ICS expected by April now?

Search This thread

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Google just needs to focus on fixing the infrastructure of Android and NOT releasing new versions. Imagine if PC Windows came in yearly flavors, and Window 2012 would never get ported to Windows 2011 device.

I agree 100 percent[/QUOTE]

Good point, I just wish it was that easy. What makes this difficult is the various components. For example, if we all got together and built the DREAM tablet, lets call it DREAM, we'd be very happy. However, it is most likely we'd NOT make every part. So, lets just take one part. So, instead of making a camera we got a 3 mp camera from XYZ-3. We're not going to make CPU's, so we buy a Tegra 2.

Now XYZ Cameras sells to a lot of tablet manufactures and DREAM is just one. They only care about cameras. So, they now come up with XYZ-5 Camera which is a 5 mp, but it requires a firmware change from Tegra to work. Tegra makes chips, so they only offer the new firmware in their new chips.

Now, back to DREAM, we're out of XWY-3 and call in a new order. They tell us that they no longer make the xyz-3, but the XYZ-5 is better and is for the same price. However, it only works with Tegra Firmware 3. There are no drivers for the Tegra 2 because the Firmware doesn't support it.

Now the mess starts, and this is happening faster and faster each year.

Note: This is an example ONLY, so no need for someone to start saying Tegra 3 supports Tegra 2 firmware or that mfg's making xyz-3 would be backwards compatible with xyz-2. Again, this is an example and is what my company deals with on a daily bases and becomes a snowball real quick. It seems to now start happening around about 8 months. In the past, 18 to 24 months seemed to be the norm. There are times when it's dormant and then it breaks out again. In other words, tablet manufactures don't make tablets. They just get all the parts and assemble them. Just like Dell on the PC side. They do NOT make motherboards, HD, etc. Matter of fact, I don't think they make anything.

TD

"Take your stinking locked bootloader of my tablet you damn dirty ACER company"

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Lost Blonde chic

Does this dream tablet come in pink .Does use gps to be sure i dont step in cyber doggie Doooo .. Because lately all this ice yes and no stuff is just that..

i DREAM OF A Hot redhead To love me Forever.. oops i already have that 25 years now.. why cant android be so simple... Now i go away and cry after posting this total useless meaningless post... Giggles.. oops Boohoooooo:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee
Good point, I just wish it was that easy. What makes this difficult is the various components. For example, if we all got together and built the DREAM tablet, lets call it DREAM, we'd be very happy. However, it is most likely we'd NOT make every part. So, lets just take one part. So, instead of making a camera we got a 3 mp camera from XYZ-3. We're not going to make CPU's, so we buy a Tegra 2.

Now XYZ Cameras sells to a lot of tablet manufactures and DREAM is just one. They only care about cameras. So, they now come up with XYZ-5 Camera which is a 5 mp, but it requires a firmware change from Tegra to work. Tegra makes chips, so they only offer the new firmware in their new chips.

Now, back to DREAM, we're out of XWY-3 and call in a new order. They tell us that they no longer make the xyz-3, but the XYZ-5 is better and is for the same price. However, it only works with Tegra Firmware 3. There are no drivers for the Tegra 2 because the Firmware doesn't support it.

Note: This is an example ONLY, so no need for someone to start saying Tegra 3 supports Tegra 2 firmware or that mfg's making xyz-3 would be backwards compatible with xyz-2. Again, this is an example and is what my company deals with on a daily bases and becomes a snowball real quick. It seems to now start happening around about 8 months. In the past, 18 to 24 months seemed to be the norm. There are times when it's dormant and then it breaks out again. In other words, tablet manufactures don't make tablets. They just get all the parts and assemble them. Just like Dell on the PC side. They do NOT make motherboards, HD, etc. Matter of fact, I don't think they make anything.

TD

I appreciate your continued post whoring of every ICS thread in this forum.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
I appreciate your continued post whoring of every ICS thread in this forum.

Keep up the good work.

If anyone cares, my Xoom got ICS last night. Some issues, but the OTA came through. Rooting isn't an issue because they allow you to unlock the bootloader and we got it rooted already.

Since we got the word from Motorola it was coming, we were prepared it only broke one application which we had already fixed.

