CM has pretty poor update waiting times.

Search This thread

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
So, yeah I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I have an N5 and I love the notion that it's pretty much the first device to receive updates. But, more often as of late, Google pushes updates via its services and even more recently by making its apps available to all, at least to devices running 4.4.x. So, the importance of being able to run with the very latest Android version has been somewhat mitigated.

The thing that has me concerned right now about the One+ 1 are the very long update cycles of CM. Should Android 5.0 roll out within the next few months, it would mean, based on CM update history, an additional 6 months before CM moves on to it the latest Android version nightlies roundup. 6 months is often longer than it takes even the big manufacturers to skin and update the latest Android version, waiting periods which proud Nexus owners have been able to avoid.

Just curious to hear from Nexus people who are thinking about this device and what any inevitable updates might mean to you?

mannu_in

Mar 13, 2012
Gurgaon
Well I think official updates are irrelevant as developers here will release their ROMs with line to the latest Google releases for the device.....I will just be buying One for Hardware.......

LeJolly

May 29, 2013
In an interview of Kondik, he said that now that they're a company and this is their product, they have actual paid devs working on the updates, which should make their code more higher quality and updates faster (though now that they have to make it stable means that it will slow updates down, I hope there will be a nightly channel)

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Well I think official updates are irrelevant as developers here will release their ROMs with line to the latest Google releases for the device.....I will just be buying One for Hardware.......

Don't bet on that. Look at how poorly the community CM builds (i'm talking official nightlies, those are "community" builds from the point of view of Cyngn) for the Oppo N1 are. It's Cyngn's official position that they don't care at all if the community builds are completely broken and that users should have no expectations whatsoever from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: EnemyOfGlaDOS

MrAndroid-HD

Dec 25, 2013
Svendborg
From the official point of view CM have said in a previous interview that we should expect 4 months on a major android version upgrade in CM11S.

I think that's pretty decent, anyone in need of a faster update schedule should jump on the nightly train, or find another rom :)

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
From the official point of view CM have said in a previous interview that we should expect 4 months on a major android version upgrade in CM11S.

I think that's pretty decent, anyone in need of a faster update schedule should jump on the nightly train, or find another rom :)

Right, but in terms of waiting times, I was referring even to the nightlies cycle. After a new Android release version, it usually takes months before they start to work on it. The stable releases, even the monthly ones, would take even longer. Correct me I'm wrong, but those hoping to jump on the nightlies cycle after the next version might be in for a rude awakening. But, in terms of stability for the nightlies, I have no doubt, they could be used as daily drivers, that is, if they open up nightlies to the general public.

MrAndroid-HD

Dec 25, 2013
Svendborg
Right, but in terms of waiting times, I was referring even to the nightlies cycle. After a new Android release version, it usually takes months before they start to work on it. The stable releases, even the monthly ones, would take even longer. Correct me I'm wrong, but those hoping to jump on the nightlies cycle after the next version might be in for a rude awakening. But, in terms of stability for the nightlies, I have no doubt, they could be used as daily drivers, that is, if they open up nightlies to the general public.

Remmember this is a special verison of CM, there is nothing like it used to that you can rely on. I know how things where in the past, but this is really one of their first projects where they are the main system on the phone from start - I know they where on the Oppo N1 also from the beginnign, but as far as I know, there weren't made a set deal like with the OnePlus..

Here OnePlus have a 2 year contract on a special version of CM.. Only time will tell us how much it differs from their normal releases..

Mailia

Nov 4, 2009
As said before, the Cyanogen transition from a hobby to a company might give a huge benefit here.

It's true that the waiting time between stable releases has historically been quite poor, but I have extremely good experiences with CM nightlies. I'm running nightlies on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, and I can't really complain about anything. Hopefully we'll have an easy opt-in to the nightlies (like there is currently) and that the first nightlies get pushed out fast as Android is updated.

Also, we'll always have community builds.

Reactions: MrAndroid-HD

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
Honestly, as long as they open source whatever code they use for the screen-off wake gestures, I don't care what I run on the device. As previously mentioned by others, I'm buying the hardware, not the software.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Honestly, as long as they open source whatever code they use for the screen-off wake gestures, I don't care what I run on the device. As previously mentioned by others, I'm buying the hardware, not the software.

That's done via touchscreen controller firmware - which isn't itself opensource (it's just a blob encoded into a header file within the kernel), but will work no matter what you're running on the device with a only a few tweaks to the frameworks/kernel. Plenty of projects have experience with these tweaks since the Oppo N1 had the same capability.

Reactions: LiquidSolstice

maxver0

Feb 5, 2013
Poznań
So, yeah I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I have an N5 and I love the notion that it's pretty much the first device to receive updates. But, more often as of late, Google pushes updates via its services and even more recently by making its apps available to all, at least to devices running 4.4.x. So, the importance of being able to run with the very latest Android version has been somewhat mitigated.

The thing that has me concerned right now about the One+ 1 are the very long update cycles of CM. Should Android 5.0 roll out within the next few months, it would mean, based on CM update history, an additional 6 months before CM moves on to it the latest Android version nightlies roundup. 6 months is often longer than it takes even the big manufacturers to skin and update the latest Android version, waiting periods which proud Nexus owners have been able to avoid.

