[HBOOT, eMMC][11/14/2012] JET - The Jewel/Evita Toolkit

Search This thread

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010
If you had SuperCID before downgrading, I have heard trying to RUU with SuperCID will brick the phone

I really don't believe supercid is the issue. Most all modded phones have supercid and have been flashing ruu and ota fine since the beginning. Every second thread would be about ruu or ota bricking their phone, but instead it is only a small handful of users.
We have most users complaining that their modded phone, that likely had supercid, installed the JB update fine and now have the "touch screen wont work on CM10" issue.
I think you need to consider it is something else that is bricking phones as literally millions of ruu and ota have been installed fine with supercid. Ruu and ota flashing is the major reason for supercid.

Perhaps it is just AT&T phones in particular that had the cid changed to get unauthorised unlock tokens that have the issue. Maybe the phone is failing some other check and getting stuck in limbo?

Last edited:

xandr115

Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Woot! Had a slight scare with qdc getting stuck and losing my p4 partition but thanks to the thread and the p4recover tool, my second OneX has survived the downgrade!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

yarrimapirate

May 29, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Unfortunately this seems to be true.
Jet defaults to applying SuperCID.

I don't have access to the OP to update it and yarrimapirate has been MIA for a few months now.

But you can disable it with a command line option. Before downgrading run ./jet -h it will list all options, then just add the supercid option to the command when you run jet to downgrade.

-SLS-

I'm still alive. Life has just kicked my butt in the past few months and I've had zero time for, well, anything.

I asked the mod staff to give you ownership of post#2 in the thread to help with updates.

Sorry for my absence. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things soon.

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
Don't worry man, $%^& happens and life gets in the way. We'll all still be here when you have some breathing room and are able to devote some of your time here. Just focus on real-life for now.

Reactions: Crappyvate

SouL Shadow

Jun 17, 2010
Stratford, CT
www.soulshadow.net
I really don't believe supercid is the issue. Most all modded phones have supercid and have been flashing ruu and ota fine since the beginning. Every second thread would be about ruu or ota bricking their phone, but instead it is only a small handful of users.
We have most users complaining that their modded phone, that likely had supercid, installed the JB update fine and now have the "touch screen wont work on CM10" issue.
I think you need to consider it is something else that is bricking phones as literally millions of ruu and ota have been installed fine with supercid. Ruu and ota flashing is the major reason for supercid.

Perhaps it is just AT&T phones in particular that had the cid changed to get unauthorised unlock tokens that have the issue. Maybe the phone is failing some other check and getting stuck in limbo?

The SuperCID problem really only applies to people flashed to different carriers or ppl trying to ruu. The details of why are not fully clear, but there have been enough ppl between Evita and Jewel (especially on Jewel because to s-off an ruu needs to be run)

Part of the problem is because the ruu checks various version info stored on the phone (such as cid, and various NV items) which has different information than the actual firmware installed. This causes the ruu to flash some firmware files and not others. When it comes to certain firmware, you must have compatible versions.

Unfortunately what I described is just an overview. A fix requires knowing the exact details and manipulating additional files/partitions. But, while we know "generally" what the problem is, we don't have all the details needed to fix it. Couple that with the fact that there is no way to recover from many of these bricks, making testing very difficult or impossible.

Jet (and the process it automates) is largely a hack. As such it comes with a higher than usual chance of problems. As we see, some of these problems are more of a side effect, not showing up until some time later.

Hope this helped clear up some things. Although even we the developers don't have all the answers.

-SLS-

E

ericdhartmann

phone not responding

went through process and it said sucessful hboot downgraded and my phone should reboot but never did nor does the power button work... im sweating bullets here

E

ericdhartmann

stuck

stuck it says cannot read hboot_1.12.0000_signedbyaa.nb0

E

ericdhartmann

omg

its a merical it came back to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Also shows hboot 1.09 in boot loader :)

venom injected HTC one xl

E

ericdhartmann

Thank you. So know I don't have to flash boot img in fastboot anymore right? And I can flash radios and what not?

cgukevin

Sep 18, 2012
its a merical it came back to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Also shows hboot 1.09 in boot loader :)

I was as excited as you are when my phone came back. I did not even finish all the steps in the unbrick thread to do it. Don't know if you went through the same process. However, I start to feel regret that I did it, because no more boot.img flashing doesn't justify the risk of bricking the phone. Anyway, it's all on my own.