Like: When you turn on the tablet you can slide to the camera to unlock the screen and take pictures.

Dislike: Apps are just apps now. No 'apps' and 'my apps' distinction, it's all just apps. So you cannot tell which ones you installed. And, in the apps, there's no 'ghost' outline of apps off the screen, so you cannot tell there are more pages of apps to the left of right.

If you didn't know any better you might not even know it changed. I have several other MFG's models here, so it will be interesting to see if other OEM's implement the same way.

PS. With a locked bootloader, I'm not sure how you'd root a tablet that goes to ICS.

Anyway my 2¢

Last edited:

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee
Like: When you turn on the tablet you can slide to the camera to unlock the screen and take pictures.

Dislike: Apps are just apps now. No 'apps' and 'my apps' distinction, it's all just apps. So you cannot tell which ones you installed. And, in the apps, there's no 'ghost' outline of apps off the screen, so you cannot tell there are more pages of apps to the left of right.

PS. With a locked bootloader, I'm not sure how you'd root a tablet that goes to ICS.

Anyway my 2¢

I agree on the apps separation, but I put all my commonly used apps on a home screen so it's a minor inconvenience to me.

The browser is a big improvement. After a few weeks I haven't noticed it crash once. The honeycomb browser would crash daily. (Certain websites)

Last edited:

dincdoes.me

May 8, 2011
Detroit
I won't be getting an Acer ill be getting the HTC quadcore ONLY IF ITS WIFI ONLY if anyone has a HTC device you know how well they are committed on bootloader unlocking for the users but carriers are making this a hard task plus HTC is really beautiful!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

qhinton

Feb 24, 2010
Brew City
This is why I really want to leave Android behind. There's just too many devices, different hardware, too many google updates, no control over manufactures, no timely updates, manufactures not fixing hardware issues (Acer + mic = no video chat oh the GPS too and oh yea wifi).

Its seems that the only tablet manufacture that is trying to gain customers by providing us with what we want is Asus. If they continue with timely updates and addressing issues why by anything else?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

K

kjy2010

This is why I really want to leave Android behind. There's just too many devices, different hardware, too many google updates, no control over manufactures, no timely updates, manufactures not fixing hardware issues (Acer + mic = no video chat oh the GPS too and oh yea wifi).

Its seems that the only tablet manufacture that is trying to gain customers by providing us with what we want is Asus. If they continue with timely updates and addressing issues why by anything else?

REALLY.!?!:rolleyes:
Have you read the "Prime" forums here at XDA lately?
If the way a manufacturer addresses issues is by releasing a new tab because the Prime is riddled with so many hardware bugs, then you deserve each other.
PLEASE go purchase a Prime ;)

Destron56853

Sep 9, 2009

TD

"Take your stinking locked bootloader of my tablet you damn dirty ACER company"[/QUOTE]

My post had nothing to do with hardware or tablets. I was referring to the fact that Google continuously release new version in rapid fire succession and all the have managed to do is segment the Android market. Every new device comes with a newer version of Android and older devices are forgotten. Doesn't matter if they can support the new version or not. Google needs to stop releasing new versions and let the devices catch up. Updates are one thing but stop with new versions. let everyone catch up.

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
If anyone cares, my Xoom got ICS last night. Some issues, but the OTA came through. Rooting isn't an issue because they allow you to unlock the bootloader and we got it rooted already.

Since we got the word from Motorola it was coming, we were prepared it only broke one application which we had already fixed.

If you didn't know any better you might not even know it changed. I have several other MFG's models here, so it will be interesting to see if other OEM's implement the same way.

Anyway my 2¢

"apps" and "my apps" feel pointless to me. You cant even customize "my apps", its just what you downloaded. what if a particular app you like came stock on your device? now its not under "my apps".

also, having had phones before a tablet, I had ICS on my G2 before I had an a500 (my first honeycomb device). Widgets in the drawer was freaking AMAZING to me. I didnt know there was ever a system in place to give you a preview of a widget before you put it on a home screen. Widgetsin the drawer gets rid of a useless section of duplicate app short cuts in favor of standardizing widget previews across phones and tablets. I vastly prefer widgets in the drawer over my apps, I was actually disappointed when I opened my app drawer on my a500 for the first time to see it looking like the ICS drawer but no widgets.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
My post had nothing to do with hardware or tablets. I was referring to the fact that Google continuously release new version in rapid fire succession and all the have managed to do is segment the Android market. Every new device comes with a newer version of Android and older devices are forgotten. Doesn't matter if they can support the new version or not. Google needs to stop releasing new versions and let the devices catch up. Updates are one thing but stop with new versions. let everyone catch up.

