Life after TG01: Android or Iphone?

Next device?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Pere

Oct 25, 2006
Palau (Barcelona) Spain
http://bit.ly/nVOJok

It's hard to recognize it, but the sunset of our loved TG01 is coming....

I have a pair of TG01 and I love them, are the state of the art with WM. But WM is dead: all new software is for Iphone or Android. So, sooner or later, I'll jump to another device.

My problem is that I'm a Windows Mobile user since 2005 and absolutely ignorant regarding other operating systems.

I suppose that I'm not the only in this situation, and I'd like to know your opinions as you have already moved to other devices, from the point of view of a former WM 6.x user.

My son has a Iphone 4 and , jailbreaked, and it's impressive. On the other part, i love the specs of the last Android's Samsung Galaxy SII, specially after knowing that Host USB is possible on it.

Please contribute with your opinions , personal reviews, useful links, and specially, I'd like to create a table of programs on Android and Iphone OS, able to replace the hundred of WM programs (more or less) that I've got in my TG01.

Waiting your comments.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Rila

Aug 31, 2010
Bucuresti
Hi Pere,

I am an Android user of Galaxy S (not SII) since May 2010 and i love the way it feels that SO!
I bought two weeks ago TG01 because I liked from the begining and I can compare it for you!

The first thing is that with Android you are better connected with the internet, the internet browser load everything, play flash ... (its like having a real computer with Crome installed as a browser :))

The second thing is that you have Android Market (200.000 apps and the number grow). All the apps have a free of charge use(contains comercials but that doesn't bothered)

The third but not least is the optimization of the SO for finger use! Win Mob SO it was designed for stylus use not for finger and it shows!

nikola92

Oct 25, 2010
Novi Sad
Android, i have samsung galaxsy s II and comparing to other phones GOD, there is no better phone. to be honest same price as iphone 4 and twice better, well you could wait for iphone 5G but the camera and screen are the best spots on sgs2.

Reactions: Pere

Pere

Oct 25, 2006
Palau (Barcelona) Spain
Nice to met you here! Your opinion is very valuable to me as expert TG01 user.

USB Host is a must for me (My previous XDA Flame has it and was the reason to choose TG01 two years ago) but it seems to be a rarity in today's market.

Have you tested it?

And what about apps?

Thank you for explain us your experiences....

(InsertNameHere)

Jan 11, 2010
I have just moved to a Dell Streak, the huge 5" screen being the thing i really wanted.

I still have my TG01 right now and can compare them quite well as they both run on a snapdragon 1Ghz cpu.

Screen size aside, Android is so much faster on the hardware, WM seems quite slow in comparison, the user interface of Froyo just seems so fast.

Dell Streak can support USB host i think, and i have it overclocked to 1.19ghz for a little extra speed.

The process of flashing roms was a bit of a learning curve, but it was the same when i got my TG01 having come from a few Symbian devices before that, but its always the same when you change phone os.

I think if you are starting to consider the move to android, your time is pretty much now, becuase WM is starting to look quite old, and performance on the same hardware is just so far removed.

Apps are a plenty, lots of good free apps out there, for instance, there is a free app called AdFree which can block ads by installing a hosts file containing the addresses of ad servers. Lots of customization options including many different homescreen/launchers and you can have animated wallpaper if you want, the homescreen/today screen supports widgets, so you can have a htc style clock with weather, and lots of other widgets far too many to mention.

Last edited:

nikola92

Oct 25, 2010
Novi Sad
Samsung Galaxsy S II

Nice to met you here! Your opinion is very valuable to me as expert TG01 user.

USB Host is a must for me (My previous XDA Flame has it and was the reason to choose TG01 two years ago) but it seems to be a rarity in today's market.

Have you tested it?

And what about apps?

Thank you for explain us your experiences....

USB Host is working tested with Nokia HDMI to usb host cable, mouse, and external HDD 500 Gb, they will try to make the cable connection to LCD TV and charger at same time, mouse bluetooth connection and you just need to run ubuntu that i personaly tested :D . SGS2 AMAZING PHONE!!!! I will try to test that multy connection mode too, but i don't think it will be problem to a 1,6 GHz machine. Apps all working SPB shell best thing i saw ever, all HD games...

i have been using all kinda os's but android is still not my favourite one, iOS is but i don't like the Apple brand so overtook it i mean that OS on sgs2 best thing ever. So Pere it's all on you, just take iphone 4 and sgs2 i hands and it will be all clear to you, brand vs. power :)

Pere

Oct 25, 2006
Palau (Barcelona) Spain
I have just moved to a Dell Streak, the huge 5" screen being the thing i really wanted........Dell Streak can support USB host i think, and i have it overclocked to 1.19ghz for a little extra speed.

The process of flashing roms was a bit of a learning curve, but it was the same when i got my TG01 having come from a few Symbian devices before that, but its always the same when you change phone os.....

