[Q] Zte v987 bricked, how to fix.

Search This thread

Ziko_Tamburash

Dec 22, 2013
First of all, hello.

Second, let me explain the problem:

I accidentally soft - bricked my ZTE V987.

That would not be a problem if I didn't also lose my ROM backup.:crying:

What I did so far while trying to fix it:

1. Tried to re - install Bruno's CWM recovery through SP flash tool - was unable to. SP flash tool enable dram fail error.
2. Found out I needed a preloader.bin, found one that worked (have found few preloader.bin files for v987 but all failed to flash except one) - flashed that.
3. Tried Cwm again - success.
4. Instaled Bruno's 3.0 mod rom through CWM, success, but lost Baseband, IMEI, Serial Number, BT and WIFI MAC Address.
5. Tried installing zte v987 china stock 1.0.1 rom through cwm - success, have baseband, but no IMEI, no Serial Number, BT and WIFI MAC Address.
6. Found about sn write tool, used it to restore IMEI and WIFI MAC address - success, BT & SN - fail: SN says it is written yet it is always displayed as 0123456789ABCDEF, but BT MAC sn write tool always fails with BT DB write fail error.

So, from what I managed to figure out, I need either a full ROM Dump from a working ZTE 987, and a way to insert all these numbers back in, or any other way to fix my phone.

To anyone willing to help, thanks in advance, and if this thread is in wrong subforum I am very sorry.:eek:

ChiPhoneUser

Sep 12, 2012
V987 IMEI invalid

I have a very similar problem; V987 showing invalid IMEI numbers but WiFi, BT etc all working. SN shown as 123456789ABCDEF. Phone does not recognise the Engineering mode code or offer an option to enter it via Gravity box. I can't get the IMEI & SN Writer tool to recognise the phone.

I have another V987 with stock ROM - does anybody know how to dump the ROM so I can copy it to my other phone?
(The links to the stock ROM on Bruno's thread do not work)

Edit: Problem solved! I used MTK tools to make a NVRAM dump of the stock ROM then the Flash tool to copy the ROM to my old phone. The strange thing is that the phone remembered the correct IMEI and SN numbers. I now have two fully working V987's!

Last edited:

patrick83300

Apr 26, 2014
I have a very similar problem; V987 showing invalid IMEI numbers but WiFi, BT etc all working. SN shown as 123456789ABCDEF. Phone does not recognise the Engineering mode code or offer an option to enter it via Gravity box. I can't get the IMEI & SN Writer tool to recognise the phone.

I have another V987 with stock ROM - does anybody know how to dump the ROM so I can copy it to my other phone?
(The links to the stock ROM on Bruno's thread do not work)

Edit: Problem solved! I used MTK tools to make a NVRAM dump of the stock ROM then the Flash tool to copy the ROM to my old phone. The strange thing is that the phone remembered the correct IMEI and SN numbers. I now have two fully working V987's!

ok thank I just have to find another V987 :)

VictorVeektor

Jun 6, 2015
First of all, hello.

Second, let me explain the problem:

I accidentally soft - bricked my ZTE V987.

That would not be a problem if I didn't also lose my ROM backup.:crying:

What I did so far while trying to fix it:

1. Tried to re - install Bruno's CWM recovery through SP flash tool - was unable to. SP flash tool enable dram fail error.
2. Found out I needed a preloader.bin, found one that worked (have found few preloader.bin files for v987 but all failed to flash except one) - flashed that.
3. Tried Cwm again - success.
4. Instaled Bruno's 3.0 mod rom through CWM, success, but lost Baseband, IMEI, Serial Number, BT and WIFI MAC Address.
5. Tried installing zte v987 china stock 1.0.1 rom through cwm - success, have baseband, but no IMEI, no Serial Number, BT and WIFI MAC Address.
6. Found about sn write tool, used it to restore IMEI and WIFI MAC address - success, BT & SN - fail: SN says it is written yet it is always displayed as 0123456789ABCDEF, but BT MAC sn write tool always fails with BT DB write fail error.

So, from what I managed to figure out, I need either a full ROM Dump from a working ZTE 987, and a way to insert all these numbers back in, or any other way to fix my phone.

To anyone willing to help, thanks in advance, and if this thread is in wrong subforum I am very sorry.:eek:

Hello! I have a question! How did you complete step 2? I still have my V987 bricked and I can't seem to find an appropriate preloader.bin to wake it up again. I know I'm not exactly helping you, but I would be so grateful if you can help me out with that! I have less than 5 hours with this new ZTE and I already messed it up :(