[R&D] Canadian Modem/Data Drop Woes with KitKat

Search This thread

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
I was about to sell my S4 and pick up the Nexus 5, but I thought I'd start a conversation here first.

I think most, if not all Canadians in here, are aware of the data drop issues we have with our phones when running KitKat roms. My assumption is we still have to patiently wait for Samsung to release us a new modem for 4.4..... but perhaps there are some talented Devs in here who can help.

Over the last week I've been testing almost every kitkat rom available for the jfltecan model. Most ROMs end up with the dreaded data drops. I have spend numerous hours trying odin, mobile odin and cwm flashes of different kernels and modems. I soft-bricked my phone three times last weekend alone trying different combinations.

Here is the list of ROMs I have tried thus far, and a brief summary of my experience. I hope someone is able to make sense of all this, and lead us toward a solution for all ROMs!

Danvdh 4.4.2 Google Edition - data drops
Euroskank VM11 Nightly Kangs - data seemed okay but the ROM itself was sluggish
ShinySide Carbon Kitkat Nightlies - no data drops
iB4STiD Goldeneye, Kangakat, MDOB - no data drops, though Kangakat is the only 4.4 ROM here, what I'm currently running
bippi79 Avatar ROM - data drops
Octane70 Infamous Open Kang Project - I don't recall....
ZPaul2Fresh8 AOKP Kit Kat Unnoficial - Couldn't get this one to boot regardless kernel and modem used
kejar31 Gummy Nightly's - data drops
ks3rv3rg VanirAOSP Nightlies - aweome rom, but data drops
BDogg718 Dirty Unicorns - data drops

I'm a server/network guy, not much a developer myself. So I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to look at which ROMs work, and use that to apply to all the ROMs which don't work... If there is any more info I can provide, by all means just ask. Let's figure this thing out! :)

TIA, everyone! :)

Reactions: ron31

jsr84

Feb 21, 2012
Victoria
I was about to sell my S4 and pick up the Nexus 5, but I thought I'd start a conversation here first.

I think most, if not all Canadians in here, are aware of the data drop issues we have with our phones when running KitKat roms. My assumption is we still have to patiently wait for Samsung to release us a new modem for 4.4..... but perhaps there are some talented Devs in here who can help.

Over the last week I've been testing almost every kitkat rom available for the jfltecan model. Most ROMs end up with the dreaded data drops. I have spend numerous hours trying odin, mobile odin and cwm flashes of different kernels and modems. I soft-bricked my phone three times last weekend alone trying different combinations.

Here is the list of ROMs I have tried thus far, and a brief summary of my experience. I hope someone is able to make sense of all this, and lead us toward a solution for all ROMs!

iB4STiD Goldeneye, Kangakat, MDOB - no data drops, though Kangakat is the only 4.4 ROM here, what I'm currently running
ZPaul2Fresh8 AOKP Kit Kat Unnoficial - Couldn't get this one to boot regardless kernel and modem used

I'm a server/network guy, not much a developer myself. So I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to look at which ROMs work, and use that to apply to all the ROMs which don't work... If there is any more info I can provide, by all means just ask. Let's figure this thing out! :)

What modem are you running?

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
if youre not running modem mk6 youll have the issues you decribed:

i followed this tutorial:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47819176&postcount=9322

and i am using this rom
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537495

lastly i bought fauxclock from google play and downloaded and installed faux kernel ver m not u; m is for a non overclocked kernel.

Zero issues, most stable my phone has ever been. also rom was just updated with a world dialer which is nice if you unlocked your phone an plan on travelling!

also here is another very good rom:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2349077

i have to say; the nexus 5 doesn't impress me at all! Really dont get the hype.

Last edited:

finnmacool

May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I am on CM 4.4 nightlies and have never experienced 'data drops' at the rate you have described. Used carbon, GE and others and haven't seen them there either. I am on MK6 with my I337M.

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
I had been on MK6 the whole time while doing all this testing. Still the data drops as my original post explained.

I'm now using MG1 and while the signal is terrible, I'm not getting data drops. :/

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
Which carrier?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I had these issues but only when I want using mk6, actually I was still experiencing connection problems to come to think of it until I went into access point names and manually switched to lte.rogers

What carrier are you with? I'm with Rogers obviously. I have also unlocked my phone. Perhaps this helps? Worth trying if you haven't yet

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Which carrier?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I had these issues but only when I wasnt using mk6, actually I was still experiencing connection problems to come to think of it until I went into access point names and manually switched to lte.rogers

What carrier are you with? I'm with Rogers obviously. I have also unlocked my phone. Perhaps this helps? Worth trying if you haven't yet

jsr84

Feb 21, 2012
Victoria
I had been on MK6 the whole time while doing all this testing. Still the data drops as my original post explained.

I'm now using MG1 and while the signal is terrible, I'm not getting data drops. :/

First I've herd of issues with MK6 (I'm on Rogers). I've been running MK6 on Danvdh for months without any issues. Best of luck.

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
Which carrier?
I had these issues but only when I want using mk6, actually I was still experiencing connection problems to come to think of it until I went into access point names and manually switched to lte.rogers

I'm with Bell. The apn setting in my phone was always set correctly, automatically.

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
First I've herd of issues with MK6 (I'm on Rogers). I've been running MK6 on Danvdh for months without any issues. Best of luck.

