[Q] HTC Inspire 4G - rooting help please!

Search This thread

blydude

Mar 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
First, please forgive my stupidity on a variety of levels as this is my first post and I recently came from the Jailbreaking scene of my iPhone 3GS but have very little knowledge in the Android area - which is why I came here. :)

I just purchased a used AT&T HTC Inspire 4G off eBay. I would like to root it and run the latest stable Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM, and unlock if possible. Assuming it is running stock 2.3, I would like to root, unlock and flash a clean custom ROM onto it as soon as I receive it in the mail (2-3 days).

I HAVE searched online for tutorials, but have only found crappy, fuzzy, outdated Youtube videos by 12-year-olds, and therefore am not sure exactly what to do. So if I could get someone's professional guidance on how to root, unlock, flash, and what ROM to use, I will be eternally in your debt. ;)

P.S. I'm not entirely new - I have flashed a number of Windows Mobile ROMs, done plenty of iOS hacking, flashed an Android tablet, and do plenty of dev-testing on my PSP. ;)

- Stupid iPhone 3GS Jailbreaker/Android n00b

Last edited:

rhodium9

Jul 9, 2011
First, please forgive my stupidity on a variety of levels as this is my first post and I recently came from the Jailbreaking scene of my iPhone 3GS but have very little knowledge in the Android area - which is why I came here. :)

I just purchased a used AT&T HTC Inspire 4G off eBay. I would like to root it and run the latest stable Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM, and unlock if possible. Assuming it is running stock 2.3, I would like to root, unlock and flash a clean custom ROM onto it as soon as I receive it in the mail (2-3 days).

I HAVE searched online for tutorials, but have only found crappy, fuzzy, outdated Youtube videos by 12-year-olds, and therefore am not sure exactly what to do. So if I could get someone's professional guidance on how to root, unlock, flash, and what ROM to use, I will be eternally in your debt. ;)

P.S. I'm not entirely new - I have flashed a number of Windows Mobile ROMs, done plenty of iOS hacking, flashed an Android tablet, and do plenty of dev-testing on my PSP. ;)

Hey, check out attn1's root kit! Got my Inspire rooted in about 5 mins
Link is here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952352

Also, there's an IRC channel that is listed in the thread if you need any help.

Donations are appreciated!

Reactions: blydude

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
General premise is that you'll need to S-OFF (remove HTC NAND security), then root.

Removing the NAND is usually handled by an XTC Clip (hardware) or Revolutionary (software) method. Some others do exist, just look for the 'S-OFF' thread in the Inspire section to get you started.

Once that's complete, use either the rootkit mentioned above, or something like SuperOneClick to obtain actual root.

Good luck! :)

rhodium9

Jul 9, 2011
General premise is that you'll need to S-OFF (remove HTC NAND security), then root.

Removing the NAND is usually handled by an XTC Clip (hardware) or Revolutionary (software) method. Some others do exist, just look for the 'S-OFF' thread in the Inspire section to get you started.

Once that's complete, use either the rootkit mentioned above, or something like SuperOneClick to obtain actual root.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe attn1's root kit does everything for you including S-Off..

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: juzz86

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
If I'm not mistaken, I believe attn1's root kit does everything for you including S-Off..

I have no doubt your are right my friend :), I was just providing a little insight on why there's more than one step involved. I also ran into rooting issues using the Vivid toolkit, which were fixed with SuperOneClick.

That said, definitely try the rootkit first. They're a killer starting point :)

gmurphy0487

Mar 2, 2011
Titusville, Fl
Just make sure you read the effin manual. If you don't, you won't be able to root it with the hack kit. And you won't get ANY help with it if you don't read the manual.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

blydude

Mar 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Just got the Inspire 10 minutes ago, so I assume go ahead and use the root kit? Then what would be the best ROM for Ice Cream Sandwich to install? Again, I know how to use Google, just want to have an expert opinion on it... Thanks!

