[Q] AudioOut_2 partial wakelock drains my battery

Search This thread

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Hello, I know, on XDA is a lot of topics with this problem but I didn't find any solution there.

Some days ago I flashed my device to stock ROM 4.1.2 [XEO]. Of course, I made full wipe before flash and I didn't root my device.

I installed apps which I use and problem is here. I read, Viber is draining battery, so I went to settings of Viber and checked "Use System Sounds" and disabled vibrate when somebody sends me a message.

In android settings I disabled system sounds and vibrate too.

List of my apps:

Code:
AirDroid
Any.DO
Apex Launcher
BetterBatteryStats
Business Calendar
Cerberus
Dolphin Browser
Dropbox
Dropsync
EZ File Browser
Facebook
Feedly
Keep
Messenger (Facebook)
MX Player
PicsArt
SMS Backup & Restore
SoundHound
Swapps
Tapatalk
Tasker
Tinylight
Twitter
Viber
Waze
WeatherPro
WidgetLocker
Zooper Widget Pro

At night, tasker turns my device to airplane mode from 03:00 - 07:30.

Battery is really important for me so I will be really very thankful if somebody helps me to fix my problem with drain.

Here is BetterBatteryStats screen:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-30-13-39-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-30-13-39-22.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 17,502

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Thank you for your answer.

Tip 1:
- doesn't work for me. I wrote to CurrentWidget support. They tell me, problem is with Samsung devices (still shows 0mA)

Tip 2:
- have all disabled / enabled

So I found, I must close all aps before I lock my device or use Advanced Task Killer. I read a lot of articles and they don't recommend use 3rd task killers apps and auto-killing is bad for android. So I don't know what I can do now.

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
Bs. If you configure it to automatically kill all apps at screen off then nothing is gonna go wrong. I have set it up and everything is good here. Also use greenify to stop apps from running in the background that you don't want.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

therockk

Aug 3, 2012
Woodbridge, Ontario
I had this issue, i downloaded installed and ran "Rescan Media Root" from the Google Play Store. Problem solved. Without having to uninstall Whatsapp or Viber etc.

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks but I don't have rooted device. Btw still have AudioOut_2 problem.. BetterBatteryStats shows me 15 minutes of AudioOut_2 now..

Black Dawg Down

Aug 20, 2012
It is not Viber, despite what many people say on numerous threads.

I uninstalled Viber and the problem is still there.

To this day no one knows what the cause is. There have been many suggestions but no definite answer.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

And to make it more difficult to solve, it looks like it's completely random.

I hate this kind of problems, the intermittent ones...

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi

I uninstalled Viber and the problem is still there.

To this day no one knows what the cause is. There have been many suggestions but no definite answer.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

And to make it more difficult to solve, it looks like it's completely random.

I hate this kind of problems, the intermittent ones...

It is due to any app that uses audio. To shortlist it is generally in apps that use audio and continue running in background.
The only solution is to kill all apps before letting it sleep.

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Thank you for all replies. Hmmm today I get good stats of battery and AudioOut_2. I don't understand :eek:

hameerabbasi

Oct 12, 2012
Messel
www.iolympiads.com

I can personally confirm that both Viber and Skype (when signed in) cause this wakelock. Also, this wakelock appears regardless of whether you turn off your screen. Play 15 minutes of audio with the screen on, you get this wakelock. Play a game, kill the process, you get this wakelock. It occurs even if you're using the phone, not only during screen off.

Edit: What I meant to say was, Viber and Skype cause this wakelock during screen off time.

Last edited:

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Some hours ago I sent some messages via fb messenger and whatsapp, read some topics in tapatalk and read rss via feedly. AudioOut_2 is high again.

hameerabbasi

Oct 12, 2012
Messel
www.iolympiads.com
Please explain to us what a wakelock is...GT-N7100 using xda premium

Basically an instruction to the CPU that stops it going to deep sleep. But try what I said, set a custom reference in Better Battery Stats, play music for 15 minutes while using the phone. You will get 15 minutes of AudioOut_2.

Reactions: i717

antt00

Jul 31, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Basically an instruction to the CPU that stops it going to deep sleep. But try what I said, set a custom reference in Better Battery Stats, play music for 15 minutes while using the phone. You will get 15 minutes of AudioOut_2.

I have the same findings as you. Get lots of AudioOut_2 wakelock but it actually corresponds to the time i spend playing games with sound on (which obviously happens when screen is on). And even with high amount of this wakelock, i still get my normally great battery life. Hence i conclude this wakelock is wrongly captured, at least for me. :cyclops:

Reactions: tripper22

Black Dawg Down

Aug 20, 2012
Getting high audioout_2 while playing music or games or anything else which produces sound is of course normal, it's common sense.

The problem is when you have 8 hours of awake time when you're sleeping due to audioout_2. My battery went down by 11% overnight because of this.

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi

So you want your cpu to go into deep sleep while you are using it?

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Just configure advanced task killer and greenify. That's all you'll need.

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Hello UtkarshGupta,

so I tried to install Advanced Task Killer and here is my setup:

In settings I checked Ignore service, fron app
Auto Kill Level: Crazy
Auto Kill Frequency: When screen off

I created recommend ignore list and add some apps but I don't know if I can kill for example Clock too.
BTW I see S Suggest and S Voice are runned. I don't know why, coz' I didn't start these apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-49-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-49-23.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-49-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-49-32.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-50-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-50-02.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 942
  • Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-50-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-01-12-50-08.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 881

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
I don't have any ignore list. In fact I deleted the ones which were pre configured. I don't have any issues.

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
but i.e. I'm using WidgetLocker or Apex Launcher. If I kill one of these apps, it will be not a good solution.. hm? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please explain to us what a wakelock is...GT-N7100 using xda premium

I have the same findings as you. Get lots of AudioOut_2 wakelock but it actually corresponds to the time i spend playing games with sound on (which obviously happens when screen is on). And even with high amount of this wakelock, i still get my normally great battery life. Hence i conclude this wakelock is wrongly captured, at least for me. :cyclops:
    Well i think i misexpressed myself.
    What i meant was for instance killing syscope or launcher etc (just examples) will end up in relaunching. So this will cause unnecessary loop. Thay may not be your case cuz you may have optimized it perfectly.. however this wont be the case for every unexperienced user..

I just have configured to kill all apps at screen off.
    Please don't miss guide others.
    I have just 1% drain after about like 10 hours.
    So I see no reason to not use it.

I just have configured to kill all apps at screen off.
    Please don't miss guide others.
    I have just 1% drain after about like 10 hours.
    So I see no reason to not use it.

Yes please stop misguiding people into using 3rd party app killers.

Android has long been designed to keep apps in ram cached to speed up loading (thus fewer cpu cycles - thus lower battery drain overall)

Yes if all that matters to you is maximum standby time then killing cached apps (there is still a better way to do that than using 3rd part app killers) is the way forth. But most people have phones and tablets so that they can use them. There are better solutions out there if u want a week long standby from a phone.

So yes it would be nice if you could stop advertising something that people shouldn't be using since Gingerbread...
    In the JB 4.1.2 i've noticed that I have a huge battery drain sometimes, I found researching with BBS, that the source is the infamous Audioout_2 partial wakelock.
    In the foruns many things are said, but no one knows for sure the cause.

I think I have found the cause, that is, when an app that uses the headset, crashes and consequently not close the resource, or is bad programmed and do not close the resource properly, and the Audioout_2 resource stays forever open.

The only option now is to reboot the phone. I want something better.

My question is: There's a way to kill or clean audioout_2 somehow? Using a terminal, or an app?