There are multiple examples of this issue in this forum, but they're scattered throughout the many ROM threads. That's why I created this thread - to try to bring it all together.
In those ROM threads, the developers always dismiss the issue as a modem problem, yet there are several of us who still have issues regardless of mk6 modem or otherwise.

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
There are multiple examples of this issue in this forum, but they're scattered throughout the many ROM threads. That's why I created this thread - to try to bring it all together.
In those ROM threads, the developers always dismiss the issue as a modem problem, yet there are several of us who still have issues regardless of mk6 modem or otherwise.

Try the modem from the Canadian KK Package, Make sure you extract it from the tar first and just load it, as the non hlos file is in the tar, obviously.

I've sent you the link in a PM, Don't want people accidentally thinking this will help them with other stuff and screwing up their phones ;)

If you're curious about the source, the main thread is in my post history. I'm currently running this modem in a full Canadian KK build on my phone, 0 issues thus far.

rymanh

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto
Try the modem from the Canadian KK Package, Make sure you extract it from the tar first and just load it, as the non hlos file is in the tar, obviously.

I've sent you the link in a PM, Don't want people accidentally thinking this will help them with other stuff and screwing up their phones ;)

If you're curious about the source, the main thread is in my post history. I'm currently running this modem in a full Canadian KK build on my phone, 0 issues thus far.

I'm confused.. I want to install the Canadian modem too. I've downloaded NC1 rar file and there is modem.bin and NON-HOLOS.bin ..

Which one do I load with Odin. . And do i load it with PDA or Phone?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
I'm confused.. I want to install the Canadian modem too. I've downloaded NC1 rar file and there is modem.bin and NON-HOLOS.bin ..

Extract only the modem.bin file from the tar.
Put it in the Phone slot of odin, and flash it.

I found it took a couple tries to get it to stick...

Flash modem.bin in the phone slot like normal, but uncheck Auto Reboot.
When Odin finishes, let it sit for 60 seconds, then shutdown the phone by pulling the battery or holding the power button.
Then turn the phone back on and go right back in to Download mode, and flash the modem again.
Then reboot the phone normally, and you should be good.

rymanh

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto

When Odin finishes, let it sit for 60 seconds, then shutdown the phone by pulling the battery or holding the power button.
Then turn the phone back on and go right back in to Download mode, and flash the modem again.

Thanks.. it worked like a charm

rymanh

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto
Hi rymanh, could you share the link you downloaded the NC1 modem please?

Hmm this app on my phone won't let me insert links but I found the modem in the general section in the If 370 Canada leak thread.. In post number 21..

Sorry best I can do when I'm not on a computer lol

Last edited:

rymanh

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto

Yeah inserting a URL wouldn't work for me.. Also auto correct is defeating me too..

On a side note.. since the xda developer app is an app made for a community of developers..it amazes me that they can't develop an app that works properly lol..

OK my 2 second rant is over..

Go to the general section.. Canada kitkat leak thread and the link is on post 21

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
Well. I've discovered some more unsettling news.

Per my original post, there are some ROMs that work well with the MK6 modem, and others that end up with data drops.

I thought the new FNC1 modem was going to solve this issue.

But it hasn't.

I was running iBastid's new Skyfall rom with the new FNC1 modem. All was good for three or four days.

Then I went and flashed Danvdh's Google Edition rom. After a few hours of using this ROM successfully, Data Drops. With the same FNC1 modem that worked fine under Skyfall.

It has to be a ROM issue, despite the ROM devs saying it is a modem issue. That is the only conclusion I can come to, having tested multiple ROMs now, with both the MK6 and the new FNC1 modem.

To complicate matters, i've found that the data drops are inconsistent.
For example, today at work all was working well when I was connected to our Wifi. Then I went out for lunch. When the phone switched over to LTE, I couldn't use Twitter or Foursquare or the Play store or Gmail. But Chrome would still load web pages.

Last edited:

JDM STi

Feb 25, 2011
Toronto
Well. I've discovered some more unsettling news.

Per my original post, there are some ROMs that work well with the MK6 modem, and others that end up with data drops.

I thought the new FNC1 modem was going to solve this issue.

But it hasn't.

I was running iBastid's new Skyfall rom with the new FNC1 modem. All was good for three or four days.

Then I went and flashed Danvdh's Google Edition rom. After a few hours of using this ROM successfully, Data Drops. With the same FNC1 modem that worked fine under Skyfall.

It has to be a ROM issue, despite the ROM devs saying it is a modem issue. That is the only conclusion I can come to, having tested multiple ROMs now, with both the MK6 and the new FNC1 modem.

To complicate matters, i've found that the data drops are inconsistent.
For example, today at work all was working well when I was connected to our Wifi. Then I went out for lunch. When the phone switched over to LTE, I couldn't use Twitter or Foursquare or the Play store or Gmail. But Chrome would still load web pages.

Funny thing... I had a similar experience. My S4 had MG2 baseband and I had GE ROM for half a day before I decided to go back to CM. When phone had GE installed and MG2 modem, signal was terrible. It had no signal for some time. But strange though, when phone showed up with 0 bar, it actually could receive call. Very strange!

Afterwards, I found NC1 above, flashed it via ODIN (not mobile) followed with CM ROM. It worked like charm for some certain area but in suburb, I only got 1-2 bars of signal. I also noticed that when switching from airplane mode to operation mode, phone took longer time to pick up signal. Maybe I need to look up a MK6 to try it out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.