Speaker Volume Boost for KitKat 4.4.2

Search This thread

robroy_fr

Feb 11, 2011
So i'm still working on it...just wanted to let you guys know I haven't forgotten. I've tried lots of different things and haven't had any luck yet. It's possible there's some sort of hard-coded limiter to how loud you can make the headphone jack go, but we'll see if I can't work it out. Give me the next 24 hours to keep plugging away.

Plus, gives me a good chance to listen to a lot Gogol Bordello while I tweak sound settings ;)

May this be of any help to you: " [MOD][GUIDE] Volume Boosting Sound Mod | For Galaxy S4 | Quad Core Only! | 12.10.2013"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293133
joy23 presented in this thread a volume boosting sound hack mod for the Galaxy S4 -- modding not only file "snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm" in folder "system/etc/snd_soc_msm", but also file "snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3" in the same folder.
And not only did he change the values for "Speaker", but also for "Speaker Extra Vol", "Handset", "Handset Extra Vol", "Headset", "Headset Mic" and "Sub Mic".
May also work for KiKat 4.4.2!

52brandon

Feb 3, 2010
May this be of any help to you: " [MOD][GUIDE] Volume Boosting Sound Mod | For Galaxy S4 | Quad Core Only! | 12.10.2013"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293133
joy23 presented in this thread a volume boosting sound hack mod for the Galaxy S4 -- modding not only file "snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm" in folder "system/etc/snd_soc_msm", but also file "snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3" in the same folder.
And not only did he change the values for "Speaker", but also for "Speaker Extra Vol", "Handset", "Handset Extra Vol", "Headset", "Headset Mic" and "Sub Mic".
May also work for KiKat 4.4.2!

I'm not quite sure what changing the "mic" setting benefits, except if people on the other end have a hard time hearing you normally. But otherwise, yeah, I changed all speaker outputs, whether headset, BT, speaker, whatever. And I gotta say with the louder output to my headphones from this mod coupled with the Viper Mod on HyperDriver 17.1, I have never gotten such quality, loud, audio from any phone, personal audio device, etc. I must say, I am VERY impressed. My headphones are the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, which are top quality in terms of sound quality and accuracy. I got em at a great price, but until now, I never really understood paying such a high price for headphones, but wow, the sound I'm getting from these with these mods is beyond impressive

***I'm going to try some experimenting to turn up the file % higher, and keep it lower on the actual phone adjustments to see if it affects output distortion. But we'll see how that goes. I remember there was a way to adjust it to it on the phone so that it makes more, smaller, incriments. If anybody remembers how to do that, please post it for me if you dont mind. Thanks :D

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
Does this work on both TW and AOSP roms?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure if it will, only because I haven't run an AOSP rom since 4.0 .... but you can easily check my guide in the OP to see if that file exists, back it up, and give it a shot. The worst thing that could ever happen is a bootloop, but i haven't even had that happen yet!

Reactions: Spookymyo

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
I'm not quite sure what changing the "mic" setting benefits, except if people on the other end have a hard time hearing you normally. But otherwise, yeah, I changed all speaker outputs, whether headset, BT, speaker, whatever. And I gotta say with the louder output to my headphones from this mod coupled with the Viper Mod on HyperDriver 17.1, I have never gotten such quality, loud, audio from any phone, personal audio device, etc. I must say, I am VERY impressed. My headphones are the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, which are top quality in terms of sound quality and accuracy. I got em at a great price, but until now, I never really understood paying such a high price for headphones, but wow, the sound I'm getting from these with these mods is beyond impressive

***I'm going to try some experimenting to turn up the file % higher, and keep it lower on the actual phone adjustments to see if it affects output distortion. But we'll see how that goes. I remember there was a way to adjust it to it on the phone so that it makes more, smaller, incriments. If anybody remembers how to do that, please post it for me if you dont mind. Thanks :D

I'm still working on this as well. Most of the adjustments I make outside of the external speaker either don't do anything, or sound so bloody awful that it frankly isn't worth it. But i'm digging through some of my S3 mods and trying to remember what exactly I did on that device to get the BT and Headphone boosts to work AND sound good.

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
Awesome Man!!! Wasn't expecting that kind of response when I asked.... Actually didn't realize this thread was new either haha. I thought it was an old thread that I was hoping someone just had an answer too.:laugh:

No problem man! I don't do as much dev anymore because I just don't have the time, but whenever I come across something (like the external speaker volume) that I can't live with, I'll roll up the sleeves and dig in.

Spookymyo

I'm not 100% sure if it will, only because I haven't run an AOSP rom since 4.0 .... but you can easily check my guide in the OP to see if that file exists, back it up, and give it a shot. The worst thing that could ever happen is a bootloop, but i haven't even had that happen yet!

Just tried it.

It works. The loud mod is way too much, it distorts the speakers. The moderate one is just fine.

wilsonmd

Jun 3, 2012
Hazleton, PA
THANKS THANKS! You are a genius my good friend!! The volume increase SO HIGHLY! but a question is what about a headset? I need make the same procedure about increase the values too?

AGAIN.........THANKS!

I have a Sprint s4 working as GSM with NAE 4.4.2 stock cooked and deodexed by me.

