[Q] May have bricked my N7 (deb)

Search This thread

jahames

Jul 24, 2007
So, first, the moral of this story is don't do stuff like this at 2AM after a long day at work.

Tonight, I decided to root my N7 and mess around with a few different roms. Well, apparently I didn't read pages carefully enough because I am now the proud owner of a deb tablet with a flo bootloader on it. My fastboot screen reads:
PRODUCT NAME - deb
VARIANT - deb 32G
BOOTLOADER VERSION - FLO-04.02
BASEBAND VERSION - DEB-GOO_2.37.0_1024

I realized this when trying to install CM11, and got errors saying the package was for deb but device is flo.

I've tried to flash factory, but it still leaves me with the incorrect bootloader. FWIW, I'm doing this on a Mac, and won't have access to a PC for at least a few days. Any help would be really appreciated

StuMcBill

Feb 13, 2010
So, first, the moral of this story is don't do stuff like this at 2AM after a long day at work.

Tonight, I decided to root my N7 and mess around with a few different roms. Well, apparently I didn't read pages carefully enough because I am now the proud owner of a deb tablet with a flo bootloader on it. My fastboot screen reads:
PRODUCT NAME - deb
VARIANT - deb 32G
BOOTLOADER VERSION - FLO-04.02
BASEBAND VERSION - DEB-GOO_2.37.0_1024

I realized this when trying to install CM11, and got errors saying the package was for deb but device is flo.

I've tried to flash factory, but it still leaves me with the incorrect bootloader. FWIW, I'm doing this on a Mac, and won't have access to a PC for at least a few days. Any help would be really appreciated

Have you just tried flashing the bootloader independently? Instead of flashing the full factory package?

On Mac the command will be ./fastboot flash bootloader <name of bootloader>.img

Hope this helps?

Stewart

jahames

Jul 24, 2007
Have you just tried flashing the bootloader independently? Instead of flashing the full factory package?

On Mac the command will be ./fastboot flash bootloader <name of bootloader>.img

Hope this helps?

Stewart

Yeah...gave that a shot too. Flash works, but when I reboot, it still gives me the flo bootloader

StuMcBill

Feb 13, 2010
Yeah...gave that a shot too. Flash works, but when I reboot, it still gives me the flo bootloader

Hmmm, weird! Are you totally sure you haven't downloaded the flo factory image by mistake? I know you will have checked already, but I can't really think of anything else?

Maybe try flashing an older bootloader version?

jahames

Jul 24, 2007
Ok, I was able to flash back to stock, but when trying to flash the CM11 deb image, I got the same error, saying that the package is for deb but this is a flo. Help please?

jahames

Jul 24, 2007
Reasonably sure I had a deb recovery, but apparently redownloading and reflashing the CWM image did the trick. Thanks!

Redlugia

Jan 19, 2014
if you ever have problems try nexus root toolkit. It works wonders if you ever severely mess up any nexus device. :)

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
I am sorry what is WUG, today a guy arrived to my shop with the same problem, wonder if anyone has a solution? thanks

It is here

http://www.wugfresh.com/

It is a toolkit that makes these things very easy. I have used this many times and have never had any issues with it.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Wug's has a toolkit. I prefere fastboot over toolkits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well for beginners the toolkits make things very simple. This one has been around for a very long time and is very stable. I have never had any issues with this at all.

Just have to be sure you follow the simple instructions and make the right selections in the menus.. easy peasy..

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Well for beginners the toolkits make things very simple. This one has been around for a very long time and is very stable. I have never had any issues with this at all.

Just have to be sure you follow the simple instructions and make the right selections in the menus.. easy peasy..

I'm not doubting wug's toolkit. He obviously does a great job with it. I was new once too and I know once I discovered how easy it was to use commands it was like a new world. No more waiting on scripts and hoping tool kits would be updated, etc. Everyone has to learn and so I always offer fastboot options. There is also something to be said about working and earning your way to a mod versus a quick one click. My opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :good:

Reactions: meekrawb

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
I'm not doubting wug's toolkit. He obviously does a great job with it. I was new once too and I know once I discovered how easy it was to use commands it was like a new world. No more waiting on scripts and hoping tool kits would be updated, etc. Everyone has to learn and so I always offer fastboot options. There is also something to be said about working and earning your way to a mod versus a quick one click. My opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :good:

Yes, I agree in some ways but not everyone wants to mess around all the time. Some people just want to take care of it and forget about it.

Personally I work with php,html,mysql and I also have to use ssh commands every day. When doing something simple such as a rom change I just prefer to open the toolkit and not worry about commands.

I agree if you plan on getting deeply into it then it would be best to learn everything and not reply on the toolkits.

Just my opinion though and I was talking about someone who may be doing this for the first time. Commands and the instructions can be very confusing when doing any of this for the first time.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Yes, I agree in some ways but not everyone wants to mess around all the time. Some people just want to take care of it and forget about it.

Personally I work with php,html,mysql and I also have to use ssh commands every day. When doing something simple such as a rom change I just prefer to open the toolkit and not worry about commands.

I agree if you plan on getting deeply into it then it would be best to learn everything and not reply on the toolkits.

Just my opinion though and I was talking about someone who may be doing this for the first time. Commands and the instructions can be very confusing when doing any of this for the first time.

Relying on a toolkit can be disastrous because not all toolkits are alike and I have seen some brick devices. You don't have to want to get "deep" into Android to learn a little something. Some want a quick fix with no understanding of what they're doing do and others want to learn what's going on. There are many tablets that can only be restored with fastboot commands because no toolkit exists.

Reactions: mdamaged

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Relying on a toolkit can be disastrous because not all toolkits are alike and I have seen some brick devices. You don't have to want to get "deep" into Android to learn a little something. Some want a quick fix with no understanding of what they're doing do and others want to learn what's going on. There are many tablets that can only be restored with fastboot commands because no toolkit exists.

While not disastrous, I kind of know what you mean, I started with Wug's (and it is a great toolkit), but once I flashed my own kernel (I used francos app to autoflash so did not have to use recovery or fastboot), I did not realize that by using Wug's a week later that it would flash over that kernel to run those commands and NOT replace francos (I found I was back on stock), lucky by then I had learned enough to recover and no damage was done, but it does point out that my reliance had caused me more work and a bit of worry in the long run.

Still Wug's NRT is a great toolkit...but it should be used as a tool, not a replacement for knowing what to do without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinearEquation

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I was able to flash back to stock, but when trying to flash the CM11 deb image, I got the same error, saying that the package is for deb but this is a flo. Help please?

You flashed a recovery for flo. Flash one for deb.

Edit:
    http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/deb

While not disastrous, I kind of know what you mean, I started with Wug's (and it is a great toolkit), but once I flashed my own kernel (I used francos app to autoflash so did not have to use recovery or fastboot), I did not realize that by using Wug's a week later that it would flash over that kernel to run those commands and NOT replace francos (I found I was back on stock), lucky by then I had learned enough to recover and no damage was done, but it does point out that my reliance had caused me more work and a bit of worry in the long run.

Still Wug's NRT is a great toolkit...but it should be used as a tool, not a replacement for knowing what to do without it.