Spoiled by the N5's speed

Search This thread

jbdan

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta
Every phone I pick up and play with is much slower (ie completing a simple task such as turning on, unlocking, sending an SMS, go back home then turn off) than my N5 I've had since launch day. Rooted, stock ROM and kernel, with xposed gravity.

We have a lot of different phones in my family and are on both VZW and TMO networks. 4 iPhone's (4, 4s, and 2 5s's), GS3, 4 GS4's, MotoX, and a BB.

I've also played with friends G2, M7, M8, and RAZR Maxx. There is nothing as snappy as the N5 on KK to date. Not even close imo. Anyone else feel this way when they pick up another mobile device?

Nexus5

-Grift-

Jan 9, 2011
Singapore
Yeah came from the SII I9100 and android never looked the same :3

Jumped from

Dual core 1.2 GHz --> Quad core 2.3 GHz
1GB RAM --> 2GB RAM
4.3 Inch screen --> 5 Inch screen

The next time I change my phone its either a Nexus or im jumping ship :)

mufaa

Jun 11, 2009
I have a iPhone 5S, HTC One (old) and an HTC Desire-some****. All of them feel slower than my Nexus 5.

Even iPhone 5S. It isn't slow. It's extremely snappy. The speed is comparable to the Nexus 5 but it doesn't feel faster (maybe due to animations, I guess).

Nexus 5 is pretty great. Between 100% to 60% batter charge, the phone is blazing fast. Then it drops in performance to save battery, I think. But not by much.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
I'd class the Nexus 5 as the smoothest for sure, fastest? I'm not so sure, my m8 is one snappy beast, but it's not as smooth IMO,

Probably due to the difference in transitions

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

eotheod

Aug 19, 2013
Auckland
Yeah, its definitely one snappy phone. I found it about on par with a GPE HTC One, which isn't as bloated as the standard Sense HTC One.
The iPhone 5S feels "slower", but that could just be all of the silly transitions that Apple added in.

ash1684

Mar 17, 2010
Pisa
I have a GS3 and replaced it with N5. When i use the GS3 from time to time, it feels sooooooo slow....
Anyway my girlfriend's GS4 on KK feels a lot faster than GS3 but a whole lot slower than N5.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Nexus 5 is pretty great. Between 100% to 60% batter charge, the phone is blazing fast. Then it drops in performance to save battery, I think. But not by much.

Just wanted to let you know the CPU speed does not change based on battery, even if you're at 5%. It does slow down if the phone is getting hot though.

Reactions: thesebastian

skibbi_pl

Apr 3, 2010
I've also got nexus 5 yesterday. And I'm amazed by it's smoothness and responsiveness. Never ever Samsung :)

zubsz

Nov 4, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I was actually on the fence about sticking to samsung since I had an s2 and loved it. I will never look back again lol, Nexus is the way forward for me. Fast and smooth. :D:

a.vandelay

Oct 25, 2010
iphone 5s with its A7 "cyclone" chip should be the fastest, although it's running a different os so there's no fair comparison. i'd love love love to have an android phone on apple's soc, although with more RAM perhaps.

ej8989

Jul 8, 2012
Manila
Yeah, its definitely one snappy phone. I found it about on par with a GPE HTC One, which isn't as bloated as the standard Sense HTC One.
The iPhone 5S feels "slower", but that could just be all of the silly transitions that Apple added in.

The transitions are all optical illusions so people can call it a fast phone. Good thing they added an option to reduce motion. Without those transitions you can immediately notice that those devices are dual core.

I've had a chance to try an LG G2 and though it has a similar chip, it does not feel smooth like the nexus 5. It stutters everywhere. However, the time it takes to open and close apps are about the same; but still, something feels wrong.

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
I agree, had the note 2 which I loved for the size and the spent. I even swore no phone without spen. After using the nexus 5 sold the N2 and never looked back. The note 2 was so slow compared to the N5.

Although I am really interested in the HTC M8. With SD card I can finally put all my music on the SD card plus with there being a Google play edition I don't suppose updates will be an issue. Even if I buy the T-Mobile version I can still install latest update if sense lags.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
I played with the newest one (m8) at the ATT store (because what better to do than when you are bored to go play with the newest phones) and found it to be equal to the n5. That is my personal opinion.

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego
I had a HTC One M7 GPE before and the N5 is much smoother and faster especially scrolling through Google+, Facebook etc.

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
The transitions are all optical illusions so people can call it a fast phone. Good thing they added an option to reduce motion. Without those transitions you can immediately notice that those devices are dual core.

I've had a chance to try an LG G2 and though it has a similar chip, it does not feel smooth like the nexus 5. It stutters everywhere. However, the time it takes to open and close apps are about the same; but still, something feels wrong.

However, smoothness comes from animation, not immediately jolting you from one static app to another (which is rather jarring from a user experience point of view). In that regard, when it comes to making a pleasant operating system, Apple has it right. Of course, on my Nexus 5, I just bump up the animations to either 1.5x or 2x and I love it.

It's nice to have a smooth animation between screens because by the time the animation has finished, the app is fully loaded and ready to go. That makes Android feel a lot more polished to me (especially since Android's multitasking is still so unpredictable in terms of whether or not that app you just left will still be in the same state when you resume; often times, it needs to refresh itself before I can start tapping away).

Put simply, I don't care if animations are "tricking" me into thinking my phone' OS is smooth. The effect it has on the user experience makes those animations worth using. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Every phone I pick up and play with is much slower (ie completing a simple task such as turning on, unlocking, sending an SMS, go back home then turn off) than my N5 I've had since launch day. Rooted, stock ROM and kernel, with xposed gravity.

We have a lot of different phones in my family and are on both VZW and TMO networks. 4 iPhone's (4, 4s, and 2 5s's), GS3, 4 GS4's, MotoX, and a BB.

I've also played with friends G2, M7, M8, and RAZR Maxx. There is nothing as snappy as the N5 on KK to date. Not even close imo. Anyone else feel this way when they pick up another mobile device?

Nexus5
    Trust me, I've tried. It really doesn't. Because no matter what runtime you use, what kernel you use, what optimization you use, the first time you launch any app (at least first time from boot) there's always a black screen while the app fully loads into memory. If I can have an animation visually transition into the app directly, I'd always take that hands down.

a black screen?
    ive never had a black screen while loading an app, ever(on my nexus 5).

However, smoothness comes from animation, not immediately jolting you from one static app to another (which is rather jarring from a user experience point of view). In that regard, when it comes to making a pleasant operating system, Apple has it right. Of course, on my Nexus 5, I just bump up the animations to either 1.5x or 2x and I love it.

It's nice to have a smooth animation between screens because by the time the animation has finished, the app is fully loaded and ready to go. That makes Android feel a lot more polished to me (especially since Android's multitasking is still so unpredictable in terms of whether or not that app you just left will still be in the same state when you resume; often times, it needs to refresh itself before I can start tapping away).

Put simply, I don't care if animations are "tricking" me into thinking my phone' OS is smooth. The effect it has on the user experience makes those animations worth using. :)

i never use the animations, and have been disabling them for years. if you think your phone feels smooth with the animations, itll feel much more smooth without. and faster!
    I'd class the Nexus 5 as the smoothest for sure, fastest? I'm not so sure, my m8 is one snappy beast, but it's not as smooth IMO,

Probably due to the difference in transitions

Good point. I like the adjective "snappy" best I guess. Speed was probably not the best word to use. The total experience of the N5 with the googs KK is the most fluid mobile device I've had the pleasure of using :)

Nexus5