[REQ] ICS style soft buttons

Search This thread

Galcactus

Dec 19, 2010
Colchester
Before I ask I want to clarify what I want: a small bar along the bottom of the screen that is identical in function to the x10's existing hard buttons, just like in ICS or in Doomkernel touch recovery. I am also aware of button savior, however it did not suit my needs- wrong resolution, incorrect theme, not the right number of buttons and they didn't do what I wanted them to do. Now this may just be me, but I'd like a willing developer to look into this please. Any ideas? If anyone can extract the buttons from the kernel and make them work in ROMs then I'd appreciate you sharing it. Mods if I was wrong to start this thread then close it by all means, it transfer it whatever. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Reactions: TAL333

ldeleeuw

Mar 15, 2011
I'm just being curious here. Why would someone want that? In my point of view it's just taking op screen space and and it's function is redundant because of the hardware buttons

Galcactus

Dec 19, 2010
Colchester
My buttons look like they've gone through 7 rounds with hulk Hogan! Also the glowing lights between them can get annoying (I know there's a script with which they can be disabled, but I'd prefer to have them do I know when my x10 stops responding properly rather than just the screen freezing up). Do kind like to keep the buttons prettier for when my contract expires, and you have to admit; they look pretty awesome, right? Finally, it'd be a single step closer to and ICS experience like the galaxy nexus. I've seen a few other members saying similar things to me and I figured I might as well ask on all of our behalfa :)

TAL333

Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles
If u would give the framework-res.apk

or wait for some hours,i have to download the rom and flash it on my old x10;)

Here is the Framework-res.apk from my phone running Achotjans CM7 v4.1.
I've got essentially what we are talking about in an older version of the Syndicate apps ICS launcher. If you need something from it let me know. The reasons for using the soft buttons are as follows: it is quicker, it keeps one from having to hold the phone while pressing hard buttons if you use a stand like I do, there is so much space and gaps between icons vertically with the stock launcher that even with a 4x5 icon pattern it is perfectly proportioned having a 50 to 60 pixel soft button bar at the bottom (See screenshot),it saves wear and tear on hardware, and it looks really good.

Thanks,

tal333 :cool:

Phone: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i @1.19GHz- White
Android version: 2.3.7
Kernel: 2.6.29-modFXP-DooMKernel-v06 #1 PREEMPT
Radio: 2.1.71
Recovery: BootManager-v2.0 by DooMLoRD
Rom: Achotjan_2.3.7_CM7.1_v4.1
Theme: Honeycomb3D-3Dicons by BKMO

Attachments

• shot_000038.jpg
    shot_000038.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 455
  • framework-res.apk
    7.3 MB · Views: 48

sahibunlimited

Jul 13, 2011
Nagpur
Here is the Framework-res.apk from my phone running Achotjans CM7 v4.1.
I've got essentially what we are talking about in an older version of the Syndicate apps ICS launcher. If you need something from it let me know. The reasons for using the soft buttons are as follows: it is quicker, it keeps one from having to hold the phone while pressing hard buttons if you use a stand like I do, there is so much space and gaps between icons vertically with the stock launcher that even with a 4x5 icon pattern it is perfectly proportioned having a 50 to 60 pixel soft button bar at the bottom (See screenshot),it saves wear and tear on hardware, and it looks really good.

Thanks,

Its only possible for ICS roms
The soft buttons are not only in the launcher its always on(even in gameloft games)
It also have disadvantages like it eats up the screen(obviously)
So post ICS roms framework-res.apk

Last edited:

TAL333

Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Its only possible for ICS roms
The soft buttons are not only in the launcher its always on(even in gameloft games)
It also have disadvantages like it eats up the screen(obviously)
So post ICS roms framework-res.apk

Having it separate from launcher is fine. And CM9 makes sense, since we will be there soon on the X-10. I was finally able to find an tunneled IP in Manchester, England that hadn't had a cantdownload.to within 1 hour so I got CM9 FXP107, loaded it and copied my framework-res so here it is.:)

Thanks,

Attachments

• framework-res.apk
    5.1 MB · Views: 11

sahibunlimited

Jul 13, 2011
Nagpur
Backup rom
Replace(or make a zip ur self,i don't have time:D)
Set permissions

Buttons can be overlapping the screen a bit or can be a bit more small
So tell me how it is...
I don't have time to flash the x10 now

Attachments

• framework-res.apk
    5.2 MB · Views: 77
Reactions: TAL333

TAL333

Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Backup rom
Set permissions

So tell me how it is...

You are Awesome. They are awesome. I need Sleep. Its perfect though. :D
I think I'm ready for Achotjan CM9 now.

tal333 :cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-02-21-03-53-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-02-21-03-53-55.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3,869
  • shot_000039.jpg
    shot_000039.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,763
  • Screenshot_2012-02-21-02-39-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-02-21-02-39-33.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 145

TAL333

Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Backup rom
Set permissions

So tell me how it is...

Should i make a thread?

I think you should definitely make a thread. It works perfectly on CM9 #108. It also has the little 3 dot menu button on most screens and works with the Trebuchet and Nova launchers; so probably all of the launchers except the Syndicate ICS Launcher with built in soft buttons. If people use it for 10 minutes they likely wouldn't want to go back to hard buttons. It would be great if you could adapt it to Achotjans Semc Debrand CM7 Rom. Thanks again, you did a great job.

tal333 :)

sahibunlimited

Jul 13, 2011
Nagpur
I think you should definitely make a thread. It works perfectly on CM9 #108. It also has the little 3 dot menu button on most screens and works with the Trebuchet and Nova launchers; so probably all of the launchers except the Syndicate ICS Launcher with built in soft buttons. If people use it for 10 minutes they likely wouldn't want to go back to hard buttons. It would be great if you could adapt it to Achotjans Semc Debrand CM7 Rom. Thanks again, you did a great job.

tal333 :)

It will only work on ICS roms
We can't get the buttons on GB roms
The Syndicate one have fake on screen buttons and they disappear when any app or game is opened
The one i have given is enables the on screen buttons from the framework-res.apk and it will be their if u open any game,app,etc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm just being curious here. Why would someone want that? In my point of view it's just taking op screen space and and it's function is redundant because of the hardware buttons
    Before I ask I want to clarify what I want: a small bar along the bottom of the screen that is identical in function to the x10's existing hard buttons, just like in ICS or in Doomkernel touch recovery. I am also aware of button savior, however it did not suit my needs- wrong resolution, incorrect theme, not the right number of buttons and they didn't do what I wanted them to do. Now this may just be me, but I'd like a willing developer to look into this please. Any ideas? If anyone can extract the buttons from the kernel and make them work in ROMs then I'd appreciate you sharing it. Mods if I was wrong to start this thread then close it by all means, it transfer it whatever. Thanks in advance!

If u would give the framework-res.apk

or wait for some hours,i have to download the rom and flash it on my old x10;)
    Backup rom
    Set permissions

So tell me how it is...