True that. Hope they stick with ics for a bit as it's really quite good. To be honest though beyond the hw acceleration I don't really feel like it's much of a step from gingerbread or honeycomb.That is to say, if hw acceleration was already in gb and hc I wouldn't be too fussed about an upgrade.

qhinton

Feb 24, 2010
Brew City
REALLY.!?!:rolleyes:
Have you read the "Prime" forums here at XDA lately?
If the way a manufacturer addresses issues is by releasing a new tab because the Prime is riddled with so many hardware bugs, then you deserve each other.
PLEASE go purchase a Prime ;)

Why would I? I dont own a prime. However i did see yesterday that Asus is offering refunds or extended warrantys to Prime owners.

ctiger

Oct 22, 2008
True that. Hope they stick with ics for a bit as it's really quite good. To be honest though beyond the hw acceleration I don't really feel like it's much of a step from gingerbread or honeycomb.That is to say, if hw acceleration was already in gb and hc I wouldn't be too fussed about an upgrade.

My understanding of difference of GB, HC, then ICS is that GB is for phone, HC for tablet, and they wanna merge all together, so we get ICS. Not too long ago, the resolution was a huge deal for software, I got some so complex structure for the windows mobile that I can't really follow, almost one complete set for every resolution, and can't use on other resolutions. You can get a whole software version for a newly released device, but can't put it onto an older device that has smaller screen.

Also to my understanding, all the parts difference for the tablet exists in PC world for at least 20 more years, other than the CPU, everything was different 20 years ago. Now, even the CPUs are totally different, you get 20 or even more CPUs you can choose from. But you can buy one Windows 7, and install on any of those PCs, press a button called update, and that should figure out the rest... When I had the one that runs vista, it wasn't much a bit deal to buy W7 and put it on it, it is slower, but it works. I know, it's not that simple. Just this bs waiting for new firmware thing, doesn't make sense. And this whole bs might just came from the standard set by apple. When apple dealt with all these s..t, they don't care, they are one company cover all, the software is written by them, the hardware is designed by them, they know all the details, they understand every little bit of it(I hope they do;)) And here we go, the golden MS PC standard of cross platform is long gone, we are stuck in the endless cycle of waiting for the next big thing.

D

Deleted member 2943498

I really don't get it! I've tried Thor's ICS builds and they work besides a few quirks.

BUT: Why are you all so nervous about ICS? It's a big leap if you own a Gingerbread phone but for me the differences between HC and ICS are minor and only nice to have. I could perfectly live with my A500 if it never gets ICS.

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
BUT: Why are you all so nervous about ICS? It's a big leap if you own a Gingerbread phone but for me the differences between HC and ICS are minor and only nice to have. I could perfectly live with my A500 if it never gets ICS.

Well, I guess most of us want it because of the performance improvements: most of the UI transitions and effects are smoother and the browser is a lot faster. Atleast for me those are plenty good reasons to want it, I find A500 as it currently is terribly laggy and lacking in performance.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Well, I guess most of us want it because of the performance improvements: most of the UI transitions and effects are smoother and the browser is a lot faster. Atleast for me those are plenty good reasons to want it, I find A500 as it currently is terribly laggy and lacking in performance.

I so agree with this.. ICS has added a whole new hardware rendering engine into the us. This new render ability increases performance fluid like UI. and improved memory and CPU optimization. that will also lower the battery demand .. Not this update does not have a lot visual changes that you can see and touch. Its how the OS Handles the task you already do..

It will come i do believe. If not from acer but from this forum.. I do want to point out if you are on stock . if YOU DO GET ICS Pushed to you.. i would not jump and install the update.. let it download to install later . then ask in the form dev section. how to extract the link.. Let the DEVOPERS GET IT ROOTED .. or you might be stuck with no root

Reactions: dxjak and skatin707

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to Acer ANZ's Facebook page, the a500 is now scheduled to get the ICS update by April 2012 as opposed to the former January expectation.
    I suppose this is better than not getting it at all :)
    Hopefully, someone will have a fully functioning build sooner than Acer does!

The Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/AcerANZ

Also, attached a picture of the comment.
    The employees over at Apple can't wait until lunch time to turn on there Ipads, while eating there bologna sandwiches and read these android forums. That's there entertainment they look forward to every day, all the 20 different ROMs. versions, HC, ICS. 2.0, 2.1, gingerbread, bricking,fighting, arguing there going to buy something else because there not getting there OTA until April, no support, bad quality,plastic buttons breaking, bad wifi, bad sound, bad battery life. Buuuuuttttt wait WE HAVE FLASH and they DON'T. They must think we are all idiots over here and laugh at us every day and know this is why Apple will always remain #1. I have a stock A500 ( will never get a apple product) that works great and I don't care if I ever get ICS. ICS will never make this Pad work any better for what it is. It is just for reading books ,surfing, some game playing and taking to doctor appointments and playing solitaire while waiting . My A500 reminds me of my motor cycle it is just for fun and it will NEVER replace my car or Laptop. I remember when everybody was crying for 3.1 and then 3.2 and still nobody's happy. The last update finally fixed the market and If I never get another up date I'll happy. Besides ICS was developed for phones not Pads. Its just a glorified Honeycomb to make phone users happy because they never got HC. You can not please all the people all of the time. Let the responses begin:D

I so agree with this.. ICS has added a whole new hardware rendering engine into the us. This new render ability increases performance fluid like UI. and improved memory and CPU optimization. that will also lower the battery demand .. Not this update does not have a lot visual changes that you can see and touch. Its how the OS Handles the task you already do..

It will come i do believe. If not from acer but from this forum.. I do want to point out if you are on stock . if YOU DO GET ICS Pushed to you.. i would not jump and install the update.. let it download to install later . then ask in the form dev section. how to extract the link.. Let the DEVOPERS GET IT ROOTED .. or you might be stuck with no root
    You know, the thing is, Android in general just has a BROKEN ecosystem right now. Every body comes in here posting I am done with Acer, I will never buy another Acer again, and all that stuff, but the problem is not unique to Acer.

It seems every company pushes devices out the door and forgets about them. I bought a G1 and have used Android devices ever since. I buy phones out right - don't do the 2 year contact thing so I am constantly switching up, and ALMOST every device forum you go to, once the device is released its done. You will get minor updates but no major updates. Look at how many phones in the wild today are STILL running Froyo? In fact - that is the VERY reason this website thrives, because we have to count on the awesome people here that are willing to do what they manufacturers won't.

Right now I am running a Samsung Vibrant with MIUI - to Samsung its a dead device. Many people that have it under contract probably have over a year to go before they can upgrade.

The thing is I don't care what version of Android my device is running as long as it runs all the latest Apps. Right now I can probably count the apps on my fingers that WILL run on my Tegra 2 Acer tablet with Honeycomb and WONT run on my Arm7 phone with Froyo/Gingerbread. (Not talking tegra specific apps). On the other hand my Phone can a LOT of apps my tablet can't.

Google is just releasing to may versions to fast, and its leaving a lot of device owners in the dust. It seems the "unofficial" life cycle for any Android device is about a year. Sometimes less. By the time tablet/phone makers get their product out the door Google is cooking up a new Android version and they say well screw it, we have a newer better product coming up let's launch IT with the new Android version and screw the rest.

But when it comes down to it, this is NOT just Acer. All Android device manufacturers are guilty of doing this exact same thing, and so far Motorolla and Samsung have been the worst, but that might just be because overall they have more devices out there. (Xoom does not really count because that was a Google Experience device so it had Google working on it to). And don't get me started on HTC. Right now today people are signing 2 year contracts on Froyo/Gingerbread phones that will NEVER see an update. People are buying Honeycomb tablets TODAY that will NEVER see an update.

Google just needs to focus on fixing the infrastructure of Android and NOT releasing new versions. Imagine if PC Windows came in yearly flavors, and Window 2012 would never get ported to Windows 2011 device.