I'm done with this tablet, about to put on ebay

Search This thread

XxsydenxX

Apr 4, 2010
Baltimore
Too many damn reboots!
Even on 4.2.2

Only good thing is the incredible ipad beating resolution.

So whats the next best tablet over this nexus 10?I'm in the market to buy like today!

I can honestly say I havent once had a reboot and ive had mine for about 4 weeks now.

Then again i got one with no light bleed at all either...

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Here is the thing with handhelds..

No matter how small, how fancy, what OS... The OS will only run as good as the programs you choose to run with it.

Windows by itself is a fantastic operating system.. Windows with 3rd rate applications can be a nightmare. The open nature of Android is a blessing and a curse.. I've often called the Play Store the best way to shop at a flea market without actually going to one. Every app is "The #1 _____ app on the market".. Everyone.. EVERY-ONE is trying to convince you whatever it is they are selling is the best.. And even the ones who don't appear to be selling you anything.. They will be... They will be.. My app list is small. There are popular apps out there that have half a million downloads that I will flat out refuse to ever let be on my device to this day because I know they cause absolutely nothing but problems. The reboot problem.. I'm by no means trying to discredit peoples problems with reboots... But it's hard to blame purely the OS and the device when there is no one vetting what is allowed to be installed along side, and working with that operating system. Just because it's "t3h Google' and it's a handheld doesn't mean you should be any less cautious and trusting about what you install on it then you do Windows or even Linux... Contrary to popular belief there are a ton of god awful, terribly written Linux apps that can make Debian stable seem unstable. Just because you run the same apps on phone A. and it's stable doesn't mean the same apps on phone B. will also be stable. Buying a Nexus device is also a gift, and a curse.. While we do get bleeding edge releases... The overwelming majority of mobile devices are 2-3 versions behind you, and so are the people writing the applications.

Reactions: Eatonitis

derrick603

Jan 10, 2013
well cool but that still eliminates the app as being the culprit of reboots as a lot of people like to suggest

Yes, no userland app should be able to bring down the whole system.

so thats still an OS problem and not hardware. which means useless to send in back because i have a "bad unit"

It's still possible that in some cases it's a hardware issue. Even a perfect OS can crash if hardware is suspect, and since this is the first released version of A15 cores and Mali T-604, it's possible that some are bad. I would also suspect the GPU drivers could use some work since the T-604 is a new architecture.

still waiting on people to tell me apps that will get me a reboot

If an app triggers a reboot, then the app is hitting a fault in the OS.

sus4ntoh

Aug 13, 2012
I wonder if it has anything to do with existing apps that are installed on some of your N10s. Granted I only have mine for 3 days but so far no random reboots (knock on wood). I upgraded to 4.2.2 almost right after I open it.

So far I am OK with it. I have trouble where the auto brightness keeps going up and down on me whenever I type or scrolling up and down in portrait mode but once I get used to use the landscape mode... I am OK with it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Here is the thing with handhelds..

No matter how small, how fancy, what OS... The OS will only run as good as the programs you choose to run with it.

This is true to a point. Same thing with battery life discussions when everyone uses their devices differently. But when there are multi-page threads that stay on the front page with people all describing similar issues you can pretty much assume it's not a specific (or set of) apps causing the issue. The problems with 4.2 have been well discussed. The irony is people slam OEM's for screwing around with "pure Google" but the apps they replace or tweak peform better than AOSP, at least in this case.

This is from Android Authority...

Random Reboots / Major Instability

Known affected devices: Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4.

Documented? Android bugs [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7], XDA [1] [2] [3], Google+.

File this one under "critical," as well. I myself have experienced this bug - my Nexus 7 rebooted no less than 4 times this weekend, several when it was just sitting idle with the display off. That's... bad. I've since done a factory reset, and in the last hour, so far so good. You'd think a problem this serious would be limited to a pretty specific subset of hardware, but no - everything but the Nexus 4 is affected (which seems to be the case for every one some of these bugs, oddly) all Nexus devices appear to be affected (thanks for the input about the Nexus 4, guys). The reboots occur when opening webpages in Chrome, using Play Magazines, and a variety of other circumstances (like doing nothing at all).

Nexus 10 users are apparently the most-irked when it comes to the reboot issues, with them often occurring multiple times a day. The behavior described sounds a lot like a kernel panic - total system lockup while in the middle of a task, followed by a soft reset. Video playback seems to be one suspect for these lock-ups across all affected devices, with the YouTube app having been cited several times in various postings.

The reboots aren't the only problem, though. On Galaxy Nexuses and Nexus 7's (eg, devices upgraded from Android 4.1.2), performance has taken a complete nosedive. Opening apps, Google Now, or navigating through the UI has become much slower in some cases. I noticed this when I upgraded, too - all that butteryness suddenly got a little less smooth. However, after a factory reset, I noticed marked speed improvements in the UI generally. Personally, this is where I immediately go if I'm having performance problems (and haven't recently installed a new app). There's no use in complaining about it if you haven't tried it already, because that's just what Google's going to tell everyone to do eventually.