Edit: Just ran the rootkit, and flashed ICS 4.0.3 onto it... Booting now!

Last edited:

rhodium9

Jul 9, 2011
There are many great ROMs that exist within the forums. I prefer cynagonmod but of course your mileage may vary. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

blydude

Mar 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I have reason to believe my phone is sufficiently bricked... I did follow the instructions in effin_manual, but something must have messed up. I can get to the boot menu (volume down+power) but anything beyond that crashes. Is there any way I can flash this back to stock and start over?

I found this, but the link is dead...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952224

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

UPDATE: Flashed it back to stock 2.2. Before I do anything else, what is the most recent, stable UNLOCKABLE firmware available? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
I have reason to believe my phone is sufficiently bricked... I did follow the instructions in effin_manual, but something must have messed up. I can get to the boot menu (volume down+power) but anything beyond that crashes. Is there any way I can flash this back to stock and start over?

I found this, but the link is dead...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952224

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

UPDATE: Flashed it back to stock 2.2. Before I do anything else, what is the most recent, stable UNLOCKABLE firmware available? Thanks so much!

First, If you have read the effen manual you would have known what to do in you case.

If your phone was shipped with Gingerbread and you flashed a froyo RUU you are in trouble...make sure that your cell is working properly before trying to flash a custom rom or you will get jammed. By the way, brick means that your phone is useless and were not bricked....the Hack Kit works beautifully as long as you follow instructions. Also, make sure that you are S-OFF and Rooted before attempting to flash a custom rom....

blydude

Mar 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
The phone was shipped with Froyo, and I just restored it back to that.

I had ICS 4.0.3 flashed, but the unlock was not compatible with it and I got a nice little message from AT&T about that. They haven't started charging me yet, but I would like to do something about it before they do.

So can ICS be unlocked at all? Or what is the most recent firmware that can be unlocked?

marsdta

May 9, 2011
I had ICS 4.0.3 flashed, but the unlock was not compatible with it and I got a nice little message from AT&T about that. They haven't started charging me yet, but I would like to do something about it before they do.

Don't understand what you mean here. How is an unlock uncompatible ?Charging you for what exactly?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA

blydude

Mar 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I got a text from ATT this morning saying "Congratulations on your 4G smartphone! 4G data and message rates may apply." I checked online and it was still on my 200 MB iPhone plan, so hopefully it stays that way. My bad, just wanted to make sure it was unlocked.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

marsdta

May 9, 2011
Not sure why you would want to unlock an att phone to use on att.people unlock it to use on other carriers like say T-Mobile.

As to the text,since the inspire is an att phone they will recognize it and will change your data plan accordingly. There really isn't a way around that. I don't remember their being a 200mb iPhone plan but its been a while. But it might be as easy as giving them a call and switching it over and keeping the same plane just named differently.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA

Wulamoc

Feb 20, 2012
I got a text from ATT this morning saying "Congratulations on your 4G smartphone! 4G data and message rates may apply." I checked online and it was still on my 200 MB iPhone plan, so hopefully it stays that way. My bad, just wanted to make sure it was unlocked.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

Welcome to someone who has ATT and is just recalling his experience with it:
1) You can change your data plan up till the end of the billing cycle for that SAME cycle.
2) 200mb is the minimum data plan and you have to (in theory) be on a data plan to have a smartphone on their network.

Moving on to non-ATT stuff
3) You may want to do a little bit of reading and understand the difference between root and unlock.
4) I'll be nice and link a thread with that insight: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076720
5) ... >.<

sicario9

Aug 18, 2012
inspire4g

I want to root my inspire 4g and i dont find anything hetr or in youtube. I need a program to root that att1 treath is close,i nees help plz take me to the rigth place to root my phone.:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey, check out attn1's root kit! Got my Inspire rooted in about 5 mins
    Link is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952352

Also, there's an IRC channel that is listed in the thread if you need any help.

Donations are appreciated!