US Owner of Touch Pro - UMTS Band Question

Search This thread

ajk1116

Aug 18, 2008
So I purchased a UK unlocked Touch Pro and had it shipped to the US. While I hope there will be an ATT radio rom flash in the future, I have a quick question for the veterans out there:

On the Touch Pro, under the Phone Band settings, you can select "GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)"

When I do this all I receive is Edge on ATT, but aren't the UMTS bands correct already for ATT under this setting?

bersca

Oct 20, 2006
Charlotte, NC
So I purchased a UK unlocked Touch Pro and had it shipped to the US. While I hope there will be an ATT radio rom flash in the future, I have a quick question for the veterans out there:

On the Touch Pro, under the Phone Band settings, you can select "GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)"

When I do this all I receive is Edge on ATT, but aren't the UMTS bands correct already for ATT under this setting?

There are several threads on this topic already...Here's one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=410945

ajk1116

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks, I appreciate the reply, but I had read through that thread. I understand that the device is likely in need of a reprogrammed ROM to activate the hardware because at the end of the day it is not working. My question is specifically if the phone setting is allowing me to select the two ATT UMTS bands already why wouldn't I get 3G speed?

bersca

Oct 20, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, I appreciate the reply, but I had read through that thread. I understand that the device is likely in need of a reprogrammed ROM to activate the hardware because at the end of the day it is not working. My question is specifically if the phone setting is allowing me to select the two ATT UMTS bands already why wouldn't I get 3G speed?

I have the UK version of the phone as well and I have the same issue. I have selected the right bands for both UMTS and GSM but all I get is EDGE. The reason for this is either a hardware limitation (no radio antenna to support 850/1900 UMTS bands (let's hope not:)) or the factory installed radio firmware does not include those bands or all those da#@ iPhone 3G users are hogging all the UMTS bandwidth :(. Hopefully all we need is to flash a new radio or ROM to unlock these bands. Just because you can select this band in phone settings does not mean the radio or hardware support it.

Last edited:

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
I have a question for the guys only getting EDGE when they have the correct bands set.......do you have a 3G enabled SIM card? (aka a USIM, some networks require you use one for the 3G to be utilised correctly).

ajk1116

Aug 18, 2008
Hi, in answer to your question, yes I have a 3G compatible SIM. I literally plucked it out of my TyTN 2/ TILT and put it in to the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro automatically found the ATT network, and when I went in to check bands I realized that there was an option for the US UMTS bands. I am guessing that others have been right when they have stated that just because there is a menu option it doesn't mean the radios are properly enabled.

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
Hi, in answer to your question, yes I have a 3G compatible SIM. I literally plucked it out of my TyTN 2/ TILT and put it in to the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro automatically found the ATT network, and when I went in to check bands I realized that there was an option for the US UMTS bands. I am guessing that others have been right when they have stated that just because there is a menu option it doesn't mean the radios are properly enabled.

So currently you are using a HTC branded Raphael? Could you post your ROM/Radio details? (device info in settings/system) Also your ROM build (settings/system->about)?

bersca

Oct 20, 2006
Charlotte, NC
So currently you are using a HTC branded Raphael? Could you post your ROM/Radio details? (device info in settings/system) Also your ROM build (settings/system->about)?

I have a 3G enabled SIM, been using it with the Kaiser for the past year with good 3G reception. I now have the HTC branded Raph (UK version) with no 3G reception, only EDGE. Here's the info on my ROM/Radio:

ROM: 1.90.405.1 WWE (8/1/08)
Build: 19965.1.2.3
Radio: 1.02.25.19

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
OK so it seems the only radios actually in these Raphaels at the moment are all 1.02.25.19, once we have a decent way to flash a different radio stack to it we can see if it makes any difference both in the bands available and some of the reception issues we are seeing so far.

satchmo_d

Aug 18, 2008
I'm not an expert in this area at all, far from it, but but was reading Black's post about his AT&T model and he has 1.01.25.16. Is this what you're going to flash it to once the HardSPL is completed given that you know his radio supports AT&T 3G?

I'm trying to keep up...

shaunco

Mar 24, 2006
My new UK Touch Pro (radio ver 1.02.25.19) is exhibiting this same behavior on AT&T... I have tried all combinations of those dropdowns under phone options without any luck. It does seem very strange that HTC put the US 3G bands in the band dropdown, but included radio software that doesn't support it...

... Why would HTC bother removing hardware supported bands in the software?

mr_Ray

Feb 9, 2006
My new UK Touch Pro (radio ver 1.02.25.19) is exhibiting this same behavior on AT&T... I have tried all combinations of those dropdowns under phone options without any luck. It does seem very strange that HTC put the US 3G bands in the band dropdown, but included radio software that doesn't support it...

... Why would HTC bother removing hardware supported bands in the software?
Because they couldn't get it working well enough in time for the release date, I guess. Similar to what appears to have been the case with the Diamond. The US isn't their main concern at the moment, so delaying a US-compatible version for now in or der to get it to the rest of the world on time.

Either that or it's deliberate act to slow down the grey imports until they do a proper US release in hand with the local carriers.

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
If AT&T doesn't want to subsidize the Pro/Diamond, HTC doesn't really have to worry about putting in 1900 support. And honestly, AT&T is too busy with the iPhone 3G to care about HTC.

On the other hand, I'm sure HTC is very interested in getting in on T-mo 3G (1700/2100). By downplaying 1900 (which is being eaten up by the iPhone, anyway), HTC can gear up for the fresh 1700/2100 band. Paired with Android, HTC could potentially gain a big chunk of US 3G networks.

BoldFace

Apr 17, 2007
I'm a touch pro user in Canada on the Rogers network. I too hope that HTC releases a radio that allows 3g network access. I don't think its a hardware limitation because it wouldn't really make sense to make two versions of the same phone just to disable parts of the radio.

shaunco

Mar 24, 2006
I disagree with the statement that AT&T is too busy with the iPhone 3G to care about the Touch Pro. The fact is that the target audience for the two phones are entirely different and that a considerable amount of AT&T corporate customers still require their employees to use PPC based phones (even if the iPhone 3G supports email push).

Corporate standards don't usually move as quickly as they should, so of course AT&T is interested in extracting more money from customers that purchased a Tilt over the past 8 months and want to upgrade, but are not allowed to use an iPhone.

If HTC removed support because they were unable to get the software functioning properly, I can live with that. EDGE for a few months while HTC readies a new radio software package is fine... EDGE while HTC readies new hardware is not.

mr_Ray

Feb 9, 2006
If AT&T doesn't want to subsidize the Pro/Diamond, HTC doesn't really have to worry about putting in 1900 support. And honestly, AT&T is too busy with the iPhone 3G to care about HTC.

If AT&T weren't interesting in pushing the Touch Pro, HTC wouldn't have went to the trouble and expense of making a specific hardware revision (PTT button) for them. That's not something HTC are gonna do just for the hell of it on a quiet Sunday afternoon.