[App] HELP!! =) WoL Everywhere v2.2 - WoL PC's and remote-execute *.bat-/*.vbs-files!

Search This thread

nathanas

Sep 16, 2008
The only way I know to get WoL to work over the internet is, in addition to opening the port in your firewall, to add a static ARP entry to your router if you are able to do so. It is explained on the DD-WRT wiki in the article on Wake on LAN under the heading "Remote Wake On LAN via Port Forwarding". (Sorry, I can't post links!)

Apparently, the router doesn't remember a computer's IP address long after the computer is turned off (even if you use a MAC address for routing). It sounds like this may be your problem; perhaps the times you are able to wake the computer the router hasn't yet "forgotten" the address.

If you have a router with WW-DRT loaded on it then this shouldn't be too hard to set up, just remember to enter the commands exactly as they are in the wiki, don't change the MAC address or the IP address that is listed there (you can change the IP as long is it is one on your network that won't be used).

I'm not sure how to do this on other routers, especially ones with stock firmware, and I know it isn't possible on many.
Allright but I think it shouldn't wake up by WiFi Local Network too, if that was the reason.
I use a specific address for my pc (static) on my local network.

Platypi007

Jan 5, 2010
I think it is something about how the WoL magic packet works. The magic packet gets broadcast network wide and the adapter with the matching MAC address knows what to do with it. Since you are already on the network there is no need to punch a hole through the firewall.

However, when you are trying to do it remotely (not over your own network) you do have to get through the firewall. Adding a static ARP entry gives you the hole to get through to broadcast that packet. That is why, I think, it is set up to bind to an unused MAC address and IP address rather than a valid one. Once you are able to get the packet through to the network it does its job as it would if it were local.

I can't remember if I actually opened port 7 for that fake IP address or not, my dynamic DNS isn't resolving right now (I'm thinking the weather has knocked out power or internet at home) or I'd check for you.

Platypi007

Jan 5, 2010
Upon re-reading the WW-DRT wiki article the port forward IS done to the random IP address that is used for the static ARP.

dinghnz

Aug 30, 2007
Hi,

Thanks for a wondefule app. A few questions:

1. Is there an argument i can pass to the application without displayin the user interface. I want it to wake up without having to tap twice or thrice.

2. Is there a way to change the font size of the UI. I am running in QVGA mode and i can't hardly read the text displayed on the UI.

Thanks

c0cllc

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for this wonderfull App! The only thing i miss is the option to enter the subnet mask because without that option i can't power on my PCs over the internet. I need to enter 255.255.255.255 to be able to do that but i gues the internal automatic subnet mask of the app is 255.255.255.0. So that's why it doesn't work for me... :(

trueg

Feb 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
www.computerabuser.com
c0cllc, I have the same issue. I also need to specify a 255.255.255.255 subnet mask in order for this to work.

Also, the application must be using a HTC font (or one of my fonts are conflicting) because the text is not fitting correctly (see screenshot).

TrueG

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 61