime, which are you most looking forward to?

I love the features of TouchWiz, but I've migrated to CyanogenMod since 4.1.2 feels really dated now.

Which features do you like about your respective favorite and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
So with the probability that we'll be getting OTA 4.3 soon and the official 4.4 nightlies bound to start anytime, which are you most looking forward to?

I love the features of TouchWiz, but I've migrated to CyanogenMod since 4.1.2 feels really dated now.

im exited about touchwiz, yes you can start calling me names now but i like the features on it, i dont care about that customization like in CM i want the features, like how i can wirelessly stream content to my tv without any additional hardware

by the way its a Sony tv not samsung :good:
and a bunch more good stuff

Reactions: 32BitWhore

32BitWhore

Aug 31, 2011
im exited about touchwiz, yes you can start calling me names now but i like the features on it, i dont care about that customization like in CM i want the features, like how i can wirelessly stream content to my tv without any additional hardware

I'm not here to make fun. I think TW has as many benefits as AOSP does, just for different reasons. :highfive:

Just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were.

WeThePeople13

Jan 5, 2012
I am running CM 11 and I have enabled ART. I was excited about TW but as of right now I am just happy with how stupid fast this is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

srs731

Sep 4, 2010
I have owned my s3 since release. I have ONLY ran AOSP since day 1. Haven't even tried TW hell I might like it.

Will defiantly move to 4.4 once there are cherry picks. I enjoy aosp so to answer your question 4.4!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Questions go in Q&A and help section.
Please do not check the box "yes this is a question" as it puts a [Q] in the title and then those get moved to Q&A
I have edited your title to read [Discuss], although the whole AOSP vs., TW subject has been beaten to death
It is just a matter of preference and many of these threads can be found across XDA
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
4.3 TW to be honest

Want to see if it boosts Quadrant benchmarks since the CM11 builds certainly haven't

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Who cares if the quadrant score isn't higher? As others have said, 4.4 is insanely fast! I don't need a score to tell me that. 4.3 TW may have higher quadrant scores but it won't touch 4.4 AOSP for real life speed. Apps open instantaneously, lag is nonexistent... What are you looking for?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
Tough question. If we even see TW 4.3 anymore, I'd say that. I was on the cm11 builds for a few days, and like most aosp roms, it is plagued by camera quality and data issues. Data is fine in good service areas, but low/fringe areas struggle, then it murders your battery. I had to come back to TW for stability. I know cm11 is young, but even some aosp 4.2 and 4.3 roms give me similar results with the camera and data issues. Just my experience.

joshua5683

Feb 15, 2013
As much as I'd love to use CM11, I can't stand the AOSP camera and that is why I use Touchwiz. CM11 looks so good though, and apparently has something called "ART" which apparently is good, so I will probably flash a CM11 rom to give it a try, but will end up reverting to Touchwiz like always because of the camera.

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
As much as I'd love to use CM11, I can't stand the AOSP camera and that is why I use Touchwiz. CM11 looks so good though, and apparently has something called "ART" which apparently is good, so I will probably flash a CM11 rom to give it a try, but will end up reverting to Touchwiz like always because of the camera.

Exactly like me. I don't even like the TW interface, but the camera and data issues always make me come back. I tried CM11 over the weekend, and it was really smooth. ART is pretty cool, too. Makes the apps launch almost instantly, but isn't compatible with all apps. Makes for a lot of troubleshooting and xda reading. What made me switch back to TW was when my girlfriend and I were literally right next to each other using our phones, she had 4G (Galaxy S4) and I had no data. It never came back until we moved to an area with a little better signal.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC

ART is not part of CM , its a experimental runtime environment that Google has inserted into 4.4 . At this point it's mainly experimental for developers. Many / most current apps don;t support it.

If you don;t like the way TouchWiz looks , you can run any other launcher on a TW ROm and have the best of both worlds, stability and all features working with a different UI appearance.

Reactions: landshark68

Juice3250

ART is not part of CM , its a experimental runtime environment that Google has inserted into 4.4 . At this point it's mainly experimental for developers. Many / most current apps don;t support it.

If you don;t like the way TouchWiz looks , you can run any other launcher on a TW ROm and have the best of both worlds, stability and all features working with a different UI appearance.

Just my .02 but the TW vs. AOSP was never just about appearance. It was more about the amount of "bloatware" on TW roms that some never use or see any need for. Most of the Samsung features and apps fall into the this category.

jefflikesbagels

Oct 19, 2010
I just went back to a TW ROM due to way too many random reboots, shoddy data, and mediocre camera quality. It's a love hate relationship, because the only thing I like about TW is the data and camera, while the UI and buttery smoothness of AOSP is what I really enjoy. TW ROMs always lag for me. If only we could have both together...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Just my .02 but the TW vs. AOSP was never just about appearance. It was more about the amount of "bloatware" on TW roms that some never use or see any need for. Most of the Samsung features and apps fall into the this category.

Apps you don;t want are easily removed or frozen. They don;t hurt anything just sitting there anyway. The Custom TW ROMs have the useless items removed while retaining the good stuff like All Share and the IR Remote functions. They also add the options to install themes, lots of 4.3 and 4.4 features etc. That's why there's not a lot of excitement about 4.3 or 4.4, we already have most of it.

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
I am excited for both.

I really wish there was working multiboot for the d2vzw, though. When I'm traveling, I'd rather be on TW because I find battery life and camera quality are much better. Otherwise I'm on AOSP.

Reactions: TheDiabolicaL1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Apps you don;t want are easily removed or frozen. They don;t hurt anything just sitting there anyway. The Custom TW ROMs have the useless items removed while retaining the good stuff like All Share and the IR Remote functions. They also add the options to install themes, lots of 4.3 and 4.4 features etc. That's why there's not a lot of excitement about 4.3 or 4.4, we already have most of it.

Actually Ubuntu Touch is what i wan't the most :)

I am excited for both.

I really wish there was working multiboot for the d2vzw, though. When I'm traveling, I'd rather be on TW because I find battery life and camera quality are much better. Otherwise I'm on AOSP.