E

ericdhartmann

I was as excited as you are when my phone came back. I did not even finish all the steps in the unbrick thread to do it. Don't know if you went through the same process. However, I start to feel regret that I did it, because no more boot.img flashing doesn't justify the risk of bricking the phone. Anyway, it's all on my own.

yeah kinda trivial if you really think about it. i thought i was gonna have a 300 dollar paper weight there for a while. i didnt do all the steps either i skiped a few because it wouldnt read hboot_1.12.0000. i was so excited i couldnt spell miracle lol but thank god for the devs here you guys rule!!:D

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
Just got another Telstra ONE XL - hboot 1.11.
Does anyone know much about this hboot?
Can you flash normally or do I need to downgrade?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

SouL Shadow

Jun 17, 2010
Stratford, CT
www.soulshadow.net
Tell us more about this phone as hboot 1.12 is unusual.

What phone do you believe you have, where did you get it from, what other version numbers, Eg Rom version, can find related to this phone?

1.12 was the original hboot for the htc evo lte (jewel). 1.09 was the original hboot for evita.

The directions in the "unbricking evita" thread mention the hboot_1.12.0000_signedbyaa.nb0 because that's the name of the file included in the "unbrick_evita.zip". Jet actually automates the manual steps listed in that thread. Jet also includes some error and sanity checking and helps prevent problems by accidental spelling/typing errors.

-SLS-

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: This is BETA. It works well, but may still set fire to your house if you anger it.

UPDATE 11/14/12 - Updated OP with SLS's device detection code fixes.

Update 2: Fixed bug in device detection loop causing freeze at "Waking Device"

JET - The Jewel/Evita Tool "kit."

This all started as a downgrade script for the Jewel. You can follow the original JET thread in the EVO 4G LTE forums. I'm creating this thread to track/support issues from Evita users.

JET performs several useful functions, including:
    • Downgrading your HBOOT to 1.09 for easier radio flashing.
    • SuperCID (For HTCDev unlocking)
    • Partition/IMEI backup.
    • Detection of eMMC partitions on a phone stuck in Qualcomm download mode
    • Possible unbricking of your device (depending on circumstances)

JET is and always will be 100% open source and with full support given here on XDA.

Changelog
    11/9/12 - Name change to better reflect the direction of this project. Ported to Evita. Rewrote device detection code.
    11/1/2012 - Added SuperCID capability
    10/24/2012 - Modified emmc_recover to catch stalls at "Wait device /dev/sdXXX......" and try to recover.
    10/21/2012 - Added --recover and --unbrick command line options
    10/19/2012 - Beta posted

Credits:
    Credit for the original EVO downgrading idea belongs to Mac_Gyver as seen in this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1932914

This post refined that process and can still be referenced for manual downgrading:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32761598&postcount=107

Closeone for code submissions and a steady flow of awesome ideas.

SouL Shadow for some slick logging code

Initial Testers (AKA People willing to let a total stranger intentionally brick their phone for SCIENCE!)
    AZ Fadeout
    benny3
    kjcmusic17
    michael.stollaire
    My lovely wife (distract with shiny object, snatch phone, cackle wildly, proceed to brick)
    Some local folks not on XDA

absolutelygrimm and 18th.abn for consulting on the Evita side of things.

The XDA community for rallying behind this project and offering support to your fellow members

Requirements

• Unlocked bootloader and a recent TWRP already flashed. (For most functions.)
    • A NATIVE Linux installation, or a LiveCD/Wubi install. Virtual Machines are NOT SUPPORTED.
      [*]A 32 bit Linux installation/CD, or install ia32-libs or ia32-libs-multiarch
    • Linux Kernel v3.0 or higher (Ubuntu 12.04 LiveCDs meet this requirement)
    • USB Debugging turned on

FAQ
    Q: Help! The tool keeps saying "Failed to flash HBoot" repeatedly. What do I do?
    A: This is a timing issue. If the tool can't get a good lock on your phone, it will give and error and then try again. It will keep trying until it locks onto the phone and can flash. In addition, it is safe to unplug and replug the USB cable during this step, even to another USB port.