Last edited:

ACE3740

Dec 17, 2014
Allentown
Hello,
And THANK YOU Theresin and everyone else who was / is working on this. I just wanted to see if there were any updates yet on how to boost the Headphone, Bluetooth and In-Call Volume? Please help! I really need this, I love the phone but it's so quiet it's ridiculous!
*** I would even be willing to donate to someone if they can figure out and make a .zip flash that works to boost these and the instructions on what values to change also.
Thanks again for everyone's help and input!!!

Last edited:

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
Hello,
And THANK YOU Theresin and everyone else who was / is working on this. I just wanted to see if there were any updates yet on how to boost the Headphone, Bluetooth and In-Call Volume? Please help! I really need this, I love the phone but it's so quiet it's ridiculous!
*** I would even be willing to donate to someone if they can figure out and make a .zip flash that works to boost these and the instructions on what values to change also.

Hey guys .. sorry it's been so long! Work and real life definitely started to monopolize my time.

I've received a few PM's and posts on here asking if I (or anyone else) has looked into boosting other aspects of the S4's volume (headset, BT, etc). In my original testing I had a difficult time locating the exact values that would change those settings .. and I'm sure if any of you have also dug into that file, you'll see there's quite a few possible values that look like they SHOULD be the ones that'll do what you're looking for. To this point, however - I wasn't able to get any of them to work.

That being said, I no longer use the S4 as my daily driver (I've got an S5 through work and a Note 4 Edge as my personal) ... but I DO still have my MDK S4 and will be happy to play around with it again this weekend since so many of you have been kind enough to thank me for my earlier work. No promises of course! And I'm open to any suggestions any of you might have noticed in the months since I have been inactive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So one of the biggest disappointments I've had with just about all my Samsung Galaxy devices has been the volume output from the external speaker - especially when watching movies.

So, as someone else asked about this in one of the ROM forums, I thought I would share my little tweak with the rest of you, and show how to do it yourself so you can play around with all sorts of volume tweaks.

As is the case with most things, be careful making changes to system files - I am not responsible if somehow you change a setting that results in the annihilation of the entire human race! (but really ... the worst that'll happen is it won't change anything, or you'll crash on boot ... so back everything up, and nandroid)

Process:

1) Download and extract either the moderate, or extreme file uploaded to this post.

2) Using your file explorer of choice, navigate to system/etc/snd_soc_msm

3) Back up the file titled snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm (i just add a .bak to the end of it, but moving it to another location works too)

4) Copy/move the downloaded snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file into the system/etc/snd_soc_msm directory.

5) Set the permissions to rw-r-r (errors and crashes if you don't)

5) Hot-boot or re-boot your phone, and boom ... the speaker is quite a bit louder.

This only "boosts" the external speaker, not the headset speaker, or bluetooth, or the headphone lineout.

Alternatively, if you'd like to know how to do this for future reference, I'll teach you! (because tinkering around is how we all learn in the first place, right?)

1) Open the snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file in Notepad++ and search for "speaker" ... you're looking for the line that says "Comment "Speaker Rx device" "

2) Below that you'll see several values under "EnableSequence" ... you want to edit the "RX5 Digital Volume"

3) Change the default value from 66.9% to something like 75% (I used 72.9 for the moderate and 77.9 for the extreme)

Save the file, copy it over, and there you go.

I would caution against going much higher than 77.9% ... you could do some serious damage to the speaker if you go too high...you've been warned!

You can also play around with some of the other "digital volume" values under the other headers .. such as "headset device", etc.

Good luck folks - enjoy turning your amps up to 11!
    Hello,

Hey guys .. sorry it's been so long! Work and real life definitely started to monopolize my time.

I've received a few PM's and posts on here asking if I (or anyone else) has looked into boosting other aspects of the S4's volume (headset, BT, etc). In my original testing I had a difficult time locating the exact values that would change those settings .. and I'm sure if any of you have also dug into that file, you'll see there's quite a few possible values that look like they SHOULD be the ones that'll do what you're looking for. To this point, however - I wasn't able to get any of them to work.

That being said, I no longer use the S4 as my daily driver (I've got an S5 through work and a Note 4 Edge as my personal) ... but I DO still have my MDK S4 and will be happy to play around with it again this weekend since so many of you have been kind enough to thank me for my earlier work. No promises of course! And I'm open to any suggestions any of you might have noticed in the months since I have been inactive.
    So i'm still working on it...just wanted to let you guys know I haven't forgotten. I've tried lots of different things and haven't had any luck yet. It's possible there's some sort of hard-coded limiter to how loud you can make the headphone jack go, but we'll see if I can't work it out. Give me the next 24 hours to keep plugging away.

Plus, gives me a good chance to listen to a lot Gogol Bordello while I tweak sound settings ;)
    Any idea on what boost those devices?:laugh:
    Totally my bad for not getting those out to you guys yet...life got busy (doesn't it always?).

I think I know which ones will boost those settings, I'll work on it this evening and let you know.
    This worked great! Thank you so much! Extreme distorts it a bit if put all the way up. I know this was bound to happen when tweaking the volume. so im about to try moderate also. But it definitely works.

Edit: Moderate is just right. Noticeably louder! But not that extreme for distortion to be caused. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app