[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Vibrant (FINAL! SAFE!)

Search This thread

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL using this Odin package:
http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/kernel-vibrant-stock.tar.md5

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management instructions are done for you!

Installation instructions:
  1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
  2. Flash Recovery.
  3. Choose Vibrant as your phone.
  4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
  5. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
  6. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

Last edited:

youneek

Jun 29, 2009
Failed the first time. Left me in the stock recovery menu and gave a recovery error when clockwork first started. Flashed again and tried to backup a second time. Looks like it worked perfect! Now we need some froyo!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Failed the first time. Left me in the stock recovery menu and gave a recovery error when clockwork first started. Flashed again and tried to backup a second time. Looks like it worked perfect! Now we need some froyo!

Yes! That is expected! The very first boot WILL FAIL, the recovery needs a kick start to complete installation. :)

Reactions: lincoln131

rsfaze

Jan 14, 2007
Orlando, Fl
little tip

after I downloaded Rom Manager and had it download the recovery for my Vibrant.

After the success message I waited nothing happened so you may have to select to manually reboot into the recovery, then select "reinstall packages" to finish the installation.

sxfx

Jun 4, 2009
I downloaded the clockwork Rom Manager premium and I press the pFlash Recovery button. But I don't see Vibrant in the list either.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Please make sure you guys are on wifi. T-Mobile is caching your webpages and serving you older versions.

ElChibo

Jan 11, 2010
Kailua Hawaii
when i flash the recovery.. and reboot it goes to the stock recovery i hit reinstall packages then it goes to clockwork.. but after that if i reboot it goes back to stock... hmm thats odd..

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
when i flash the recovery.. and reboot it goes to the stock recovery i hit reinstall packages then it goes to clockwork.. but after that if i reboot it goes back to stock... hmm thats odd..

That's how it is supposed to work. Recovery is not replaced permanently. It's safer that way. Just reinstall packages to get into clockwork. Or use ROM Manager to have it handle everything automatically.

ElChibo

Jan 11, 2010
Kailua Hawaii
That's how it is supposed to work. Recovery is not replaced permanently. It's safer that way. Just reinstall packages to get into clockwork. Or use ROM Manager to have it handle everything automatically.

ok i get it now... ive been used to always having Amon-RA recovery on my phone when ever i boot to it.. so what your saying is everytime your gonna flash a custom rom this is gonna have to take place?

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
ok i get it now... ive been used to always having Amon-RA recovery on my phone when ever i boot to it.. so what your saying is everytime your gonna flash a custom rom this is gonna have to take place?

If flashing manually, yes. Just flash using ROM Manager though, and it will handle that all for you automatically.

I can't permanently replace the recovery until the kernel source and whatnot is released for the Vibrant.

dboii54

May 13, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hells yeah!!! Will someone PLEASE put a shipped firmware out now? Like the T959UVJFD. I appreciate the life saving effort from MS_Guru, but t959uvje8 is not jiving with me and my 3g and/or wifi...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL using this Odin package:
    http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/kernel-vibrant-stock.tar.md5

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management instructions are done for you!

Installation instructions:
    1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2. Flash Recovery.
    3. Choose Vibrant as your phone.
    4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    6. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!
    Fwiw, I was having the same problem, so after looking for forever I found this site, go there
    koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries
    dl your .zip for the phone
    put it at the root of sdcard/
    rename to update.zip
    reboot in recovery mode
    reinstall packages...TWICE
    and thats what worked for me.
    how can i find out, i assume its 2e, this phone was never rooted or updated, been on 2.1 eclair all this time, and all i did was root it, now i need to install a custom recovery, or possibly install a custom ROM that will allow me to install rom manager to install a custom recovery, but that is more risky if it doesnt flash smoothly

There is an update.zip of cwr somewhere out there, give me a second and I will try to hunt it down for you, though technically you could just take the rom you want (assume that it is Touchwiz based or cm7, NO ICS) and name it update.zip.

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager website
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-vibrant.zip direct link

rename it update.zip and flash

Yes! That is expected! The very first boot WILL FAIL, the recovery needs a kick start to complete installation. :)
    OK, I'm posting here as a last resort. I searched through forum threads and searched google for half the day yesterday. Perhaps I'm missing something simple and you guys can help me out.

I rooted the stock 2.1 vibrant using z4root, purchased and installed ROM manager premium and flashed clockwork recovery (with the understanding that the update.zip stays on the SD card and I must reinstall package each time to enter it). All this seems to work fine.

The issue is that I cannot flash a new ROM (nero 5). i have tried installing through ROM manager and booting into Clockwork recovery and choosing to install .zip from SD card. The backup and data wipe process works but when it begins to install the ROM the process is aborted saying it cannot find the file. The .zip is in the root of the SD card and is not named "update".

I am able to create and install the blackhole 1.1 ROM using ROM manager which works fine. If I try to install any other update, I'm unable to restore a nandroid because I cannot load Clockwork recovery, even after selecting reinstall package. At this point I have to restore using Odin.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. If you need a screen shot of the error I can recreate it and post it.

Your problem is simple. When you go into cwr select install zip from sd card then choose zip from sd card. Navigate to the zip file with the volume rocker and select it with the power button. You're selecting apply sd card: update.zip. That won't work.
    edit: nero v5 zip file