However, many posters in various Android bug threads are reporting that factory resets don't alleviate any of these issues - which is highly concerning.

The stability problems don't end there. Galaxy Nexus owners are saying that their phones' displays are randomly turning on without any interaction. The system clock's time is off by anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes when set to "Network Time" for some. Apps are force closing for no apparent reason. For an incremental update, Android 4.2 sure seems to be causing all the problems associated with a much more significant OS release.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Reactions: atg284

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
So had 130 or so hours uptime, decided to get brave and install a bunch of apps. Tablet rebooted twice in 20 minutes, coincidence? Just gotta find the bad one or two or .....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
So had 130 or so hours uptime, decided to get brave and install a bunch of apps. Tablet rebooted twice in 20 minutes, coincidence? Just gotta find the bad one or two or .....

Please let me know what bad apps you find
I use basically same apps on my phone and no reboots,so not really buying its an app problem.even if its app whole tablet should not reboot

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Agreed....but same thing happened with cm10.1 ran fine until I started installing stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
4 for 4 this am locking up tablet with this method.

Box installed but not logged in.
Astro file manager installed.
Launch Astro and have it try to connect to box. My tablet freezes 4/4 this am. No reboots though, it just freezes. I have to hold power button to reboot.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
4 for 4 this am locking up tablet with this method.

Box installed but not logged in.
Astro file manager installed.
Launch Astro and have it try to connect to box. My tablet freezes 4/4 this am. No reboots though, it just freezes. I have to hold power button to reboot.

Yeah freezes just as bad
You still on cm10.1?

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
Did we really need another one of these threads? Seriously, what's the point except to start an argument? You don't like you Nexus 10. I love mine. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. We're all entitled to our own opinions. These threads are a waste of space and I'm sorry I got baited into replying.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Did we really need another one of these threads? Seriously, what's the point except to start an argument? You don't like you Nexus 10. I love mine. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. We're all entitled to our own opinions. These threads are a waste of space and I'm sorry I got baited into replying.

I didnt ask you or anybody to convince me,i already stated i decided to get rid of tablet
Point of post was to ask about tablets comparable to the nexus 10 as stated

As soon as i get best suggestion,this nexus going on ebay/craigslist

No. I reflashed stock 4.2.2 last night.

Dang,i was trying diff nightly roms to see if somebody could find a fix google cant,then wondered if stock could be the answer.but i see no dice
(I was getting reboots out the box with 4.2.1,went custom rom to see if could fix,again no dice...)

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah freezes just as bad
You still on cm10.1?

Are you saying this froze yours too? I left it for 20-30 minutes and came back to lock screen but background was completely black. It sluggishly unlocked to box logon screen but bottom navigation bar was gone. One of those apps or the combo is not compatible with my tablet.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Are you saying this froze yours too? I left it for 20-30 minutes and came back to lock screen but background was completely black. It sluggishly unlocked to box logon screen but bottom navigation bar was gone. One of those apps or the combo is not compatible with my tablet.

Most time it will freeze then reboot on its own
Yesterday it froze trying to sign in to a hotspot,had to manually reboot
But theres no one thing or app using that causes reboot. Normally each reboot im doing something new,smh

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Most time it will freeze then reboot on its own
Yesterday it froze trying to sign in to a hotspot,had to manually reboot
But theres no one thing or app using that causes reboot. Normally each reboot im doing something new,smh

Yes, this is the first time I can duplicate it. However, it is different since it doesn't reboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Too many damn reboots!
    Even on 4.2.2

So whats the next best tablet over this nexus 10?I'm in the market to buy like today!

Cya. I'll let you know how Ubuntu is, and you can sit behind from another 10" tablet and receive all of the future android updates 3 months behind, or a month later and half baked.
    The Nexus 10 was made for those who like to tinker. And as such, the reboots aren't as big a problem as they would be on other devices since they're easily solved by flashing a custom rom.

If you want something working flawless out of the box and dont see an issue with a walled garden, get an iPad. If you can put up with manufacture skins and a lack of speedy updates, get a Note 10.1. If you want to play russian roulette with your build quality, get a Transformer TF700. If you dont care about vast application support, get a Surface. If none of those sound appealing, give up on tablets.
    Too many damn reboots!
    Even on 4.2.2

Ha ha, no reboots here.....ever on any ROM. You were a baby on the note 717 forums too so I don't expect any less

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    To be fair, its pretty safe to assume he won't like his replacement unit either! :good:
    I tried it all. Pointless now though. Already RMA'd it and new one should arrive monday according to tracking info so we'll see

So you should change the title of the posting since you're not done with it :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app