How to pick custom sms ringtone

Search This thread

taxas

Apr 4, 2011
Hey it seems that i cant pick my custom sms ringtone :/ Is it me that is blind or is it not possible?
I have been able to change the phones ringtone when i get calls but not for notifications or text messages :/

Anyone that can help?

biohaz55

Feb 9, 2010
Buxton
Hey it seems that i cant pick my custom sms ringtone :/ Is it me that is blind or is it not possible?
I have been able to change the phones ringtone when i get calls but not for notifications or text messages :/

Anyone that can help?

SMS tone is set within the messaging app itself.
Open messages, select settings>notifications where you can set what you like.

biohaz55

Feb 9, 2010
Buxton
i still cant pick a custom one mate, only the ones that are already in that list.

If your phone is rooted copy the custom tone to the System/Media/Audio/Notifications folder.
If not rooted see if you have a Ringtones folder on your sdcard and if so copy the tone there and see if it then appears in the notifications list.
Either way may require a reboot before it appears.

Reactions: taxas

taxas

Apr 4, 2011
If your phone is rooted copy the custom tone to the System/Media/Audio/Notifications folder.
If not rooted see if you have a Ringtones folder on your sdcard and if so copy the tone there and see if it then appears in the notifications list.

Didn't work. My phone isn't rooted yet :/

biffsmash

Nov 19, 2007
If it's a song, can you do it from the Music player by selecting Set as ringtone in settings?

Go to the song you like in music player and press settings and "set as ringtone"

taxas

Apr 4, 2011
If it's a song, can you do it from the Music player by selecting Set as ringtone in settings?

Go to the song you like in music player and press settings and "set as ringtone"

well thats the phone ringtone i'm talking about the text message one not the one that i play when somebody calls me. I want the one that play's when i recieve a text message :p

unremarked

Jun 18, 2009
Out There
Create a folder called "Notifications" in the same place your Ringtones folder is on your internal SD card. That should take care of it.

Jun 25, 2013
Custom SMS tone

well thats the phone ringtone i'm talking about the text message one not the one that i play when somebody calls me. I want the one that play's when i recieve a text message :p

This sent me round in circles for a while but there's a really simple solution.

Creating an appropriate Notifications folder as suggested elsewhere is a good idea, then find the mp3 (for example if you've added it to the phone) in ES File Explorer, open the file you'd like (with the ES audio player), then tap the options button (3 dots along the title bar), and from there you can "Set ringtone" - you can choose to set it as ringtone (calls), notification (messages) or alarm.

skeet43169

Anyone that can help?

Use go sms pro that's the only way I've found to set individual contact sms mms ringtones but with 4.2.2 I'm not sure It works worked with 4.1.1 I'm using viperDNA sense 5 Rom which is ported from the htc one and won't me select the system ringtone to set the individual ringtone

Sent from my dlx using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
You could go to play store and download Ringo or Ringo pro.
You can customise a ring tone and a notification tone for every person in your phone book.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

zwwayne

Apr 4, 2015
Constantly ring and vibrate your phone when SMS is received

The walk-around is to make the phone constantly ring and vibrate when an important message is received. I developed an app
that can ring the phone, like a normal phone call, when an important contact messages you.

Try it out to see if it works for you: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textcall.app

leonrrois

Sep 26, 2015
Hey, my phone wasn't able to that as well but since I have a rooted phone, I can do pretty much everything that my phone doesn't handle and if you have a rooted phone you will be able to do this. Just install Root Explorer (if you don't find it in the play store just search on Google: Root Explorer apk) and download it. Now go to right section that says Storage and go to the directory where your mp3 ringtone file is. Copy or cut it and now go to System/media/audio/notifications and just paste it there! With the normal File Manager that it's in your phone won't work, so rooted phones really help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i still cant pick a custom one mate, only the ones that are already in that list.