F2FS vs EXT4 comparison

Search This thread

Dark Fear

Oct 12, 2011
Tehran
hi everyone
nowadays everyone are talking about F2FS .. i was interested to experience it and see how good it is
here is a good review as you can see, F2FS wins in term of benchmark.. no doubt about that
but how is it in real life?
i made a comparison for myself and want to share it.. i gave my friend's device and flashed Velocity F2FS
i have HellKat (a cm based rom) on my device.. i must say there isn't "ANY" difference in smoothness and speed
of interface.. (scrolling.. opening and closing apps) .. ANY difference..
maybe F2FS is good for those who want higher benchmarks.. but i don't see a noticeable improvement
in real life..
what do you think? do you agree with me?

Last edited:
Reactions: BassBlaster

carepack

Sep 21, 2010
hi everyone
nowadays everyone are talking about F2FS .. i was interested to experience it and see how good it is
here is a good review as you can see, F2FS wins in term of benchmark.. no doubt about that
i made a comparison for myself and want to share it.. i gave my friend's device and flashed Velocity F2FS
i have HellKat (a cm based rom) on my device.. i must say there isn't "ANY" difference in smoothness and speed
maybe F2FS is good for those who want higher benchmarks.. but i don't see a noticeable improvement
in real life..

you should use the same base for testing. btw thread going to be deleted?
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46847787&postcount=1

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Not a very scientific test as the previous poster has pointed out.

However, here's my 2 cents worth.

On the Nexus 4 I haven't bothered with F2FS because I haven't noticed any perceptible slowdowns on stock firmware/franco kernel to begin with.

However, on my 2012 Nexus 7 I was having a lot of lag issues using stock/Faux123. It was painfully slow at times, even just waking the screen. I converted to F2FS (data only, not system), and the problems evaporated. Did I benchmark? Nope, because anecdotal evidence (my own) was all I needed. It was slow before, then it was fast. I had tried multiple other solutions prior to F2FS that didn't work. Many other users on the N7 2012 have also reported the same experience.

The gist is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The N4 filesystem isn't really broken. The N7/2012 seems to have a worse flash memory, and needs this type of fix.

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
I would love to see this implementation on my transformer tf101. The internal emmc is so slow that our mighty developer found a way to use the external micro sd card as internal memory and tablet became more responsive. But I don't think it's the case with our nexus 4

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

madsurgeon

Jan 30, 2013
I think it should be the other way around. Velocity is so fast on ext4, that f2fs doesn't make a difference. Maybe you should run hell's on f2fs to appreciate a real world difference. My 2¢...

urim225

Oct 23, 2011
Kercova
I want to know when converting to F2FS, is the home and recents lag still there ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

maverickronny

Apr 16, 2009
hi everyone
in real life..

What exactly were u expecting to see?? What tests did u perform. Plz understand that f2fs is a better file system that would prevent ur phn from becoming slower due to filesystem probs in other filesystems. U won't 'notice' anything after few hrs of use.

Also, when u say it's for 'increasing' benchmarks, what do u mean? Benchmark shows how it performs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi everyone
    in real life..

What exactly were u expecting to see?? What tests did u perform. Plz understand that f2fs is a better file system that would prevent ur phn from becoming slower due to filesystem probs in other filesystems. U won't 'notice' anything after few hrs of use.

Also, when u say it's for 'increasing' benchmarks, what do u mean? Benchmark shows how it performs.

Not a very scientific test as the previous poster has pointed out.

However, here's my 2 cents worth.

On the Nexus 4 I haven't bothered with F2FS because I haven't noticed any perceptible slowdowns on stock firmware/franco kernel to begin with.

However, on my 2012 Nexus 7 I was having a lot of lag issues using stock/Faux123. It was painfully slow at times, even just waking the screen. I converted to F2FS (data only, not system), and the problems evaporated. Did I benchmark? Nope, because anecdotal evidence (my own) was all I needed. It was slow before, then it was fast. I had tried multiple other solutions prior to F2FS that didn't work. Many other users on the N7 2012 have also reported the same experience.

The gist is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The N4 filesystem isn't really broken. The N7/2012 seems to have a worse flash memory, and needs this type of fix.
    I think it should be the other way around. Velocity is so fast on ext4, that f2fs doesn't make a difference. Maybe you should run hell's on f2fs to appreciate a real world difference. My 2¢...
    I want to know when converting to F2FS, is the home and recents lag still there ?

if you ask me, there isn't ANY real life speed improvement.. you can use ART.. it sure has improvement..
    hi everyone
    in real life..