Q: This thing is taking forever!! Is it supposed to?
    A: The process usually takes about 10 minutes but can take 15 or longer depending. Unfortunately the process for flashing the bootloader is rather painful, and has to be done in very small pieces. Thank HTC for that one. Ubuntu is also partially to blame.

Q: Is this a bootable CD? Can I use this from Windows?
    A: This is NOT a bootable LiveCD. A LiveCD version (with further enhancements) is in the works.

Q: Is there/Will there be a Windows version?
    A: No. Nor are there plans to make a Windows native version. There are some inherent issues with the way Windows deals with USB devices that prohibits us from accessing QDL. If you're not comfortable trying/using Linux, I suggest you wait for the LiveCD to be finished.

Instructions:
    1. Boot Linux.
    2. Download attached package.
    3. Unzip to somewhere you have write access (/home/ubuntu for Ubuntu LiveCD users)
    4. Open terminal.
    5. cd to working directory.
    6. $ chmod +x jet
    7. $ sudo ./jet
    8. Follow the onscreen instructions.
    9. /happydance

Command Line Options
    Code:
    -b or --backup  :  Backup mode only  (make bakp4 and fsp4, don't force QDL)
    -c or  --cidpreserve : Don't SuperCID the backup P4 file
    -d or  --detect   :  Find device (/dev/sd?)
    -k or  --kill     :  Soft brick the phone by corrupting P4  (be careful with this)
    -r  or  --recover  :  Load HBOOT 1.09 and existing backup P4 (for people who stalled after QDL force)
    -s or  --supercid : SuperCID mod for nonbricked phones
    -u or --unbrick  :  Load existing backup P4 file ONLY.  (Quit QDL without downgrade)

To do:
    • P4 file generation from user entered MEID.
    • Merge both HW versions of JET and detect device at load.
    • LiveCD
    • All requests for features considered!

Source:
    You can follow code revisions for the shell script here:
    https://github.com/yarrimapirate/JET

LiveCD Development is underway. You can follow the code here:
    https://github.com/closeone/JET

I use a modified version of Fuses emmc_recover. I have forked his source here:
    https://github.com/yarrimapirate/emmc_recover

A big Thank You to all who've sent donations! Caffeine and beer help generate code, and a few extra bucks convinces the wife it's worth the time I spend glued to my PC/phone. Your donation money is also being used to buy devices to further test/develop with. :good:
    oh sweet, video coming right up!

Just one step closer to S-Off!
    D
    Deleted member 3452239
    Since I'm not entirely familiar with the problem, I'll ask grim to expalin it to me so I can properly document it in the OP. Thanks for the heads up!

----

Hboot protects itself, I thought sbl3 verified hboot, then it protected itself but that's not the case. Sbl3 is controlling emmc mode from my understanding...

p9 (sbl3) sets emmc mode before p12(hboot) sets protection...........p1,2,3 will never be vulnerable to the same exploit as they have already set their protection well before emmc mode. They are the first 3 partitions so you cannot brick anything earlier in the chain. So, just say, hboot was p7, it would protect itself before emmc mode, and would never be vulnerable. -18th.abn

----

However, if for any reason you cannot flash Kernels/Radios.. Just run the 1.85 RUU and your issues will be solved.

----

To RUU downgrade, you will need to pull mmcblk0p23 from your phone and hex edit it. To do so, open terminal emulator on your phone..

Code:
    $ su
    # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p23

Open this in a hex editor of your choice.
    at 0x0A0 you will see
    ClearAutoImage..2.20.xxx.x...................... x being whatever number is listed..
    change it to 1.00.000.0

Place back on your sdcard
    open terminal emulator
    Code:
    $ su
    # dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p23 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23

reboot to fastboot and lock your bootloader. Boot into your ROM and RUU downgrade