[VIDEO] How to Root the Amazon Kindle Fire HD Tablet

Search This thread

weakgame

Jan 16, 2010
Others having same issue, I dont see a fix though....

I really want to root this Kindle fire HD I won at work. I have rooted my EVO, S2, and Note 2.... I have never had such a issue with any of them. I have posted all the steps I took. I keep getting premission errors, I assume this is due to mine is on Ver 7.2.3? They say it should work but I have tried many times and will not work. I have also tried the Qemu option and it also states premission denied. ANY help would be apprecitate. I HATE the ads on this thing and the bloatware and cant wait to remove them!

steps taken leading to failure:

E:\DLZ\adt-bundle-windows\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
shell@android:/ $ rm -r /data/local/tmp
rm -r /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/ $ ln -s /data/ /data/local/tmp
ln -s /data/ /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/ $ exit
exit

E:\DLZ\adt-bundle-windows\sdk\platform-tools>adb reboot

error: device not found

shell@android:/ $ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied

(Since im used to ubuntu thought id try SU, I am on a windows box and have tried XP, and unix, all same results)
1|shell@android:/ $ su
su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
127|shell@android:/ $

krissy007

Jan 1, 2013
Because permissions on /data/ are locked. This allows us to put things into /data/ .

I have input the below command to unlock the permissions on /data/ ???
adb shell
rm -r /data/local/tmp
exit
adb reboot

Kindle fire hd 7.2.3 reboots then @ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop ERROR permission denied

Also I have followed all the steps and un installed and reinstalled all utilities/ drivers as well as did the factory reset on the kindle and used the Bin v17 to restore the kindle. I still cant get past echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop. I keep getting permission denied. I'm running the cmd as admin and I have tried manually typing in rootqmeun.bat and I have tried the auto root tool by sparky but it returns with the same error permission denied.I have also tried to use the steps on your page and type in the commands in the cmd as admin and it gets stuck at echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME :confused:

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

steps taken in cmd as admin

adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
shell@android:/ $ rm -r /data/local/tmp
rm -r /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/ $ ln -s /data/ /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/ $ exit
exit

adb shell
shell@android:/ $ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied

ANY FIXES:confused:

Last edited:

glenofcrawley

Jan 2, 2013
does this work for v 10.2.0?

This site is brilliant, thanks to the contributors and the OP I think I can root my Kindle following your instructions... and I'm no techno whizz kid! : )

My Kindle Fire (not hd) is running Kindle System Version 10.2.0 - any ideas if the method in this thread will work for me? It seems other successes mentioned are with other versions?

Thanks in advance for your help : )

camman85

Nov 30, 2012
Spokane
I'm having the same issues as most here after the update. The second step to echo leads to a Permission denied message. Everything else works great up until that point.

I'm trying on a Kindle Fire 2, not the HD with version 10.2.4_user_2420720, so must be a fix for the KF2 after the 10.2.0 or above and the HDs above the 7.2.0... Lame.

Any updates or other workarounds would be amazing! I've been reading up on the other post about the fire, tried using the auto-roots (Bin4ry and others) to no avail. Seems like the hole was patched for all of those 'easier' root methods.

******EDIT******

I got the kindles to root! I used the guide from this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2051270 and it worked splendidly. At first, it would not recognize the kindles, even though I had the ADB drivers installed properly. The trick was to copy the updated adb interface from the platform-tools folder into the Bin4ry and Qemu folders. After that it was a piece of cake, everything worked as stated it would! Wonderful guide!

Thanks so much to everyone who has put so much into this to make kindles root-able!

I take no credit for finding the workaround, as it was posted by another user. I just thought I'd give an update as to how to fix this. Hope this helps others trying to root.
Both the kindles I rooted were 10.2.4, the Kindle Fire 2, not the HD.

Last edited:

itsrabie

Jan 12, 2013
HELP

Major thanks to Sparkym3 for coming up with this exploit, and to Justin Case & Hashcode for helping do this on my tablet today.

Here are the files that you need:

The commands:

adb shell
rm -r /data/local/tmp
exit

adb reboot

adb shell
exit

abd reboot

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
rm /data/local.prop
exit

adb reboot

adb install Superuser.apk

How do I revert this back to unrooted using adb?

Thank you!

Widodude

Feb 26, 2009
Major thanks to Sparkym3 for coming up with this exploit, and to Justin Case & Hashcode for helping do this on my tablet today.

Here are the files that you need:

http://www.reverendkyle.com/download/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

http://www.reverendkyle.com/download/Kindle_Fire_HD_ADB_Drivers.zip

Be sure to install ADB on your computer first!

http://www.reverendkyle.com/index.php/articles/130-how-to-install-adb-for-android-in-windows

The commands:

adb shell
rm -r /data/local/tmp
exit

adb reboot

adb shell
exit

abd reboot

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
rm /data/local.prop
exit

adb reboot

adb install Superuser.apk

The original instructions can be found here:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/17/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-7-already-rooted-heres-how-to-do-it/

So i'm using KFHD 7.2.3 and i'm stuck on the ECHO command = permission denied. Runnning CMD as Admin (everything else works/installed etc...), please see screendump. Advise please?

Attachments

• CMD_SHELL_ECHO_Permission_Denied.jpg
    CMD_SHELL_ECHO_Permission_Denied.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: warspite721

warspite721

Mar 15, 2013
Im stuck on the same thing.. i tried both cmd way and automated way and both say permission denied.

Same here.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

It is important to say that at the point where the "echo" command failed, I was able to stop at that point, exit ADB, reboot my device, and resume normal (unrooted) ops. From what I can see, no need to panic, just stop the root immediately and wait for the devs to respond to this issue.

Last edited:

gtithaine

Mar 11, 2013
video?

I have just put the finishing touches on an automated version of this for those not so technical. I shall upload it to the kindle fire forum. To the OP, feel free to make a video with the new tool once I have posted it.

Hi the video link just leads me back to this page. Can you send me a link? Also when I try to unzip the to links for the root it just says my unzip as stopped working. I purchased a new unzip but it doesn't give me the option to use that. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

muggie6288

Aug 15, 2013
Blacklisted

I bought a kindle fire hd 7 off of Craigslist. New still in box. Wont let me register it. I guess it's blacklisted? Will this work on a blacklisted kindlefire, so apps can be accessed?

jonboot

Apr 23, 2017
Hung up on Step 3 using new tool

Hello All,

I'm new to rooting but very computer friendly. I keep getting hung up on step 3 with the alert as follows:

Step 3 - Checking for access...
The system cannot find the file specified

anyone have the same issue or can shed some light on what file it is looking for? Thank you!

Top Liked Posts