Just curious to hear from Nexus people who are thinking about this device and what any inevitable updates might mean to you?

Keep in mind they were just an independent developers they were getting some random people WHO ACTUALLY WANTED to help maintain some devices even while there wasn't any driver or source code avaliable (Samsung) which is really hard. They didn't had any office and they weren't getting paid for that. Now they have access to all tools from Google and other manufacturers such as Qualcomm and other drivers which gives them much more possibilities like LG, Samsung or Sony already had from the beginning. CyanogenMod 11S will be much more stable and easier for deliever.

Reactions: FuMMoD

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Keep in mind they were just an independent developers they were getting some random people WHO ACTUALLY WANTED to help maintain some devices even while there wasn't any driver or source code avaliable (Samsung) which is really hard. They didn't had any office and they weren't getting paid for that. Now they have access to all tools from Google and other manufacturers such as Qualcomm and other drivers which gives them much more possibilities like LG, Samsung or Sony already had from the beginning. CyanogenMod 11S will be much more stable and easier for deliever.

Except that they've already had one official partner device (Oppo N1) where the user experience was actually WORSE for most people than many of the community-supported devices.

maxver0

Feb 5, 2013
Poznań
Except that they've already had one official partner device (Oppo N1) where the user experience was actually WORSE for most people than many of the community-supported devices.

I don't know users experiences about Oppo N1 but I do know that CyanogenMod didn't get as many tools from Oppo as they do have now from Oneplus and their hardware partners. Abhisek Devkota from CyanogenMod have been talking about it somewhere on Google plus. I'm not going to sit on cyanogenmod anyway most likely, especially when there will be support from Slimkat and francisco. Reminder: Oneplus One will be fully unlocked and sources will be avaliable for everyone.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I don't know users experiences about Oppo N1 but I do know that CyanogenMod didn't get as many tools from Oppo as they do have now from Oneplus and their hardware partners. Abhisek Devkota from CyanogenMod have been talking about it somewhere on Google plus. I'm not going to sit on cyanogenmod anyway most likely, especially when there will be support from Slimkat and francisco. Reminder: Oneplus One will be fully unlocked and sources will be avaliable for everyone.
That's bull****. The only thing they can blame Oppo on is the initial O-Click fiasco - nothing beyond that. (And I'm letting them slide for the O-Click mess, that really wasn't their fault)

Any failures beyond that have nothing to do with Oppo and everything to do with Cyngn. If you look at oppoforums, the Oppo section of the CM G+ community, and CM's own forums, they're full of users saying they're switching to Omni... Which happens to be maintained by people who got the N1 1-2 months later than Cyngn, aren't paid to work on the device, and didn't have anywhere close to the level of access to Oppo engineers and documentation (Cyngn signed an NDA for Qualcomm docs, we didn't).

So if users are reporting all over that they're switching to a project which had LESS of everything that Cyngn said they didn't have enough of - don't you think something is wrong there?

If anyone thinks CM is slow I had 4.4 on my tf700 within one month. Nightlies of course.
We're not talking about nightlies here, since there's no guarantee for users that they'll be anything but crap. Cyngn is ADAMANT about this position. If community builds (nightlies) for a Cyngn device are broken, you're SOL.

maxver0

Feb 5, 2013
Poznań
Any failures beyond that have nothing to do with Oppo and everything to do with Cyngn. If you look at oppoforums, the Oppo section of the CM G+ community, and CM's own forums, they're full of users saying they're switching to Omni... Which happens to be maintained by people who got the N1 1-2 months later than Cyngn, aren't paid to work on the device, and didn't have anywhere close to the level of access to Oppo engineers and documentation (Cyngn signed an NDA for Qualcomm docs, we didn't).

So if users are reporting all over that they're switching to a project which had LESS of everything that Cyngn said they didn't have enough of - don't you think something is wrong there?

Well that someone prefer more one rom than the other doesn't prove anything. I prefer custom rom Slimkat on my Nexus 4 even if stock is super stable or even a cyanogenmod rom on my phone. I tried OmniRom on my N4 tho but I couldn't find multiwindow at all in rom so I flashed over something else...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Don't bet on that. Look at how poorly the community CM builds (i'm talking official nightlies, those are "community" builds from the point of view of Cyngn) for the Oppo N1 are. It's Cyngn's official position that they don't care at all if the community builds are completely broken and that users should have no expectations whatsoever from them.
    As said before, the Cyanogen transition from a hobby to a company might give a huge benefit here.

It's true that the waiting time between stable releases has historically been quite poor, but I have extremely good experiences with CM nightlies. I'm running nightlies on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, and I can't really complain about anything. Hopefully we'll have an easy opt-in to the nightlies (like there is currently) and that the first nightlies get pushed out fast as Android is updated.

Also, we'll always have community builds.

That's done via touchscreen controller firmware - which isn't itself opensource (it's just a blob encoded into a header file within the kernel), but will work no matter what you're running on the device with a only a few tweaks to the frameworks/kernel. Plenty of projects have experience with these tweaks since the Oppo N1 had the same capability.