Thanks, very interesting. Is a pity that Streak 5 is no longer available. It seems that 5" is too big for present market....

And what about apps? I mean, for instance, with program Android users prefer to watch videos or listen to the music?

(InsertNameHere)

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks, very interesting. Is a pity that Streak 5 is no longer available. It seems that 5" is too big for present market....

And what about apps? I mean, for instance, with program Android users prefer to watch videos or listen to the music?

Dell Streak 5 is still available in europe, but if you don't need the 5" screen then obviously there is much better out there. MoboPlayer is a very good constantly updated video player, and there are loads of good audio players, PowerAMP and Winamp being examples. WinMo probably has better mp3 players but thats subjective.

Last edited:

Pere

Oct 25, 2006
Palau (Barcelona) Spain
Table to relate WM/Android/IOS apps

I've started this table to relate apps. The aim is to help me to find the "must" apps (from my point of view, of course) able to replace the ones that I use in my loved TG01

The first one is the Pocket Controller, is there any like it on Android and IOS??

The second one: BEst Epub reader? I use Freda

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

Tozzy2

Feb 6, 2010
I still have TG01 and still holding out hope of something special coming soon. Every day I check google hoping to see media breaking news headline such as:

TG01 now running linux/android SUCCESSFULLY

But, now I'm starting to lose hope and thinking of moving on and upgrading to a new device. It really does seem like development is dying, or already dead.

(InsertNameHere)

Jan 11, 2010
I've started this table to relate apps. The aim is to help me to find the "must" apps (from my point of view, of course) able to replace the ones that I use in my loved TG01

The first one is the Pocket Controller, is there any like it on Android and IOS??

The second one: BEst Epub reader? I use Freda

Thank you guys!

There is a similar app to Pocket Controller that is based on java, it is called Android Screencast

Also Droid Explorer can do a similar thing

As for a epub reader, there is Nook, Kindle and these

Last edited:
Reactions: Pere

Pere

Oct 25, 2006
Palau (Barcelona) Spain

Who said that 5" is big enough?? Have you seen the new Samsung Galaxy Note???

5,3" 1280x800 pixels 1,4 GHz...... I think that I fall in love....:p

Especificaciones-Samsung-Note.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfMmMrUwRnI#t=7s

Last edited:
Reactions: nikola92

(InsertNameHere)

Jan 11, 2010
Thank you!. Did you test it? Some review say that it's a bit laggy...

I haven't tested any of the software mentioned yet, but i am guessing it depends on the device the software is used with.

Who said that 5" is big enough?? Have you seen the new Samsung Galaxy Note???

5,3" 1280x800 pixels 1,4 GHz...... I think that I fall in love....:p

Especificaciones-Samsung-Note.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfMmMrUwRnI#t=7s

Yes its a beautiful device, but is going to be expensive on release, you can get Dell Streaks quite cheap even new now, especially on Fleebay, you can buy new with warranty at quite a reasonable price.

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester

It's hard to recognize it, but the sunset of our loved TG01 is coming....

I have a pair of TG01 and I love them, are the state of the art with WM. But WM is dead: all new software is for Iphone or Android. So, sooner or later, I'll jump to another device.

My problem is that I'm a Windows Mobile user since 2005 and absolutely ignorant regarding other operating systems.

I suppose that I'm not the only in this situation, and I'd like to know your opinions as you have already moved to other devices, from the point of view of a former WM 6.x user.

My son has a Iphone 4 and , jailbreaked, and it's impressive. On the other part, i love the specs of the last Android's Samsung Galaxy SII, specially after knowing that Host USB is possible on it.

Please contribute with your opinions , personal reviews, useful links, and specially, I'd like to create a table of programs on Android and Iphone OS, able to replace the hundred of WM programs (more or less) that I've got in my TG01.

Waiting your comments.

Thank you!

Pere, I was also a hardcore wm fan. But I moved on to android, and never looked back!

Android is so promising and as statistics show, the best in the market!!

The S

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Pere, I was also a hardcore wm fan. But I moved on to android, and never looked back!

Android is so promising and as statistics show, the best in the market!!

The S2 is an great phone, but if I were you wait for the release of iPhone 5 first (just a few days time) to see which is best to upgrade from

paroariax

Feb 25, 2010
I'm still sticking with my TG01 for the time being, as I'm out of work and can't afford anything else. After installing S2U2 and iPhoneToday (both free from XDA) it feels like a brand new device with lots of life left in it.

Eventually I will move on to Android, probably either a top-end HTC or Samsung Galaxy variant.

R.I.P. Windows Mobile!

nikola92

Oct 25, 2010
Novi Sad
If you are chosing one of those two Galaxsy Note is my pick but I prefer Samsung Galaxsy Nexsus Prime! That is a phone for you my friend :D

Top Liked Posts