[GUIDE] Develop NOW! 3rd Edition - How To Build ROMs, Kernels, and MODs [Hercules]

Search This thread

Cl3Kener

Feb 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
plus.google.com
Hey Everyone!

By request from other overworked developers on this forum, I proudly present Develop NOW! - A Basic Manual to Help ANYONE Begin Android Development.

Now you can learn how to build your own ROMs, Kernels, and MODs!!!!

This manual is Primarily made for HERCULES T-989 and T-989D Owners! If you have another device you will have to change some of these instructions to your device name instead!

Develop NOW! currently has 40 pages! From these pages you can learn…

- How to set up an android build environment
- Basic Development Terminology
- How to build with Linaro
- How to tweak ROM manifests to build your own ROM.
- Cherry-picking
- Forking
- Cloning
- Committing
- Kernel building (Basic)
- Flashable ZIP Creation
- Starting you own ROM
- LOTS MORE!!!!!

For Everyone – Please try to post relative questions here. If you want verification that you have the correct xml string in your manifest this would be the place to post. If you run into weird errors as you follow the manual, this would be the place to post! If you want to let me know how grateful you are for this manual you can either 1) Join my Google+ Community and write a little thank you note there 2) Click “Thanks” below this post or 3) you can send me a dollar. (Nothing says thank you like I little tip once in a while)

This manual is not copyrighted! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT STEAL IT AND TRY TO SELL IT!!! Download it for your personal use! Make sure to share it with your friends too by sending them to this thread! The more the merrier! Everyone can learn to develop!

For Developers - If you are a Developer and think you have an easier way to perform any of the tasks I’ve described in this manual PM me. If you would like me to add one of your tutorials to my Additional Resources Chapter I’ll be more than happy to add you.

Third Edition Download Links

Second Edition Download Links (Guides for Android 4.3)

First Edition Download Links (Guides for Android 4.2.2)

Here is a link to my folder that contains all of the separate guides I've used to make these!

Sources - I've listed the guides that have helped me in Post 3. Make sure to go and thank them!

I hope you find the contents useful!
Cheers!
Cl3Kener

XDA:DevDB Information
[GUIDE] Develop NOW! 3rd Edition - How To Build ROMs, Kernels, and MODs [Hercules], a Tool/Utility for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Cl3Kener

Version Information

Created 2013-09-08
Last Updated 2014-01-25

Last edited:

Cl3Kener

Feb 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
plus.google.com
External Links!

Other Developers who have created some of the tools I recommend in this manual deserve your thanks as well!

Go find all of these threads and thank the developers involved when you get a chance!!!

Project Rookie -This has a guide for doing just about anything. Many items are specifically for Skyrocket but you can learn things such as MOD creation, Kernel Building, and other Advanced Customization. I would start reading here if I were you!

Dsixda’s Android Kitchen - This is a tool that is very usefully for Signing files, unpacking boot images, and many more development things.

AROMA - This was a guide made by CarvsDriver about Aroma.

Creating a Kernel Build Script -Tutorial by Ayysir teaching how you can automate things such as kernel building with a simple bash script.

Linaro Toolchains - This is the Linaro toolchain “hotspot” for discussion. You can learn more about linaro and ask question about building toolchains here.

Flashable ZIP Creation
- This tutorial by wilskywalker is much more detailed than my quick chapter on Flashable ZIPs. Read this if you really want to be a MOD guru!

Bootanimation Creation - ayushrox gives a great guide here on making your own boot animations.

If you encounter another great tutorial let me know and I'll post it here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Last edited:

Koragg618

Aug 10, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes this is truly wonderful :) I can actually try compiling something and giving back to the community :D

Thanks for posting this!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

gruntparty

Jul 11, 2012
CA
HTC One (m7)
Google Nexus 5
This is a gold mine my friend. One stop shop to learn how to to build roms. I noticed you said that your work isn't copyrighted. I know in Adobe Acrobat you can add some form of credentials, watermarks, password protect document, and maybe encrypt it (don't know for sure). Just want you to know options are available if you feel you need to have them in place.

ArcticFish

Jun 3, 2012
Orlando
I've been stalking/taking a break on these forums for a while and I just had to to comment and say Thx for ur excellent work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
Cool :/]

And just earlier today I was thinking I'd make a simplified guide to explain outright everything I did to make jellybeast.. but I think this posting will cover the subjects. Good work!

This will definitely fall into the hands of the Darkside.

I'll be back in a flash

Last edited:

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
You're the best!
I really miss my old phone because people like you.

:beer:

Sent from my PAC-SGH-M919

I'm in the dance boat with my s4 m919. Miss this device so much

"Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." In other words help others find an answer don't just give it to them.

BladeMaverick

Mar 28, 2012
Definitely going to flip through this when I have the time. Been wanting to do something besides make recolours.

Thank you very much for this guide!

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
re: developer's manual

FINALLY! A flashaholic gets to cook in his own kitchen! Big ups to CI3Kener for compiling and blowing this up. I've downloaded my copy. Huge respect regarding the enclosed works. I will use this manual to learn; not sell. Scout's honor!:good:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
create a book?

"Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." In other words help others find an answer don't just give it to them.

