Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Search This thread

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
I have tried these settings and it either says no service or automatically switches back to ATT Phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

It's quite possible, which is interesting. The settings are nearly identical to the standard LTE APN settings, with the exception that it's Phone instead of pta. One thing I do notice is during the day, the download speeds do go down to 500kbps-2mbps, but start to go back to 15mbps as peak hours get closer and closer. Right now, I just did a speed test and I hit 50mbps.

lurchbyrep

Mar 5, 2011
Pocatello, ID
It's quite possible, which is interesting. The settings are nearly identical to the standard LTE APN settings, with the exception that it's Phone instead of pta. One thing I do notice is during the day, the download speeds do go down to 500kbps-2mbps, but start to go back to 15mbps as peak hours get closer and closer. Right now, I just did a speed test and I hit 50mbps.

You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

I have tried these settings and it either says no service or automatically switches back to ATT Phone.

Can you post a screen shot(s) showing the APN you created?

Last edited:

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
Nevermind I got it to work. My billing cycle just renewed so I cant test if it works, However I wanted to get your opinions on whether or not my speeds are right or not.

At 2:50 PM on a Thursday:

Stock ATT Phone APN- Down: 9889kbps, Up: 8526kbps, Ping: 73 ms

"Unthrottled" APN- Down: 5000kbps, Up: 1539kbps, Ping: 102ms

lurchbyrep

Mar 5, 2011
Pocatello, ID
Nevermind I got it to work. My billing cycle just renewed so I cant test if it works, However I wanted to get your opinions on whether or not my speeds are right or not.

At 2:50 PM on a Thursday:

Stock ATT Phone APN- Down: 9889kbps, Up: 8526kbps, Ping: 73 ms

"Unthrottled" APN- Down: 5000kbps, Up: 1539kbps, Ping: 102ms

These both seem to me reasonable H+ speeds. The stock APN looks to me like you weren't throttled (as you said, you're in a new billing period). I am being throttled right now, and with the default APN I cannot really exceed 500kbps. Several others in this thread have attested to the same speed cap, though I cannot say for certain that everyone's cap is the same in all locations. I find my H+ speeds on both APNs to be comparable, when I am not being throttled, if I run enough tests to see their averages. I have no LTE service in my area, so I am able to see similarity between the two, since they are both using H+ in my city.

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
These both seem to me reasonable H+ speeds. The stock APN looks to me like you weren't throttled (as you said, you're in a new billing period). I am being throttled right now, and with the default APN I cannot really exceed 500kbps. Several others in this thread have attested to the same speed cap, though I cannot say for certain that everyone's cap is the same in all locations. I find my H+ speeds on both APNs to be comparable, when I am not being throttled, if I run enough tests to see their averages. I have no LTE service in my area, so I am able to see similarity between the two, since they are both using H+ in my city.

We'll the stock one I was on LTE but I only had 2-3 bars. I a, from Syracuse NY so I know that we do in fact have LTE, I have just never seem to be throttles so I don't know what it is like.

lurchbyrep

Mar 5, 2011
Pocatello, ID
I just took these screen shots. The first shows a test with the throttled default APN. The second shows a test with the wap.cingular APN. I usually get better speeds than the one shown in the second shot, although it is enough to showcase the difference.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359671780843.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359671780843.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 282
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359671807178.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359671807178.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 288

enzosly

Jan 4, 2013
That's perfect. I will try it asap!!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.

OK I'm not seeing it on post 33... was it taken down? Is there a way someone can PM me?

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

Odd. If that's the case, then I'm somehow on my regular LTE line without throttle.

I'm running JellyBeer v3.55.3.

Here's a screenshot of all the speed tests I did throughout the day. If you look to the 1am area, I did hit 50mbps.

Screenshot_2013-01-31-14-42-18_zpsd2f1789c.png

The time is now 2:50pm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-31-14-42-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-31-14-42-18.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 251

lurchbyrep

Mar 5, 2011
Pocatello, ID
That's perfect. I will try it asap!!

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

OK I'm not seeing it on post 33... was it taken down? Is there a way someone can PM me?

It's there. It's a screen shot.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Odd. If that's the case, then I'm somehow on my regular LTE line without throttle.

I'm running JellyBeer v3.55.3.

Here's a screenshot of all the speed tests I did throughout the day. If you look to the 1am area, I did hit 50mbps.

Screenshot_2013-01-31-14-42-18_zpsd2f1789c.png

The time is now 2:50pm.

Yeah, that's gotta be LTE.

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
If it's really LTE, that makes me wonder how and why I'm unthrottled past the limit. When I was in stock, rooted stock and was using pta with this ROM, the throttle automatically started at 5GB.

lurchbyrep

Mar 5, 2011
Pocatello, ID
If it's really LTE, that makes me wonder how and why I'm unthrottled past the limit. When I was in stock, rooted stock and was using pta with this ROM, the throttle automatically started at 5GB.

I can't speak to that, myself. I am now being throttled for the first time, and it took more than 24 hours since I passed 5gb before I was actually throttled.

hiii_imkris

Feb 6, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
My throttling seems very intermittent. I'm currently at 13gb. As of right now I'm getting around .5kbps but last night I was getting full lte at 28-30mbps. It also seems that it's certain places in town. Weird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

astang99

Nov 12, 2010
On the wap cingular one it drops completely intermittently but then comes back randomly?

ftab

Aug 16, 2012
I think it is actually a glitch in their throttling system. Ever since I started using LTE devices, I've been getting intermittent periods of throttling and non-throttling on my account. I'm well past the 5 GB, and in fact have almost hit 30 gigs. Still have 12 days left in the billing cycle.

Although I have not had success with this trick on my Note 2 yet, I have found that turning LTE off and immediately back on on my iPhone 5 sometimes thwarts the throttling. I have been getting full speeds on it for about the last half a day. I am afraid to take my sim out and put it into my Note 2 now, for fear of the system rethrottling after the swap.

Maybe submitting copious amounts of AT&T Mark the Spot "data - can't connect" or "data - too slow" reports also has something to do with it.

This stuff is faster than my home internet could ever possibly be, and it's a shame it's stuck in the shackles of the throttling/tiered plan crapola, because it could open up so many possibilities if they would let people run wild with it.

Or at least charge a reasonable price for data -- I'd be OK with a data-only plan with a flat rate of $1 per gig. Instead, this $40 for 450 minutes i don't use, $20 for texts I never send, and $30 for 5 gigs or so of high speed data. I'd probably end up paying them just as much money, or even more if I could also tether (since data is data, after all, and then I could get rid of this crap expensive cable internet).

I'm not the type to stick it to the man and download for the sake of downloading, but I do consume a lot, and I mean a LOT, of audio and video podcasts (mostly video)...averaged 50 gb a month, before the throttling started in 2011. My home connection isn't fast enough to do all of the downloading in the short time I'm there, so yeah...

astang99

Nov 12, 2010
I was trying to say thats what it was doing to Me.

young420

Jun 1, 2011
Same here no throttle

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Same here no throttle

Last edited:

young420

Jun 1, 2011

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360096639878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360096639878.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 254
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360096649471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360096649471.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: Bajanman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
    But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
    This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)
    Try Phone. I'm hitting 20-40mbps during peak hours. (Late night.)

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

OK I'm a rookie with all this but I'm trying to understand. Are you saying there is a way around getting slowed down??

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.