Negrin82

Feb 16, 2013
Yabucoa
I'm a web and desktop developer and I've been looking for a tutorial like this, thanks as soon as I get the time I'll be on this. The first copy will be send to you. Me quito el sombrero....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: Cl3Kener

cwillison94

May 7, 2011
Guelph
I so wish I had time to use this guide. This looks really informative, great job

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Uisng an old HP pavilion dv2000 series with 2 gb of ram and 250gb HDD.
Dual booting with Win8, using 4gb of swap partition before installation of Ubuntu OS.
Running great, is not slow just my internet a bit :p

Screenshot%20from%202013-07-12%2010%3A16%3A11.png

NOTE: i found a few bugs in the script but with a lil bit of common sense you can figure it out on how to fix them.

wizkidj

Jul 9, 2013
Great job Kener. This is the kind of stuff that keeps the Devs and flashers here.
sent from my xylonified phone....

Reactions: Cl3Kener

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Everyone!

By request from other overworked developers on this forum, I proudly present Develop NOW! - A Basic Manual to Help ANYONE Begin Android Development.

Now you can learn how to build your own ROMs, Kernels, and MODs!!!!

This manual is Primarily made for HERCULES T-989 and T-989D Owners! If you have another device you will have to change some of these instructions to your device name instead!

Develop NOW! currently has 40 pages! From these pages you can learn…

- How to set up an android build environment
    - Basic Development Terminology
    - How to build with Linaro
    - How to tweak ROM manifests to build your own ROM.
    - Cherry-picking
    - Forking
    - Cloning
    - Committing
    - Kernel building (Basic)
    - Flashable ZIP Creation
    - Starting you own ROM
    - LOTS MORE!!!!!

For Everyone – Please try to post relative questions here. If you want verification that you have the correct xml string in your manifest this would be the place to post. If you run into weird errors as you follow the manual, this would be the place to post! If you want to let me know how grateful you are for this manual you can either 1) Join my Google+ Community and write a little thank you note there 2) Click “Thanks” below this post or 3) you can send me a dollar. (Nothing says thank you like I little tip once in a while)

This manual is not copyrighted! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT STEAL IT AND TRY TO SELL IT!!! Download it for your personal use! Make sure to share it with your friends too by sending them to this thread! The more the merrier! Everyone can learn to develop!

For Developers - If you are a Developer and think you have an easier way to perform any of the tasks I’ve described in this manual PM me. If you would like me to add one of your tutorials to my Additional Resources Chapter I’ll be more than happy to add you.

Third Edition Download Links

Second Edition Download Links (Guides for Android 4.3)

First Edition Download Links (Guides for Android 4.2.2)

Here is a link to my folder that contains all of the separate guides I've used to make these!

Sources - I've listed the guides that have helped me in Post 3. Make sure to go and thank them!

I hope you find the contents useful!
    Cheers!
    Cl3Kener

XDA:DevDB Information
    [GUIDE] Develop NOW! 3rd Edition - How To Build ROMs, Kernels, and MODs [Hercules], a Tool/Utility for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    Cl3Kener

Version Information

Created 2013-09-08
    Last Updated 2014-01-25
    External Links!

Other Developers who have created some of the tools I recommend in this manual deserve your thanks as well!

Go find all of these threads and thank the developers involved when you get a chance!!!

Project Rookie -This has a guide for doing just about anything. Many items are specifically for Skyrocket but you can learn things such as MOD creation, Kernel Building, and other Advanced Customization. I would start reading here if I were you!

Dsixda’s Android Kitchen - This is a tool that is very usefully for Signing files, unpacking boot images, and many more development things.

AROMA - This was a guide made by CarvsDriver about Aroma.

Creating a Kernel Build Script -Tutorial by Ayysir teaching how you can automate things such as kernel building with a simple bash script.

Linaro Toolchains - This is the Linaro toolchain “hotspot” for discussion. You can learn more about linaro and ask question about building toolchains here.

Flashable ZIP Creation
    - This tutorial by wilskywalker is much more detailed than my quick chapter on Flashable ZIPs. Read this if you really want to be a MOD guru!

Bootanimation Creation - ayushrox gives a great guide here on making your own boot animations.

If you encounter another great tutorial let me know and I'll post it here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
    Thank you!

Special Thanks to

EDITORS

@MovieGene

@meekrawb

@I Am The Frost

Note: These are my main editors, Thanks to everyone that participated in my drafts!!!

ORIGINAL IDEA

@ThdDude

SOME SCREENSHOTS

@soccerfan6789
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
    Hey Everyone!

Well I have been getting great feedback/ideas for this manual. I plan on making a second edition here in the near future. I've noticed Jelly Bam is already out of date and some of the others will go out of date with the ushering in of 4.3. Due to the many changes that are occuring, I will probably just ride the wave for the next week or two and update the manual once everyone is building 4.3. Hope that is okay with everyone!

Currently I am only planning on updating the building guides to 4.3 and adding LiquidSmooth and Thinking Bridge. I also think I'm going to teach you how to customize your build outputs so that the can say whatever you want. I'll also teach you how to add init.d tweaks and build.prop tweaks as well. :) Don't forget let me know which ideas you have ASAP so I can incorporate them into the 2nd Edition. :)

Cheers!
    Cl3Kener
    Hey Everyone,

Good news!

I've almost completed Develop Now 3rd Edition. To make it more generic I cut out the building section and have been adding either more details or more tricks I've picked over the past few months. I will be posting soon but first I wanted to share with you a post I made showing an example of how I use bash scripts to compile kernels. Make sure to thank Ayysir while you're over visiting his thread. Here is the link to the bash script tutorial http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49684209&postcount=4

Cheers!
    Cl3Kener